Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 20:34   #16

Re: This will serve me right...

If you really like the boat, and it seems you do, then that is all that matters. Make no mistake, on the worst days it may seem he is right, but on the good days, there is no better feeling.
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 20:47   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

jobi--many many good folks told me i am crazy to get this boat--- is a passion for these that no one can understand . yes --we are totally crazy --but these are unusual and unique boats that were designed for cruising. everything is easily accessed. even the masts are rebuildable. i love mine. you did not make a mistake in purchasing your beauty-- you have a very very lovely shiplet and you will have lots of good times in her.
one individual even said i would have to dump 150,000 dollars and 5 yrs of time before she would eb anywhere near cruisable. he said i had wet rot in my decks-- was a backing plate to the deck-- my decks are perfect-- i will have dumped a total of under 8000$ and 2 1/2 yrs into her--including 1 yr sailing in gulf of mexico as i dreamed of cruising this boat. dont let the naysayers get ye, you will be fine and you will enjoy your beauty.

fair winds and smooooth sailing!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 21:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
jobi--many many good folks told me i am crazy to get this boat--- is a passion for these that no one can understand . yes --we are totally crazy --but these are unusual and unique boats that were designed for cruising. everything is easily accessed. even the masts are rebuildable. i love mine. you did not make a mistake in purchasing your beauty-- you have a very very lovely shiplet and you will have lots of good times in her.
one individual even said i would have to dump 150,000 dollars and 5 yrs of time before she would eb anywhere near cruisable. he said i had wet rot in my decks-- was a backing plate to the deck-- my decks are perfect-- i will have dumped a total of under 8000$ and 2 1/2 yrs into her--including 1 yr sailing in gulf of mexico as i dreamed of cruising this boat. dont let the naysayers get ye, you will be fine and you will enjoy your beauty.

fair winds and smooooth sailing!!!
thanks for the kind words

I am no materialist never been, but this boat as got a hold on me, guess we can call it passion
I can assure you that my boat has nowhere near $8000 in needed refit...in fact if it wasent for the mizzen mast she can be sailed tomorow as is...she needs cosnetic work and deck recaulking...all easy work for me...in fact id be glad to do anybodys deck as it is such an easy job with the right tools...mine isnt leaking but still needs to be don...funny you say this because someone said the same to me, forget this these boats have big problem decks...hahaha a full days job and 3 good sunny days and the deck is new by day no5...and I was off 3 days fooling arond the reefs

cheers
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 22:00   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Read my signature!
Old 03-03-2011, 22:02   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
there's a whole class of boaters who's mission is to try to make you feel bad because you aren't floating around in a piece of crap boat that meets their standards!
+1.

And there will always be someone on a forum such as this whose boat has half your waterline, and yet will swear that your boat is nothing less than a death sentence offshore because his boat has bronze pintles, and everyone knows that bluewater boats have bronze pintles.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:35   #21

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

Your boat can be a money pit if you want it to be but it doesn't have to be one. It's no different than the choice of leaving it tied to a marina all the time or going sailing. IMHO it is all up to you. I agree completely with Bash. Personally, I bought an older CheoyLee that some folks disparage as a "leaky teaky" but has been a great boat for my family. I do 99% of my own work and enjoy improving my baby. Keep it simple and do it yourself and you'll be fine. Remember: Perfection is the enemy of progress! Enjoy!
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:50   #22

Boat: 2010 Bavaria Cruiser 45

Let me add my voice to the choir of folks saying "who gives a damn what other people think" I bought an expensive, brand-new boat and I just got a slip in the most expensive part of the city ... I have never spent so much money in my life ... with absolutely no remorse. The boat makes me happy. I can't afford not to have that boat! enjoy ......
DrDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:53   #23

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalcove View Post
Perfection is the enemy of progress! !

When I was young I always tried to be a perfectionist, until I found that it was impossible!
Old 04-03-2011, 14:15   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

My boat has a ton of teak both inside and out and yes it is a lot of work to keep it looking the way I like. Not to mention all the other things that constantly need attention. For me, its therapeutic, a day of putzing about is very relaxing. I also admit to enjoying the compliments from people on the dock. Over the years I've not only learned the proper techniques but the little things that reduce the time needed. If you enjoy it, then what's the problem?

I'll go along with the others and suggest a serious case of envy from your so-called "friend". For one thing I can't see a true friend telling you such a line in the first place, even if he believed it. I mean come on, what's he expect you to do? "OH, you're right! I'll sell it right now!"

Enjoy your new pride and joy.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 14:23   #25

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Prove him wrong..........Do it and do it well!!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 14:34   #26

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Jobi, How about posting some pics of the new boat?
Old 04-03-2011, 15:46   #27

[QUOTE=cabo_sailor;634550]My boat has a ton of teak both inside and out and yes it is a lot of work to keep it looking the way I like. Not to mention all the other things that constantly need attention. For me, its therapeutic, a day of putzing about is very relaxing. I also admit to enjoying the compliments from people on the dock. Over the years I've not only learned the proper techniques but the little things that reduce the time needed. If you enjoy it, then what's the problem?

I'll go along with the others and suggest a serious case of envy from your so-called "friend". For one thing I can't see a true friend telling you such a line in the first place, even if he believed it. I mean come on, what's he expect you to do? "OH, you're right! I'll sell it right now!"

Enjoy your new pride and joy.

I love wood, the looks and feel...I would not go out and chop a few trees just to build a boat to pleas me...but this baby has alredy been built many years ago...so id rather be the one to take care of her and make sure she retains all her glory...as for my friend I dont know what to make of this, he hasent reteurned my emails...maybe it is about jelousy or envy??

however the thruth is this boat has been in a storm and needs some refit and lots of TLC...time and elbow greas I have plenty...money not so...but iv never been the kind of guy to wast it away on futilities like drugs or any other adictions...I am the lonely type whod rather stay aboard fixing things then going out and party...of coars I like to party in due time.

we cant judge my friends reaction...it belongs to him and one day he will bring it up when hes ready.

Iv shown my boats best side...hear are some not so glorious photos...as I said shes a project...keep in mind it looks worst then it really is.

regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0321.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	24519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	24520  

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	24521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0318.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	24522  

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	24523  
Old 04-03-2011, 16:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Jobi, How about posting some pics of the new boat?
yes why not...hear her best for the moment
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0353.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	24524   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	24525  

Name:	IMG_0338.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	24526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0343.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	24527  

Name:	IMG_0344.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	24528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0357.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	24529  

Name:	IMG_0355.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	24530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	24531  

Name:	IMG_0331.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	24532  
Old 04-03-2011, 16:08   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: This will serve me right...

JOBI..... I hate you... shes lovely.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 16:13   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Definitely a labor of love. For me the worst part is that nasty white stuff covering the deck. You are not going anywhere for quite a while, this certainly looks like a multi-year project. I certainly hope you got a good price. I guess I would start by clearing absolutely as much as possible off the boat, it'll just get in the way. Next, triage. That nasty looking hole would probably be pretty high in priority. By the time you finish you will be pretty durned expert in fiberglass, carpentry, plumbing, and electrical. In this respect your friend is right, it's going to take a lot of money in just materials to put her right. Then you will probably have to replace all the standing and running rigging. Say 600 ft of line for anchor rodes and docklines, probably a similar amount for running rigging. Probably will need to replace some or all of the standing rigging.

You don't mention the engine but that will probably require work as well in addition to sails. You are looking at a final price tag that I wouldn't be surprised to see in multiple tens of thousands of dollars as well as thousands of hours of labor.

I wish you well, keep us appraised on your progress. You might also be interested in subscribing to Good Old Boat, a magazine that specializes in restoring old boats as well as the book from Don Casey, I believe its called This Old Boat.

Bon Chance,
Rich

Edit: Just now saw the good pics, you may be right and I may be too pessimistic. Still, there will be a bunch to do. If you are repairing storm damage it may not be all that bad. Your "bad" pix led me to believe this was basically an abandoned boat left on the hard for many years. Good on you for giving the old girl another chance.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote