Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2012, 11:55   #16

Re: Thoughts on a 1962 Columbia 29

A 62 Columbia is pretty much a free boat at this point. Dont pay much for it. To be safe in the carribean, you will want to look at the rudder, thru hulls, rigging wire as a minimum. A mid 70's Columbia 34 was for sale up here this summer for $4000, it was being sold by a long term owner and quite nice condition, diesel heater etc...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 12:01   #17

Boat: Tartan 30

Not to be argumentative... but you really can't compare a mid 70's Columbia 34 (especially if it was the 'bubbletop' version) to a '62 C29 classic. They are very different boats, different design concepts, and build by an entirely different company.

Also, you really can't compare one boat to another based on price alone. There are plenty of 60's and 70's boats, of the same category, out there for $5000 on up to $20k and more. Condition is everything, design and build quality is important, price means very little.
Old 21-01-2012, 12:10   #18

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I would have to do some searching but some of those early 60s fiberglass S&S designs were actually built in Holland. I had a Seafarer 26 designed by Tripp which was a very similar shape that was built in Holland and it was structurally very strong. Not sure where the Columbia's of that vintage were built.
Old 21-01-2012, 12:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I would have to do some searching but some of those early 60s fiberglass S&S designs were actually built in Holland. I had a Seafarer 26 designed by Tripp which was a very similar shape that was built in Holland and it was structurally very strong. Not sure where the Columbia's of that vintage were built.
Sailboats built by Columbia Yachts on Sailboatdata.com

They (the 24, 26, and 29) were built in California by a company called Glass Laminates. The Designer of the 24 and 26, later went on to form what became Islander Yachts. In 1967, Glass Lamates was bought by the Whittaker Corporation, who moved the entire company to a new facility and bought out Coronado yachts, and began expanding the manufacturing process.
Old 21-01-2012, 12:29   #20

Nice link with great information on Columbias! I think the one I sailed on was the Defender 29.
Old 21-01-2012, 12:33   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Not to be argumentative... but you really can't compare a mid 70's Columbia 34 (especially if it was the 'bubbletop' version) to a '62 C29 classic. They are very different boats, different design concepts, and build by an entirely different company.

Also, you really can't compare one boat to another based on price alone. There are plenty of 60's and 70's boats, of the same category, out there for $5000 on up to $20k and more. Condition is everything, design and build quality is important, price means very little.
Yeah, I understand. But there's droves of those old boats out there that no one wants from the 70's. Theyre chopping them up as trash in storage yards due to non payment. (too bad!) The 60's are even further off the charts.... just sayin.... if the guy wants $4000, he'll be lucky to sell it for $2000... JMHO of course... desnt mean he cant pay $4k and be happy, although the likely rudder, rigging and etc potential costs will be a lot more than the boat.

Old 21-01-2012, 14:12   #22

Quote:
But there's droves of those old boats out there that no one wants from the 70's.
Not here on the East Coast, especially in the Northeast. I have done some rough counts in harbors that I frequent and it is incredible how many boats are 20, 30, 40 years old. There are times when you can't see a modern boat. It is not uncommon to see a very old 30-footer going for $15-20K.
Old 21-01-2012, 15:18   #23

Boat: Columbia 29 MKI Hull #13

Well I found out a little more info.
Hull #13 MKI
4 berth,
lead ballast, 3120
Displacement 7400
Just got the survey!
5 recommendations listed
1. Replace starboard running light lens, plastic lens is bleached white.
2. Replace stern light bulb, not functioning.
3.Genral clean of bilge area.
4.Clean and flush freshwater tank.
5.Normal overall cleaning.
Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 15:21   #24

Sheesh! I've seen more recommendations on a brand new boat. Makes me a bit suspicious about the quality of the survey.
Old 21-01-2012, 15:43   #25

yeah... my 4 year old survey (didn't get one pre-purchase, other than my own) was 3 pages long. But still, it was all cosmetic and very minor issues for a 37 year old boat.

Looks like a winner dude You just gotta decide if thats what you want to sail, and if you can live on it.

I can say, there are more deals out there...But if you like the boat enough, go for it, and don't look back
Old 21-01-2012, 16:57   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Why wait and endure a cold winter. Here is an Alberg 35 with a new westerbeke diesel (2 hrs) autopilot sails etc. Needs some work. It is sitting at the Jibroom in Marsh Harbor Abaco. $5,000. Engine was put in last year for over $10K Duty is paid so you can keep it there.

PM me for details
good looking boat without that stepped cabin top ...whys the wheel so far forward ?I have a Pearson 33 that does the same thing...also have no bridgedeck,coastal crusing?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 18:44   #27

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
pirate Re: Thoughts on a 1962 Columbia 29

Hey jwalkette,
I bought my 1962 Columbia 29 Hull#66 late last fall for $1,500 (storage fees). I was really impressed with the quality of construction of the boat. The chain plates on mine at least are all tabbed in. The hulls on the MkI's were all hand laid glass and you can see the woven matte easily as there were no hull liners on these boats originally. It's also nice to have a solid glass deck although the little bit of flex they do give takes some getting used to, you never have to worry about de-lamination. It also makes it easy to tell where a leak is coming from if you develop one.

I got a chance to take it for one sail before I bought it as well. They do as others have said tend to heel early or are tender, but they like to stay there after that (At least until about 18-20kts, then its time for some reefing). From what I've read it was part of the design to "stretch the waterline" in light airs ect". I've found that although the previous owner neglected the boat for 2 years and let it sit for 1 1/2 years uncovered I had only about a 1/2" of water in the bilge (that's without the bilge pump working). Mine too was has the Atomic 4 it was rebuilt 3 years ago buy the original owner who sold it to the kid I bought it from. The interior is a little tighter than the 1980's Cal 28 I was looking at but I think the quality of the boat more than makes up for it. They are listed on BlueWaterBoats.org as a blue water boat, having numerous instances of people crossing the Atlantic and Pacific in them. The modified full keel does give you pretty good performance to windward, you won't be beating any Farr 40's but hey.

As for any major structural deficiencies ect, I'm not aware of any across the board common problems. They were not prone to blistering, as the epoxies and resins that caused that didn't start to take hold until the later 70's. They were known for the decks feeling a little flexy. This is because they are solid glass without a core to thicken them up they loose some stiffness. I have on my boat as noted in the survey a few gelcoat cracks on the fore deck due to this however no leaks. The common fix is to epoxy some fiberglass stringers on the underside of the deck to stiffen it up. Or as a few old guys at the marina put it " It's been that way for 50 years I wouldn't worry to much about it.". The survey also pointed out that the wiring in the engine compartment could use some work, a few old wires hanging about. Also due to the gelcoat being 50 years old it is common for it to get crazed (tiny cracks running in all directions). The cure for this is grind down the big ones don't worry about the rest and use and epoxy primer to seal, then paint.

With the Atomic 4 make sure your engine compartment blower is working correctly with duct work sucking the air from near the bottom of the bilge (where the fumes will sink), and that the duct work is in tact all the way to the vent fitting. Also it is scary to see how many older Atomic 4's are running around without sealed alternators.. This is not an option needs to be sealed. Make sure the mechanical fuel pump has been replaced by an electric (when the diaphragm fails it dumps raw fuel into the oil pan very quickly).

I've heard of the mast support/compression beam that runs under the cabin top being damaged if you over tighten the stays. According to the source it is because it's a wooden beam and not meant to be loaded up twanging tight by the rigging. This was only one guy though.

I hope you enjoy your new boat, all in all they were a great design and you'll still see many of them around on the water and the web. Take a look at the Columbia Yacht Owners Association at Columbia Yacht Owners Association although the site isn't maintained much these days it's chuck full of useful info and links. Enjoy and cheers!
appick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 10:10   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
good looking boat without that stepped cabin top ...whys the wheel so far forward ?I have a Pearson 33 that does the same thing...also have no bridgedeck,coastal crusing?
While it is a PITA to walk around to go down the companionway, it does make a nice warmer , drier place to steer from behind the dodger.

i would suspect that survey also........ Uncored decks are a plus probably, like someone said ..... you get a little flex in spots though. I was on an old Hinkley Bermuda in Trini that had coreless decks... The New Hake 46 reportely has coreless decks....

Old 03-02-2012, 17:01   #29

Boat: Columbia 29 MKI Hull #13

Well tomorrow is the day, I am purchasing my new classic Columbia 29! i hope the weather stays nice. Would love to start working on her to make her mine.
Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 17:24   #30

Good luck and have fun! I remember that boat very fondly.

Tags
columbia