Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2015, 10:11   #61

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Thoughts on a 1962 Columbia 29

So with the dinette version you have the advantage of being able to put a post under the mast step it seems which is a lot easier than what I am thinking for mine. Thanks for the pics!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:28   #62

Boat: Columbia 29 Mk I

Yep, that's the plan. We tried to come up with a better cabin configuration, but didn't come up with much. We'll use the main cabin as the primary bunk space, since sleeping in the v-berth can get kinda rough. Got rid of the dinette completely; we'll make it a long sofa that folds out into a larger bed (hopefully we'll squeeze a full-size bunk out of it). For a table, we'll probably just use stowable trays, like TV trays.
padave29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:31   #63

Boat: Columbia 29 Mk I

We won't be putting another post under the mast step, though - that forward bulkhead will distribute the weight of the mast better, I think. We'll use an arced stainless plate on deck, with a steel elbow underneath, that attaches to the bulkhead. Should be more than enough added support.
padave29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 16:58   #64

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Thanks Padave and Don I'd have loved to sell her to you by the looks of your handy work! Padave, we've put a lot of work in on her but she wasn't too bad to start with. She'd only been let go a couple of years. Our bulkheads and interior were not rotted other than one small section where it steps up under the dinette table.

The holding tank, which for me was a nice fiberglass unit under the forward dinette seat had leaked and rotted it out. It was an easy repair to pulled the tank grind down the glass and lay some new tape and epoxy back over the corners and seems. It looks like it was made out of fiberglass board and stitch and glued with cloth for the seems. They didn't get the cloth wetted out enough and used a large wove roving that allowed just a small amount of water out.

Don your boat is looking great. Is it an original outboard well boat?

Dave I totally agree with a lot of what your planning it sounds a lot like what I was thinking of doing. Good space for tanks under the quarter berths. You might consider one for gas or make half of one of the space for gas. The area under the cockpit is tight and I was only able to get a 12-13 gallon tank in there. Plastimo ( spelling) unit from west marine fit great. There is also some good room in the bulge that might work for a fuel tank too. I guess it all depends on what type of cruising your going to do.

We can get about .7gph at cruise doing about 6.8knts with our new ( used prop). I'd considered and indigo prop but found a nice used 2 blade locally for a steal. I'm very happy with it as it gave us a very much improved motoring experience. The old one was original and cavitated badly. After comparing the new and old it was incredibly worn out.

Keep the old merriman winchs. We love ours and our friends can hear us tack from miles away! Ours polished up great. The paws and springs were in good shape. I replaced the springs as long as I had it apart. Ordered some out of McMaster Carr. A plus to those old wicked is you don't need a self defend weapon if you have a winch handle near by!

I love the tiny tots! Especially if your in a cooler area or doing some off season sailing.

Good call on the cockpit locker hatches. We strongly considered this. I thought the lazertte would be a great place to seal off half of it and make it a propane locker. Seems like plenty of room but again depends how large a tank you want.

Our water tanks under the vberth seem huge at least 40 gallons. Your head looks very different from ours. Our hanging locker door opens to close of the main salon then the head door swings forward and is hinged to clear the mast support. This was probably changed when the support was added. I'm not quite sure how you are going to shower in there. I'm a bigger guy 6'2" and using the head isn't too bad, but showering seems like a stretch. Instead we use a solar shower over the boom. We've found the scuppers to be more than adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-01-2015, 17:05   #65

Thoughts on a 1962 Columbia 29

Also if your going to paint the hull and really make her shine build yourself a longboard sander ( a piece of 1/4 inch luan, contact cement, a roll of sandpaper, two pieces of fowl for handles) to fair the hull. In my hull when inspecting closely you could see where the wood ribs were from the wooden mold used to build them. I used micro balloons and west system ( had it already, otherwise system 3 is cheaper) and faired the whole topsides.

If you don't fair it off first it will really show when you put the glossy paint on her. The interlux perfection paint was great to work with. You just have to tarp off the area your painting as it will not flow out if it's in even a bit of sunlight. Also forget about tipping with a brush. Roll out your roller until the paint starts to get thin then go back over you small work area slowly with the now drier roller and lay down any bubbles. It isn't the way interlux says to do it but I kept getting brush marks even with the best $45 paint brushes I could find.

Old 06-01-2015, 17:09   #66

Thoughts on a 1962 Columbia 29

One last though. Have you thought about a settee berth where the dinette is set inboard from the hull a ways with storage behind the backrest. Then have the berth pull out to make your nice large double berth. You can also make the back rest flip up and latch for ease of stowing gear or to add even more bed space. This way you could use a fold down table from the forward bulkhead.

Old 11-01-2015, 20:24   #67

Yes, I think you will regret not having a good table in there somewhere.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 27-01-2015, 22:29   #68

Hi Dave, and all others interested in Columbia 29s, I added some more shots to my album. Don't forget to check the Yahoo Columbia owners group.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 30-01-2015, 15:39   #69

Hi All! Thanks for the very informative thread and posts, I had a great time reading it all from post 1. Appick contacted me through my blog and suggested me to contribute in this discussion.
I am the owner of a Columbia 29 mki, hull#85, Tranquility. She was built on the east coast (Portsmouth, VA) in 1965 and we found her in 2013 in New Bedford, MA, waiting for somebody who could take over an already started refit.
My wife and I did it, and we are still on it. After the first 6 months necessary to put the boat together we sailed South to escape winter and we found a good home port in Brunswick, GA, where we are continuing the never ending restorations.
I have a lot about Tranquility on our blog and some videos of our journey on youtube.
Columbia29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 16:22   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by padave29 View Post
Thanks, Don! Yeah, I know it's a labor of love (or rather the cost of it in my case). lol I do have some recent pictures of the interior demo work. I'll post them up.
Padave, thank you for posting that, I am glad to see some pictures of destruction, it makes me feel I am not alone.
Good luck!
Old 30-01-2015, 22:20   #71

Hey Columbia29, where are you and let's see your pictures of destruction too!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 31-01-2015, 06:55   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Columbia29.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 17:32   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hey Columbia29, where are you and let's see your pictures of destruction too!
Hi Don, I am in Brunswick, GA. I think you commented on my blog if I am not wrong. Some destruction pictures here, more to come soon. I am getting a huge collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Cabin Floor 2.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	382.7 KB
ID:	96335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Work_RottenFloor.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	96336  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat_Crack under keel.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	96337  
Old 31-01-2015, 18:09   #74

AH! Tranquility! Fabio, your blog is great! Do you have new refitting in the works? It's a nice small (22 and half foot water line) world we have!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 31-01-2015, 19:51   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
AH! Tranquility! Fabio, your blog is great! Do you have new refitting in the works? It's a nice small (22 and half foot water line) world we have!
Thank you Don! We have a huge 22 and half ft waterline world indeed, especially when you are redoing it by the inch. I am putting together a post about the new projects, after long time of silence. How are your sailing adventures?

Tags
columbia