Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-11-2015, 18:57   #181

Boat: Columbia 29 Mk I
Re: Thoughts on a 1962 Columbia 29

I DO own a gaff-rigged dinghy. How did you know?

Old 22-11-2015, 19:06   #182

I'm a fan of hanking on, too. And regarding the cockpit boards, I'll probably have cushions made with a marine ply back, and stow them on the bulkheads in the v-berth when not in use. I do have a water tank">fresh water tank under the v-berth, so pulling the chain back through there may be tricky - I'll have to look at it. But I also like the deck plate idea. And thanks for the encouraging story about when you started sailing keel boats. I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be fine, but it's a little intimidating. More because we have very shallow water on the Gulf Coast, and I'm nervous about grounding her. But, I'm sure after I've done it a half dozen times, it'll be old hat. lol

Old 22-11-2015, 19:45   #183

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by padave29 View Post
Hey, Eric! Well, yes! As a matter of fact, I DO own a gaff-rigged dinghy. That's an odd question. Why do you ask? Have you seen me or it at Bahia Marina?

I spent last winter there and helped step the masts on Flying Cloud. My Morgan was docked near wear the dinghy is stored.

U and I met through Len. Give him my best. I hope work on the boat is going well.
Old 23-11-2015, 06:56   #184

ERIC!!! Of COURSE I remember you! How have you been? Where are you now? As I recall, you headed up to Kemah, right? I'll certainly tell Len you said hi. Not much more has been done on my boat - lots of drama at Bahia has kept Len busy readying Flying Cloud to leave. Hopefully he'll be back on my boat very soon. He and Teri are up in Colorado, picking up a trailer for my boat. They'll be back Tuesday. I'm hoping to go down in about 10 days or so. Once they get back, we'll haul my boat out and put it on the trailer for the next few months, to get things done.
Old 23-11-2015, 11:22   #185

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

We are docked in Baytown but are talking spending the winter down CC way. The boss hasn't made up her mind yet.
Old 25-11-2015, 15:17   #186

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yesterday I took her out and I had a sailboat, today the mast is down and now I have a project boat! The long laundry list has finally come due so now I am right there with all you guys! New mast support, new mast base, new backstay, new sheaves, lights, antenna in mast... and then the paint prep for the whole deck... ahhh.. So now we all have to keep each other going to our spring launches!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mast down.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	113820  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:25   #187

The mast support arch; the only mystery on this boat, what is in there? Well whatever it is it's 50 years old and not holding up. I'm going in. But before I start the surgery to remove and replace the only major weak spot on this boat, any advice from anyone? The saw, chisels and hammers are lined up on the table...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1285 copy.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	113879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1288 copy.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	113880  

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 30-11-2015, 10:47   #188

Hey Don, how did it go? Did you find your way through the compression arch? I am curious to see how was designed originally.

Here are some pictures of the latest surgery ongoing on the deck of Tranquility:

Name:	work_deck_toerail_dryfit_.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	114097

Name:	work_deck_toerail.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	114098

Name:	Work_dec_toerail_transom.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	114099
Old 02-12-2015, 17:09   #189

Hey Fabio, she's really coming along! Looking great! In my own case I had to halt work so my tools are all left ready and surgery not done yet! If all goes well, this weekend, but I am swamped with other work right now. I am really suffering a kind of depression not being able to sail her! And realistically it will be a few months because I KNOW I will want to fix something else here and add something else there... I will post photos as soon as I start the cutting for the 4 or 5 of us really curious about that mast support!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 09-12-2015, 14:29   #190

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Don if you don't have one I find the vibrating multi tools are about the best things to use. Get some extra blades but they are WAY easier than using hammers and chisels. I've been doing a bunch of house work lately and installed some knowle posts for the railings along my stairs. This is after I installed 3/8 tounge and groove old growth bamboo floors. I was able to cut through the bamboo pretty much like butter, which is surprising given that you can take the flooring and whack it full swing with a hammer and it doesn't dent. We went through a few blades for the chop saw too when installing it. It's very hard stuff.

Anyways I'm looking forward to using the multi tool for removing bulkheads in the new boat that need replacing. Its great to be able to plunge cut things with a nice neat cut. you should be able to cut along the top of the bulkheads and not damage them at all. Which would be pretty nice given the cost of replacing mahogany faced plywood! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Oh and Fabio, Looks like you're doing some serious deck work there! I like the winch mounts nice work! Mine had welded aluminum winch mounts the through bolted the outside of the cockpit coamings. I found it to be pretty sturdy but always thought a nice wood base bright finished would look pretty sharp too. How is the electric drive holding up?

I'll get the new, new owner of my old boat on here. The guy I sold it to decided the cruising life was for him and he wanted a 40+ft boat. So after one summer sailing it he sold it to a guy from my area. I've yet to let him know about our "Club".
Old 09-12-2015, 16:41   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
Don if you don't have one I find the vibrating multi tools are about the best things to use. Get some extra blades but they are WAY easier than using hammers and chisels. I've been doing a bunch of house work lately and installed some knowle posts for the railings along my stairs. This is after I installed 3/8 tounge and groove old growth bamboo floors. I was able to cut through the bamboo pretty much like butter, which is surprising given that you can take the flooring and whack it full swing with a hammer and it doesn't dent. We went through a few blades for the chop saw too when installing it. It's very hard stuff.

Anyways I'm looking forward to using the multi tool for removing bulkheads in the new boat that need replacing. Its great to be able to plunge cut things with a nice neat cut. you should be able to cut along the top of the bulkheads and not damage them at all. Which would be pretty nice given the cost of replacing mahogany faced plywood! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Oh and Fabio, Looks like you're doing some serious deck work there! I like the winch mounts nice work! Mine had welded aluminum winch mounts the through bolted the outside of the cockpit coamings. I found it to be pretty sturdy but always thought a nice wood base bright finished would look pretty sharp too. How is the electric drive holding up?

I'll get the new, new owner of my old boat on here. The guy I sold it to decided the cruising life was for him and he wanted a 40+ft boat. So after one summer sailing it he sold it to a guy from my area. I've yet to let him know about our "Club".
Hey Appick, great to hear form you! A friend in the boatyard offered to loan me one, so yes I will be tearing into it gently soon I hope! I am just planning to cut out the support arch right now and leave the bulkheads, but I am not sure how the support arch is attached to the bulkheads so I have to chew into it carefully. I had to leave it all in haste and I have other work right now so I should be back at it in a couple weeks. Wish I had a huge shop I could wheel the boat into for a couple months! Ah, that would be heaven.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-12-2015, 13:21   #192

Hey, Don! It's good to see you getting into the mast support - sorry to hear you're curtailed for a bit. I don't have a ton of boat experience, as you know - but I did gut mine this past summer, and I agree with the vibrator suggestion. Nice, clean cuts, and you can plunge directly in. Just beware the fiberglass dust. You'll be covered in it by the time you're done. lol I left mine as I found it. We have put in a bilge step, and fashioned a beam to place at the medial aspect of the port bulkhead (sorry about the medical/maritime terminology mix). Rather than replace the arch, we're simply going to support from below. I think that'll be stronger than anything else.
Old 16-12-2015, 13:24   #193

And here's my '64 - after 6 months of delays, she is FINALLY out of the water! And, as several of you promised, there are NO blisters to be found! Cutless bearing totally shot, and bottom paint worn down pretty far. The barnacles will be sad to have to relocate, but she's out. Headed down with one of my sons to start work on her this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture1216151253_1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	115139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1216151254_1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	115140  

Old 16-12-2015, 19:13   #194

Ah, she is a thing of beauty with those S&S lines there. She will clean up very well. She has been sitting high on that water line! Someone must have painted it high and planned on loading her heavily for some long trip! She looks beautiful, keep up the good work!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-12-2015, 19:31   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by padave29 View Post
Rather than replace the arch, we're simply going to support from below. I think that'll be stronger than anything else.
That is certainly the strongest way I think if you have a good step, down on the keel. I thought about that too but how are you changing the access to the V-berth? Are you cutting into the starboard bulkhead a bit? I'm not sure if I mentioned before that when we were trying to lift my mast off the base was corroded onto it and it just did not want to come undone. The crane was starting to lift the whole boat by the mast! (only a little, but it was still pretty startling to see.)
Yeah I am really missing sailing my boat... my palm is itching for the feel of the tiller and sheets. But it will be a couple months at least I suspect. I know I can borrow my friend's Cheoy Lee if I get serious shakes from lack of sailing time, but it's just not the same.

Oh I just re-checked and see you have the dinette version so yours already has the post under the mast.

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
columbia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: