Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 12:20   #1

This Will Serve Me Right

A sailor I respect very much sent me a wake up email after I thold him about my new 40 sailboat.

congratulation steeve you just got yourself an endless money pit...this will make your desire to frugal living imposible...youl be siting at the dock wasting money and cumulating marinas fees rather then sailing the world as you wished.

I dont know what to think of this?
needles to say I am very upset...especialy if hes right.

when I optained this larger boat, I knew that I wasent going to live at the marinas but cruising...I intent to make her compleatly self eficient energy wise and whatever needs fixing up I can do no problems...I am not the type of guy to go out and buy the most expensive parts...no I am a junk yard junky and like to build or restore whatever parts I can get free.

iv owned 5 houses in my adult lifetime, my first was a 10,000$ old mobile home and my last a 450,000$ split...quite honestly I was happyer in the mobile.
cheers
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:46   #2

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"
Re: This will serve me right...

Respect is earned and I hope your man is worth it. His opinion however, is just that, an opinion. I owned and used a 47' I T and can tell you from experience that you can do what you laid out without breaking the bank. Don't be discouraged by "opinions".
All the best,
Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:57   #3

I've heard a thousand different definitions of wisdom and intelligence but I always liked this one:

Intelligence is knowing that half of what you hear and see is bullsh**, and wisdom is knowing which half is which.

Keeping almost any vessel sea worthy if you do the work yourself is usually not that expensive. Much take several thousand and a couple of years of hard work, but you can do it. I have teak decks over wood, wooden spars and booms, wooden cockpit, wooden cabin top, etc. Wood everywhere.

Having a maintenance intensive boat has caused me to have less doo-dads and gadgets. Since I have to spend so much time fixing the boat the last thing I want to do is fix (or spend money on) gadgets and systems.

Replacing all your shrouds and turnbuckles will cost as much as a high end chart plotter. However, you can easily do without the chart plotter. Can't go without the rig. Just focus on the core stuff. Sailable in any condition (light air especially), good ground tackle, water tight. Everything else is just a manufacturer trying to sell you something that you "need".
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 13:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
I had the same when I went from a 26 to a 47. OK, its a little more expensive, but I gained a lot of experience on the 26, which is put to good use on the 47, plus I have plenty of good neighbours in the yard who lend a hand and vice versa.
I also get to do a lot more sailing, if its forecast for 7 and 8's I have no worries about letting go from the dock, with the previous boat, I would most likely have stayed in.
So, stick with what you have and enjoy
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 13:13   #5

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Just because it's a 40 footer doesn't sentence you to a money pit. If your cruising was planing on living on the hook the marina fees don't matter much. In fact a lot of marinas charge a 40 ft. min. anyway. Some marinas we have been to have a flat fee whatever your size. As said above, his opinion. You have heard the saying opinions are like ***holes, everybodies got one. Well sailors usually have two.
Old 03-03-2011, 13:21   #6

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
A sailor I respect very much sent me a wake up email after I thold him about my new 40 sailboat.

congratulation steeve you just got yourself an endless money pit...this will make your desire to frugal living imposible...youl be siting at the dock wasting money and cumulating marinas fees rather then sailing the world as you wished.

when I optained this larger boat, I knew that I wasent going to live at the marinas but cruising...I intent to make her compleatly self eficient energy wise and whatever needs fixing up I can do no problems...I am not the type of guy to go out and buy the most expensive parts...no I am a junk yard junky and like to build or restore whatever parts I can get free.

iv owned 5 houses in my adult lifetime, my first was a 10,000$ old mobile home and my last a 450,000$ split...quite honestly I was happyer in the mobile.
cheers
It sounds like you have all the tools,drive and experience to do whatever you set out to do.Follow your own drummer.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 13:53   #7

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Everything I really learned in life is from doing.

Taking the knowledge from each boat I've owned, I've been able look at the next boat with an experienced eye, and mentally make a list (cost) of what I need to do to get the new boat up to my specs. Sure, I miss a few things that cost me money, with the little 22' Chrysler I bought last year I missed a worn aft stay leg and it cost me, BUT, I won't make that mistake again. I had a vendor at a boat show look at me like I was crazy because I was putting a pressurized hot and cold water system, solar system with 2 storage banks, inverter/battery charge w/shore power on a boat I bought for less than $3000. Did I NEED all this stuff on the boat, or is it worth it?

Heck YES! I just learned how to install those systems, and now I am learning how to maintain them. I learned that some items bought on ebay and Amazon are pure junk and spending double at West Marine will give me 1/10 the headaches, and a company with pretty good customer service to complain to. I have learned to install hardware on my boat CORRECTLY, ensuring the balsa core cabin top is NOT compromised by a poorly installed winch, cleat, etc. I learned the signs of a poorly done fiber glass repair looks like, and better yet, how to fix it right.

Since I am in the market for a 40ish foot live aboard, I look at EACH boat I tour with a new eye, which will save me a lot of money after I buy the boat.

Is your friend right? Only if YOU don't think you made a good choice. Besides, you have to live with your decision, he doesn't, so I'd tell him, thanks for the input, but keep it to yourself!

Just my 2 cents worth.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 14:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: This will serve me right...

Could it be a case of "The Green Eyed Monster".... and you scored a damn good deal... don't let anyone wipe that happy smile of your face....
Worst comes to worst... sell it... you may even make a profit....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 14:15   #9
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

there's a whole class of boaters who's mission is to try to make you feel bad because you aren't floating around in a piece of crap boat that meets their standards!
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 14:17   #10

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Why do you have so much respect for him.
It doesn't sound as if he has no great respect for you.
As posted above, sounds like jealousy or envy. It's your boat, don't worry about him. He's not worthy of your respect...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 14:28   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt

Just send the guy this thread... he will understand.
Sex Afloat . . . Give it to Me ! - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 14:30   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: This will serve me right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySt View Post
Just send the guy this thread... he will understand.
Sex Afloat . . . Give it to Me ! - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
ROFL..... good one...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 14:40   #13

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:

cheers
Well, only one of you will be right, and with your experience as a scrounger and fixer upper, I've got no doubt who it will be.

And when your boat is looking sweet, crack open a cold one, sit on your boat and look at all the boring tupperware around you. Chat to the excited kids that come up to see your beautiful little 'pirate ship', and to the dads who pass a hundred same old same olds to come and pass a few compliments with envy in their eyes.
And when it's pumping through at 20-25 kts and you're flying in comfort with all sails out, give your 'mate' a wave as he's motoring back in...

It's a different kind of life.... enjoy.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 16:41   #14

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:

cheers
I am currently refitting a 41 foot steel cutter. My choice to replace the tankage and engine will add about $30,000 to the price of buying the boat, plus about that again to finish the outfitting and to make her ocean-ready.

The goal is energy self-sufficiency at anchor. The rationale is that marinas are expensive. A marina or YC visit will be a treat. If it's a necessity, we'd be on an industrial wall, near a crane.

Factor in an est. $20-$25K/year for food, diesel, minor repairs and maintenance and you've got about $200,000 for the boat and $100,000 for five years' vacation.

Not a bad deal, particularly as the house will generate close to $30K/year in rents.

The moral? Cruising isn't cheap, but it can, carefully planned and with an eye to avoiding a 24/7 tourist experience, doesn't have to be expensive.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 20:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Well, only one of you will be right, and with your experience as a scrounger and fixer upper, I've got no doubt who it will be.

And when your boat is looking sweet, crack open a cold one, sit on your boat and look at all the boring tupperware around you. Chat to the excited kids that come up to see your beautiful little 'pirate ship', and to the dads who pass a hundred same old same olds to come and pass a few compliments with envy in their eyes.
And when it's pumping through at 20-25 kts and you're flying in comfort with all sails out, give your 'mate' a wave as he's motoring back in...

It's a different kind of life.... enjoy.
I look at my boat with envy in my eyes...my harts pumping with joy even if it means varnish slavery for the next decade...if someone was to build a costom boat for me...This is the one!!!
I remember not long ago when zeehag posted photos of her awsome boat...all I said was this must be a special lady with an fn good karma...but I was never jelous or envious!! and I never imagined owning such a marvel...I am a minimalist in soul, I did try to find a smaller cheoy lee like frisco flyer, something cheap that needs refit I can aford, no luck...Now this boat fund me...I have no needs for hot water tank or any other luxurys...not that I cant afford them, but because I chouse to live a simpler life...even while cruising I have the ability to make a good living. my primer motivations are comfort for me and my girl and a place where my kids can feel at home without feeling the are invading me.

maybe this is what my friend was concerned about
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote