Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 18:36   #91

Boat: Tartan 34C
Re: Thoughts on a 1962 Columbia 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia29 View Post
I agree. Those conditions are a problem for almost any boat but the Columbia29 suffers it particularly. I had to compensate broaching on a broad reach and following seas for many hours at the helm and it's very tiring. This is nerve-racking especially at night when you don't see the waves and you can't adjust your steering according to the coming seas. I am planning to install a windvane autopilot and excess in weather helm can generate wear in the steering system pretty quickly, so I am very interested in way to reduce the weather helm.

Reefing and reducing sails helps a lot, I take weather helm as a way my boat is telling me it's time to reef. I am installing a deep third reef on my mainsail and ordering a storm jib, for bad situations.

I sometimes wonder about a different rudder. Increasing the size would increase the pressure over the rudder and the shaft (which is bronze on the C29). The effect would probably be good for manouvering in calm conditions, like the marina example, but too much turning power could be stressful for the boat in heavy air.

I am also thinking if it is convenient to add an adjustable split backstay. I have to modify the backstay anyway, because the central installation tube of the windvane system comes on deck where the backstay chainplate is attached. That could be a way to quickly add or release tension to the backstay.
Hey Fabio! It's Freddie!

I got to sail on s/v Tranquility when Fabio first put her on the water here in Buzzards Bay. Performed somewhat similar to my T27 yawl at the time but the steering response was better and the cockpit much more comfortable.

Love that this thread has come full circle as when I first commented on it, I still owned Destinada! I miss that boat!

The T27 has the exact same weight as the C29. Same designer of course! Similar looks but totally different design overall (different rudder, keel, sheer, doghouse, cockpit, etc).
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:53   #92
Marine Service Provider

Wel, it is a really nice boat, the first one was built in 1961 and the released the next year... this boat was so succesfull that the manufacturer decided to form Columbia Yachts Corporation and give the Columbia name for its entire line of boats, the company eventually became the highest volume producer of fiberglass yachts by 1967.
BoatShowAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:25   #93

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

We may yet hijack this website and make it into a Columbia 29 appreciation site! Thanks for the input boatshowavenue ... and did you know that the boat was named to honor the winner of the America's Cup (I think it was 1959?) OK maybe I am getting too carried away with Columbia trivia now...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 16:07   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcoasting View Post
Hey Fabio! It's Freddie!

I got to sail on s/v Tranquility when Fabio first put her on the water here in Buzzards Bay. Performed somewhat similar to my T27 yawl at the time but the steering response was better and the cockpit much more comfortable.

Love that this thread has come full circle as when I first commented on it, I still owned Destinada! I miss that boat!

The T27 has the exact same weight as the C29. Same designer of course! Similar looks but totally different design overall (different rudder, keel, sheer, doghouse, cockpit, etc).
Hi Freddie! Good to see you here too! Funny enough when you commented on this post we hadn't met yet.

I had a pleasure to sail on Destinada too, including a nice 4th of July, and I remember the ease of handling, I especially liked the yawl rig!
Columbia29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 16:57   #95

Hey there! Long time without posting... This doesn't mean destruction was not happening, here some proof of further destruction on my Columbia 29...

Old 01-04-2015, 18:42   #96

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Hey there! Long time without posting... This doesn't mean destruction was not happening, here some proof of further destruction on my Columbia 29...

Man Fabio! You tore apart the interior again! So what are the plans? Total redesign of whole interior?
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 19:34   #97

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/sailboat-196...m=261833304955
This boat is 29' and its not expensive, if you don't mind the lead hull. I heard of steel and aluminum for hull material and lead must be really durable.

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 01-04-2015, 20:15   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcoasting View Post
Man Fabio! You tore apart the interior again! So what are the plans? Total redesign of whole interior?
Hey Freddie, I am scratching a couple of itches I left undone... but mainly I am making more storage space, the batteries of the electric motor will go in a dedicated position and I am building a new chart table.

hopefully in one week or so I can post picture of some new cabinetry...
Old 14-05-2015, 18:59   #99

Quote:
Hey Freddie, I am scratching a couple of itches I left undone... but mainly I am making more storage space, the batteries of the electric motor will go in a dedicated position and I am building a new chart table.

hopefully in one week or so I can post picture of some new cabinetry...
Did you install the batteries and electric motor? Let's see some pictures and some info on how it's working!.... I have considered that for mine too.
Thanks!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 29-05-2015, 22:30   #100

Hi Fabio! Thanks for the note on sailboatcruising.com! Yeah, I am ALMOST ready to get my boat out for an island cruise. I just finished bringing my friend's Cheoy Lee 30 up the coast so that has used up a lot of my free sailing time for a while. (The Cheoy Lee is a very nice boat, but I still like the way my Columbia sails more... of course. Hope my friend doesn't see this post.) I have all the parts ready, just gotta put them all together and go, something I am sure you know all about. Keep sending photos, and have you seen the posts about the chances of using the new Tesla batteries in boats? Interesting stuff. Cheers!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 08-06-2015, 06:26   #101

Hey Don. The boat came with the electric inboard but as I was going for an overall refit I decided to wrestle with the batteries and modify the installation. The big hassle on a small boat is where to keep heavy batteries.
Now I am re-organizing the space and rebuilding the engine room so I will post pictures of the installation when I am done. I really hope this time I managed to really optimized the space in the engine room/chart table.

It really is very easy DC installation, if you know how to put batteries in series you are pretty much done. the engine is very light you can move it by yourself and align it in no time.
The system is an old model of Electric Yacht: Electric Yacht | CLEAN, GREEN & QUIET Marine Propulsion Systems! . Really today the alternatives are plenty.
The system runs on 48v so I have 8x240ah Trojan 6v, the ones you use for Golf Carts.
Old 11-06-2015, 22:19   #102

8 6-volt batteries... hmm, where would I put those? I am looking forward to the pics. Also, how long and what speed do those batteries give you? In my case, I believe I mentioned a while back, I'd like to hang a Torqueedo from the well in the lazarrette. And hey all you other Columbia 29 owners out there, say hi! (I know there is at least one other who hasn't added a comment here yet!)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 15-06-2015, 21:18   #103

OK I have no financial stake in this boat, I was just thunderstruck by what a beautiful Columbia 29 this is. It is very rare to find a bristol boat of any breed but this one just may be an example of bristol and a Columbia 29! I am saving the shots of it just to give me ideas on how to spruce mine up. It takes a pretty sweet boat to inspire this much love and attention (and $) This one is for sale in Newport in CA. So all you C29 owners, here's one to drool over...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2015-06-15 at 12.53.43 AM.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	103809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2015-06-15 at 12.48.49 AM.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	103810  

Name:	Screen shot 2015-06-15 at 12.51.22 AM.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	103811  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 20-06-2015, 07:19   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
OK I have no financial stake in this boat, I was just thunderstruck by what a beautiful Columbia 29 this is. It is very rare to find a bristol boat of any breed but this one just may be an example of bristol and a Columbia 29! I am saving the shots of it just to give me ideas on how to spruce mine up. It takes a pretty sweet boat to inspire this much love and attention (and $) This one is for sale in Newport in CA. So all you C29 owners, here's one to drool over...
Wow Don this one looks great! Thanks for finding it. I am happy to a see fully restored Columbia 29 and happy to see the differences in equipment and features.

One thing I dislike:

The electrical panel position must be a bit uncomfortable!

One (of many) things I like:
Old 20-06-2015, 09:16   #105

Quote:
Wow Don this one looks great! Thanks for finding it. I am happy to a see fully restored Columbia 29 and happy to see the differences in equipment and features.

One thing I dislike:

The electrical panel position must be a bit uncomfortable!

One (of many) things I like:
Yes, the panel is in an odd place. I believe that is original. The other fly in the ointment, for me anyway, is the Atomic 4, but for this boat I might overlook it.
Here is something interesting for us 29 owners. The original owner of my boat saw the photo I posted at sailboatcruising.com and wrote in! I have been in touch with him and have been learning more about the genesis and evolution of my own boat. He and his son still live in Ventura, CA. I say that because when he bought his boat it was one of the first boats to go into the harbor right after it was built (and maybe the only fiberglass boat.) The local paper did a full page spread on his family and the boat! (attached.) he also added, "I took delivery of the boat on Jan 4, 1963 in Newport harbor. Two friends and I set sail at 2000 and sailed and motored to Santa Barbara harbor arriving the next evening at 2135 averaging about 4 knots." Now anyone who has sailed from Newport to Santa Barbara will appreciate that, and keep in mind that was over 100 miles uphill, in January (typically calm) with a Seagull motor!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen shot 2015-06-19 at 10.49.03 PM.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	104003  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
columbia