Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2015, 16:21   #121

Re: Thoughts on a 1962 Columbia 29

Wonderful job Don!

You are enjoying your Columbia 29! This is the way to go!

Not sure how many Columbia 29 enthusiast are out there though, as well as what happened to all the C-29 built? Not many for sale actually.
Columbia29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 23:47   #122

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia29 View Post
Wonderful job Don!

You are enjoying your Columbia 29! This is the way to go!

Not sure how many Columbia 29 enthusiast are out there though, as well as what happened to all the C-29 built? Not many for sale actually.
Ha! Well, I think there are at least 3 of us enthusiasts! It is a very exclusive club! Yeah I am having a blast in my little boat. Hey, by the way, another boat I like, the Rhodes 41 is in bluewaterboats.org and I just saw that someone posted links to an album of photos of a TOTAL refit of the boat. It is breathtaking in the time, sweat and $ put into it. But it is a GREAT chronicle of how to rebuild any boat. Go find the Pearson Rhodes 41 and go down to the comments to find the links for refitting hull #8, might be interesting to you! Oh and I am throwing in some more photos for no particular reason. Love the view through our big windows from the galley! Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2215.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	105851   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2231.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	105852  

Name:	IMG_2122.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	105853  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:37   #123

Quote:
I agree. Those conditions are a problem for almost any boat but the Columbia29 suffers it particularly. I had to compensate broaching on a broad reach and following seas for many hours at the helm and it's very tiring. This is nerve-racking especially at night when you don't see the waves and you can't adjust your steering according to the coming seas. I am planning to install a windvane autopilot and excess in weather helm can generate wear in the steering system pretty quickly, so I am very interested in way to reduce the weather helm.

Reefing and reducing sails helps a lot, I take weather helm as a way my boat is telling me it's time to reef. I am installing a deep third reef on my mainsail and ordering a storm jib, for bad situations.

I sometimes wonder about a different rudder. Increasing the size would increase the pressure over the rudder and the shaft (which is bronze on the C29). The effect would probably be good for manouvering in calm conditions, like the marina example, but too much turning power could be stressful for the boat in heavy air.

I am also thinking if it is convenient to add an adjustable split backstay. I have to modify the backstay anyway, because the central installation tube of the windvane system comes on deck where the backstay chainplate is attached. That could be a way to quickly add or release tension to the backstay.
So I finally got a fair chance at exploring the issue of our boats' tendency to broach running or reaching. I came back from a trip yesterday and was broad reaching the whole way. It was not at all extreme weather, just 20 - 25 knots and 3-4 foot swells, but even in that I could see that running or broad reaching in anything over 25 it might be best to just keep the main down altogether. You don't lose much speed I found (I was doing 5-6 knots on jib only) but you do lose the weather helm. When the wind dropped to 15-20, I was STILL doing 5 knots with just the jib. If I had had more energy I would have switched to the genoa and then I am sure I would have been back over 6. Our boats still do like to pivot a lot but with a hefty bit of headsail out there it balances very well. Sure is a sweet sailing boat! BTW I think I may have mentioned before, but my sailmaker recommended a reef in the jib over a storm jib, which I did and I think it is a smart choice. It is easier to reef the jib than switch to a storm jib and if it is too windy for the reefed jib, it may be time to think of other things. The only negative is making sure the reef is tied securely and there's no material flapping madly around when you are done. Most storm jibs sit unused for years because most folks (probably wisely) elect to do something else when the wind is up enough to warrant pulling out a storm jib and trying to set it. These photos are from Santa Cruz Island, Little Scorpion anchorage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2314.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	106781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2307.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	106782  

Name:	IMG_2325.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	106783  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 05-08-2015, 19:48   #124

If anyone following this thread is in California and is interested in the Columbia 29, I saw one for sale in Ventura, CA, Craigslist. It needs work but price listed is $2300. I have not seen this one in person but I would guess that a major refit job of $10-12K would get you a boat that is better than most new boats of similar size for a fraction of the price. The hull is a sound one to build on, you won't find 'em built like that now, and when done you have a great coastal cruiser, and many have crossed oceans. The hull is a Sparkman and Stephens design and sails beautifully. It has a long keel, molded into the hull and rudder attached. It is a safe, strong and simple design. The lead alone in the keel is probably worth that! My only interest in this is that I just hate to see such a great little boat wither away and die when she still could have so much life, and so many miles, left in her.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 06-09-2015, 16:56   #125

I put together a blog post about the refit of my Columbia 29, in this case what I decided to do with the old teak hatches and trims. It would be interestng for me see what other Columbia 29s had originally as teak trim on deck, and what decided to do with that. Mine was built in Portsmouth, VA but I don't know any other Columbia bilt in that factory.

Here is the link:
https://lapossibilitadiunisola.wordp...with-old-teak/
Old 07-09-2015, 23:26   #126

HI Fabio, there is a gentleman named Jimmy who just bought "Gull" hull number 29 I believe, and it was built in VA. I sent him a note to contact you. He has been active on the Yahoo group because he went from searching for to finding and buying a C29... another kindred spirit. His looked to be in very good shape and he has a few good shots of it. I'll be starting my own surgery on my boat this winter... time to pull the mast and really build a stronger mast base! (Hairline cracks have appeared since cruising this summer.) That new boom and paint job are on the list too... and if I have any money left over, maybe a Vesper 850! I am attaching a couple more shots for no reason at all...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150713_141819.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	108608   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150713_142957_resized.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	108609  

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 08-09-2015, 06:34   #127

Hey thank you Don! I am looking forward to hear from him!
It looks like you are going to have an interesting winter!
Old 08-09-2015, 11:59   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
If anyone following this thread is in California and is interested in the Columbia 29, I saw one for sale in Ventura, CA, Craigslist. It needs work but price listed is $2300. I have not seen this one in person but I would guess that a major refit job of $10-12K would get you a boat that is better than most new boats of similar size for a fraction of the price. The hull is a sound one to build on, you won't find 'em built like that now, and when done you have a great coastal cruiser, and many have crossed oceans. The hull is a Sparkman and Stephens design and sails beautifully. It has a long keel, molded into the hull and rudder attached. It is a safe, strong and simple design. The lead alone in the keel is probably worth that! My only interest in this is that I just hate to see such a great little boat wither away and die when she still could have so much life, and so many miles, left in her.
OK quick! Talk me out of this! The boat remains for sale, price is coming down. It is such a great boat I am actually thinking of... no.. but then again... buying a second C29? Actually if I had a trailer and a driveway to park it on, I'd do it, in a heartbeat. My wife rightfully will ask, what do you need two boats for? But any of us C29 (or other old school 60s designs) owners will understand the infectious insanity these little boats can cause as a great little all-around cruiser. I hope someone who understands and appreciates the virtues of this hull design and construction will jump in to bring this boat back to life.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-09-2015, 14:21   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
OK quick! Talk me out of this! The boat remains for sale, price is coming down. It is such a great boat I am actually thinking of... no.. but then again... buying a second C29? Actually if I had a trailer and a driveway to park it on, I'd do it, in a heartbeat. My wife rightfully will ask, what do you need two boats for? But any of us C29 (or other old school 60s designs) owners will understand the infectious insanity these little boats can cause as a great little all-around cruiser. I hope someone who understands and appreciates the virtues of this hull design and construction will jump in to bring this boat back to life.
Well consider that this little jewels are wonderful boats but they are also a pain in the butt to bring back to shine. One project at the time!
Old 16-09-2015, 16:32   #130

Quote:
Well consider that this little jewels are wonderful boats but they are also a pain in the butt to bring back to shine. One project at the time!
YES! AGREED.... but then I came across a good deal on a trailer...... the universe is toying with me!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-09-2015, 17:30   #131

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I remember my father's Columbia Defender (flush-deck version of the 29) as a strong, stiff boat. Here we are racing in SF Bay era 1964, celebrating Fathers Day 45 years later:

Old 16-09-2015, 18:28   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I remember my father's Columbia Defender (flush-deck version of the 29) as a strong, stiff boat. Here we are racing in SF Bay era 1964, celebrating Fathers Day 45 years later:

Great! Do you remember offhand if your boat had the heavier ballast (4100#) or the original 3250? I believe the added ballast came in when the Defender was introduced. And as you may know the boat was born in a dance hall near the bay in Mountain View.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-09-2015, 18:44   #133

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

As I recall, my father's Defender (named Seeadler) weighed about four tons total, including two tons lead ballast.
Old 24-09-2015, 06:27   #134

Show me you toe rail!!

I am in the toerail replacement phase and after an initial idea of bringing back the same teak design, I realized it's not worthy the cost and the time. I probably better go with an hybrid solution.

I wonder what other toerail type are out there. How is you Columbia, Don?
Old 24-09-2015, 08:34   #135

Hey Fabio! I'll take some shots this weekend but my toerail is painted so it may not be too helpful. If I were to re-do mine however I'd get long strips of teak, 3/4 in. thick and bend them and sandwich one strip between the inner and outer strips which are wider, then bolting through the fiberglass flanges. My old C24 had the rail that way and it seemed to be the easiest way and it looked good too. It is easier, and will look better, than trying to bend a piece of teak or mahogany that is 2 inches thick with a channel cut in it, as mine is now. (Unless you have a steamer)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
columbia