Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016, 12:45   #46

Boat: Swan 47
Re: Thoughts on biminis A necessity?

Another vote pro-bimini, even here on Long Island. Ours has inset windows so skipper can monitor the sails. My only experience with traveler in the cockpit was actually last night's dinner cruise on a friends Hood designed 38'. Traveller is mounted just fore of the helm at waist height. Very awkward and sucked up too much of the cockpit, esp when tacking/jibing.
agmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:50   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

I would like to put my 2c into the pot!

Firstly, looking at the photo, that is not a cruising boat for the tropics or a cruising boat, full stop. Although I cannot see the foredeck, there is just insufficient ventilation. Secondly, having two helm stations on a 38 footer is pretty daft, IMHO. There are insufficient (actually none I can see) "tidies" to get some of the ropes out of the way or keep that bottle of water - they are using the two small hatches to hide some of the lines in the photo. There are no hand-holds leading up to the foredeck - just two pretty useless ones on the coachroof, that should run the entire length of the coachroof. Some of the instruments are so far away from the helm, you need binoculars to see them forward of the companionway. The mast and boom really look like matchsticks - you want something really sturdy and bullet-proof on a cruising boat. Can you imagine going through a real storm in that thing?

Sorry, I do not think the boat is a cruiser and thus, to me, it makes no point in discussing a dodger or bimini for cruising. Oh, and that couple were just recovering from a bit of flying and shaking sails and sheets - look at the nice tangle at the Genoa clew! I think MatkJ had the correct post.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 14:18   #48

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Saw this thread before any responses, but was sure the majority would be pro bimini. h2o's solution looks good.

I agree sun exposure concerns are real.

I've mentioned elsewhere my preference for no dodger or bimini, so will only repeat that I enjoy the freedom of movement on deck without them. And add, I had both when I started out but they have been removed for several years now.

Instead the umbrella below has served well for about three years and always a breezebooster on the forward hatch. Umbrella shades the companionway and galley, a good perk, and provides a place to sit outside, mostly to read in the afternoon late.

Solutions are easier with only one soul onboard.

Spend more time below, always a breeze through the boat at anchor if the winds stirs at all.

Underway sees me with only a cap, or hat, sunglasses and maybe a long sleeve during midday. I have grown fond of overnighters, maybe late afternoon departures if appropriate. I tend to stand watch on the first step often, then in the shade of the main on deck, then back or somewhere else shaded. Probably move around more than the usual, don't know.

Oh, I have the low boom, traveler issue. Traveler is flush in the aft edge of the bridge deck. Bad spot for dodger/bimini design. Not really a crew flow problem. Just the mainsheet to get around when going below or up to the deck. Actually suits me for sailing. Standing foreward of the wheel, winches left and right, and mainsheet in front or me. Two steps either way runs the boat underway.

Edit,... sorry, sideways pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_387-20160912_164532-1581904271.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	131064  
Old 12-09-2016, 14:21   #49

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I would like to put my 2c into the pot!

Firstly, looking at the photo, that is not a cruising boat for the tropics or a cruising boat, full stop. Although I cannot see the foredeck, there is just insufficient ventilation. Secondly, having two helm stations on a 38 footer is pretty daft, IMHO. There are insufficient (actually none I can see) "tidies" to get some of the ropes out of the way or keep that bottle of water - they are using the two small hatches to hide some of the lines in the photo. There are no hand-holds leading up to the foredeck - just two pretty useless ones on the coachroof, that should run the entire length of the coachroof. Some of the instruments are so far away from the helm, you need binoculars to see them forward of the companionway. The mast and boom really look like matchsticks - you want something really sturdy and bullet-proof on a cruising boat. Can you imagine going through a real storm in that thing?

Some great obserservations here! To be fair though, ventilation is actually excellent, and one reason I like the boat. You can't really tell from that photo, but there are three long portlights that open on each side of the salon. There are also additional instrument displays to the sides of each helmstation.

Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 14:30   #50

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Opening ports are great in a marina when you have a cross breeze, but when at anchor, don't do much. Hatches, on the other hand, funnel the air below deck because your bow is facing the wind at anchor.

Matt
Old 12-09-2016, 14:41   #51

Dodger makes a it lot more practical to sail when raining. If you enter the cabin in a downpour without one , below gets wet. Dodger also makes it a bit cooler on hot days. We use the the Bimini to keep the sun off on warm to hot days.
The last long saili was on, the Bimini was folded, but it was a race (short international race.
I spend most of my time on the Chesapeake.
Daysailers don't have Dodgers and Biminis.
Redpcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 14:48   #52

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

duck board/ bimini with panel on top /helm seat/dodger/boom tent/shade cloth drop behind helm/brace panel -bimini from duck board.

drink holders-wind jen-barbq-fishing rods-tv arial-pdf-dingy-fender holders-
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 14:56   #53

I don't even have drink holders. lol.

Oh and the rain. If it rains I get wet, and have enjoyed it so far, the few times it has occurred while underway over six years. I'm weird.
Old 12-09-2016, 15:27   #54

Boat: Able 50

Too many years sitting in traffic does that to the best of them. I reckon it's the carbon monoxide.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 15:36   #55

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Well four winds, up here when it rains, and it does rain, and snow, and it does snow, I get cold, wet and miserable. my cup holder holds a necessary cup of Earl Grey. My body is totally incased, my head covered and my poor hands stiff, numb and blue. I am so cold I can barely stand erect. I will think of you in the balmy Gulf Coast. So it is all about, Location, Location, Location.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 15:47   #56

Indeed it is about location, 1sunseeker.

Much easier to forgo some options here. Though some still need the shading options to get out of the sun here, also.

But they don't call themselves sunseeker.

I'll probably be equipped differently by the time I make it to more northern latitutes in the years to come.
Old 12-09-2016, 16:02   #57

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtBroker View Post
You'll "die" without sun protection. I have a bimini as big as a billiard table and sun curtains on 3 sides.
OOhhh no! I'm a goner! 30 years of full time cruising, much in the tropics, and never a Bimini. Dodger, yes indeed. Small, half width "under way awning" for extreme conditions, but rarely used. But no Bimini, no enclosure.

I can see the appeal of the full enclosure, but will not accept either the performance or the aesthetic degradation they bring. And despite claims to the contrary, all the ones that I have been in do impair visibility for the watchkeeper as well as make observation of the sails difficult.

If I was to be permanently located in, say, Tasmania, I would likely consider a pilothouse design, but one with an "outdoor" steering/watchkeeping location as well as the interior, well protected one. And that could happen, one day!

Jim
Old 12-09-2016, 16:20   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Actually I would probably cover the entire from with solar panels. Basically make a Bimini out of flexible solar panels and leave the back alone.

But then I really like being able to look up at the sails, and I find a lot of crap at the back of the boat to get in the way.
Agree. Being able to look up to watch the sails is big for me. Not to mention star gazing at night. But the tropical sun is brutal and as I've gotten older so has my skin. To top it off, my wife has already had several small skin cancers. No melanomas but several basal cell and a couple of squamous cell. Sun protection is a must.

I consider a bimini essential but it must also be easy to raise and lower and stow so it's out of the way.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 16:34   #59

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I was thinking of adding a bimini with lexan (or similar) to be able to see the sails, and then have something to cover the transparent panel for times at anchor.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 19:51   #60

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
You couldn't stub your toe in the Dehler 38 traveler without unbolting it and setting it on the deck. The entire track is recessed into the floor.
i could be wrong but, i am pretty sure the traveler is recessed into the sole of the cockpit and not the floor of the boat.
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini