Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-03-2011, 19:38   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: This will serve me right...

G'Day Steve,

I hesitate to breach the general state of euphoria being expressed around this thread, but did anyone else look carefully at the picture of the yawning hole in what appears to be the side of the deckhouse? That big chunk of heavy fibreglass roving hanging there... looks like it was never saturated with resin. Or is it my imagination?

Anyhow Steve, get someone who knows a bit about glass construction to look at that area before you start patching it up. It looks really scary to me in teh picture, and there have been some shocking bits of glass work that came out of the Orient in those days. I truly hope that I'm wrong!

No matter what, it's gonna be a lot of work... but that's true of most boats, ain't it?

Good luck, mate.

Cheers,

Jim

Old 05-03-2011, 20:02   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangen View Post
Jobi,
When there is a will, there is a way!
I have a 30' that I replaced about 90% of all the interior wood. I had a blast doing it, then when I lanched it after 3 years, it was the absolute nirvana to sail it.
You have an awesome project!

Cheers

Daniel
i also have a h28 witch i want to do sirious woodwork on...want to redo the interior and higher wider teo rails and a nice teak rail in the back like my islander...I love the h28 to me its a beter version of the triton, and worth the refit.

id love to see your interior!!!

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007_05A.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	24608   Click image for larger version

Name:	006_04A.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	24609  

Name:	004_02A.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	24610   Click image for larger version

Name:	016_14A.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	24611  

Old 05-03-2011, 20:07   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Steve,

I hesitate to breach the general state of euphoria being expressed around this thread, but did anyone else look carefully at the picture of the yawning hole in what appears to be the side of the deckhouse? That big chunk of heavy fibreglass roving hanging there... looks like it was never saturated with resin. Or is it my imagination?

Anyhow Steve, get someone who knows a bit about glass construction to look at that area before you start patching it up. It looks really scary to me in teh picture, and there have been some shocking bits of glass work that came out of the Orient in those days. I truly hope that I'm wrong!

No matter what, it's gonna be a lot of work... but that's true of most boats, ain't it?

Good luck, mate.

Cheers,

Jim
no you are right they used as little resine as possible...however lets not overeact, the boat has sailed this way for decades...now that i know I will glass the interior wherever I can...its no big deal.

rgds
Old 06-03-2011, 07:06   #49

Boat: CS 36

Name:	<a title=photo.JPG Views: 77 Size: 201.9 KB ID: 24641" style="margin: 2px" />
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
i also have a h28 witch i want to do sirious woodwork on...want to redo the interior and higher wider teo rails and a nice teak rail in the back like my islander...I love the h28 to me its a beter version of the triton, and worth the refit.

cheers
I don't have any interior pics for now as I lost them with my old lap top, but I will take some new pics next time I go.

Since you are from Montreal, let me know if you happen to be sailing on lake St-Francois, I could show you what I have done and share some of of my experience, especially some of my mistakes so you don' repeat them

In the mean time here is what the exterior looks like, I did quite alot of work on the exterior as well. I wish I had some "before picture" it would definately encorage you. Your Island trader looks good compared to my boat when I first got it!
Old 08-03-2011, 13:27   #50

Boat: Pearson 424 Mare Geaux
Send a message via Skype™ to Derek.Nayler

I am currently restoring a Pearson 424 in BVI. I am doing so in three week chunks whenever I can afford the airfare - and time away from work.
I too am riding out the winter in Montreal. If you could use some help or just encouragement, please give me a shout.
Old 08-03-2011, 13:38   #51

I hade a long conversation with my friend and heres what he had to say...steve I was happy for you when you fund the hinterhoeller 28...it is a good baot that will take you anywhere at little coast...as you know I own a tartan 27 very much like your boat...however before I use to own a 45ft wich I enjoyed 14 years...heres why I much prefer the 27...first it sails even in the lightes breeze, 40+ boats simply dont...this alone is reason a smaler boat is more fun...then you can go just about anywhere and anchore...again bigger boats need planing...then the generald coast of maintenance is double and more...also you quickly realise you dont need the extra space even if you liveaboard as I do and you want to do...28ft is enough.
some guy will say but a 40ft is safer!!! nonsens if you havent sailed both then look at videos you will see non is better in a seaway...in fact I personaly enjoy my 27 more and would take it anywhere and feel safe.
the choice is yours but remember it is easy to get caryed away and buy the biggest boat you cant aford...the problem is that once you have the maga yatch where do you go from there? can you aford to travel? where will you spend the night? can you imagin learning to sail on a 40ft in the st laurence river?

at least do yourself a favor and sail the 28 first...I am hopfull she will be enough for your needs...the good thing is you will make a profit selling the 40ft.

so this is about what he said...my question is how much different these boats are to sail?
pleas give me your objectif views
rgds
Old 08-03-2011, 13:46   #52
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: This will serve me right...

He's right on the sailing... its as different as chalk and cheese....
As to the living on board... if solo the smaller is better..
But... as you've discovered already no doubt...
SIZE MATTERS.... for the ladies...
In spite of what they tell you....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 13:55   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
He's right on the sailing... its as different as chalk and cheese....
As to the living on board... if solo the smaller is better..
But... as you've discovered already no doubt...
SIZE MATTERS.... for the ladies...
In spite of what they tell you....
just between us (wispering) I have no plans for the ladies!!
been there alredy
Old 08-03-2011, 15:49   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day again Steve,

Your friend has his experience, I have mine... and they don't really agree!

My boating history goes like this: 15' day-sailor dinghy, 22' trailer sailor, 30' keel boat, 36' keel boat, 46' keel boat. From this background I'll try to address his points in order.

Light air sailing: There is no such relationship between size and light air abilities. It is dependent upon the design of the individual vessel. Our current 46 foot boat is a joy to sail in light air. The big SA to D ratio and 44 foot LWL make it far faster and more responsive than any of the previous boats. That said, the design that you have purchased is not a good light air boat at all, but not because it is bigger than your Hinterholler. It is because of lots of wetted surface area, relatively short LWL, heavy displacement and fairly small sail area. These all work against light air performance.

Expense: Yep, bigger boats cost more to buy and maintain. No getting around it. The real question is whether you can afford the additional expense. A frugal sailor who does most of his own work can minimize the differences, but still, bigger is more costly. But, you get things for the extra expense, things that may well make it worth the money for YOU.

Fun to sail: Depends on what you like to do. A small boat is usually easier to get under way and is easier to sail around in restricted waters, like narrow channels or rivers. It may or may not have less draft, allowing closer-to-the-beach anchorage... but many of us who anchor out 300+ days per year prefer to be much farther from the beach for lots of reasons. And the larger boat will be far more comfortable at anchor if it is at all choppy. And the larger boat will be more comfortable at sea in rougher weather which means that you will feel good about sailing in conditions that you might shun in a smaller boat.

The safety issue again depends on the design and construction of the boats being compared more than the size. However, the studies of the Fastnet race 'disaster' showed that bigger boats fared better than smaller ones in those truly harsh conditions. Other studies have had similar findings. None the less, many small boats have made successful voyages and will continue to do so. A larger platform helps the odds IMO.

So, the bottom line for these questions is that your individual usage of the boat determines what size best fits... and none of the pundits on CF (myself included) can really say what is best for you. Your friends advice to spend some time sailing the Hinterholler is excellent. You will enjoy the experiences, you will learn a bit about how to sail, and you will have a benchmark to compare the Dragon against... and it may keep you from going insane whilst trying to do the big refit!.

As always, good luck and enjoy.

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz
Old 08-03-2011, 16:46   #55

Thanks Jim for your comments.

having no sail experience makes it hard for me to pin point my exact needs...for now it is more about wish then needs.
I wish for a safe boat that can handle any seas...in this regard I think the hinter is twice as strong as the 41...no dough in my minde it is way overbuilt...in my opinion the 41 is not even close to being as solid...however I can see mtself living comfortably in the 41...also the main reason I optained it was so that my kids can stay aboard with me if they want...the 28 is good enough for me but tight for me and kids...I admit when visiting the 41 I was overwelmed by its housability...this compared to my 28 is a flaoting house with all the comfort one needs.

the coast of running and maintenance is not an issue at all...I have never been the guy to wast money for nothing...plus whatever needs to be done I can do it myself and more...today I planed enough wood to build a new mizzen and it coast me nada!!! I also got 14 brass double line stantions in exchange for an old engin I was going to trash anyways...see what I mean life is always easy for me.

cheers and thanks for your words
Old 13-03-2011, 10:02   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post

cheers
Here it is. I went to the marina yesterday to make suer everything is OK.
Fore some mysterious reasons, whenever the boat is on the hard, the port lights and in some areas from the teak toe rail are leaking, the once the boat is in the water, no more leaks.
The bulkheads and pretty much all the wood you see are all brand new, except for the doors and the cabinetry that I just stripped and re varnished. I'm happy of how everything turned out, except for the teak and holy floor. I made huge mistakes by coating the underneath with a coat of epoxy and varnishint the top with Interlux perfection varnish. At first, after the last coat of varnish, it looked amasing, but after a while some water or moisture got in from the sides and resulted is some dark stains and the varnish started to peel in those areas. Hopefully I'll be able to restore that.

Regards

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0294.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	25003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	25004  

Name:	IMG_0296.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	25005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	25006  

Old 13-03-2011, 11:42   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
At first, after the last coat of varnish, it looked amasing, but after a while some water or moisture got in from the sides and resulted is some dark stains and the varnish started to peel in those areas. Hopefully I'll be able to restore that.

Regards

Daniel
That black stuff is a wood mold. There is no way to get it out. It has permeated the layers and can not be bleached, sanded or washed out. It comes from fresh water in the bilges. It's a start of wood rot. If it stays wet, it'll migrate farther into the wood. Fortunately, from my experience, the black is only found in plywoods for some reason. Solid mahogany and oaks just seem to get soft w/o much color change.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 14:01   #58

Quote:
Here it is. I went to the marina yesterday to make suer everything is OK.
Fore some mysterious reasons, whenever the boat is on the hard, the port lights and in some areas from the teak toe rail are leaking, the once the boat is in the water, no more leaks.
The bulkheads and pretty much all the wood you see are all brand new, except for the doors and the cabinetry that I just stripped and re varnished. I'm happy of how everything turned out, except for the teak and holy floor. I made huge mistakes by coating the underneath with a coat of epoxy and varnishint the top with Interlux perfection varnish. At first, after the last coat of varnish, it looked amasing, but after a while some water or moisture got in from the sides and resulted is some dark stains and the varnish started to peel in those areas. Hopefully I'll be able to restore that.

Regards

Daniel

very nica work!!!
love the varnish...it looks so perfect...mmmm think I will do some in my boat.
rgds
Old 13-03-2011, 17:27   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
That black stuff is a wood mold. There is no way to get it out. It has permeated the layers and can not be bleached, sanded or washed out. It comes from fresh water in the bilges. It's a start of wood rot. If it stays wet, it'll migrate farther into the wood. Fortunately, from my experience, the black is only found in plywoods for some reason. Solid mahogany and oaks just seem to get soft w/o much color change.
That's pretty disapointing, I guess I'm gonna have to redo the whole floor again... I guess that the cost of learning.
Old 13-03-2011, 17:47   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Re: This Will Serve Me Right

BTW avoid breathing any dust from it. Wet it down when removing it. Unless one is an expert it's hard to tell if it's black mold. Black mold usually grows in hot dry conditions. This could be just a Taeoniella rudus, but you never know unless tested.

This is a T.r. mold:

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: