Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2016, 00:29   #61

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: This will be interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyStoney View Post
G'day Matt, what you say makes a lot of sense thankyou, but, I am definitely looking for a live aboard boat. Also the original boat that I posted was/is just a boat that I came across at the right price range. It doesn't mean I am going to rush out and blindly buy it. That is why I was asking for opinions.
Ah, I see, sorry, missed that bit about living aboard.

I should pay more attention next time.

Well, FWIW, if I was looking for a live aboard I would go for a motor boat. So much more room for a given length of boat, and so much less "stuff" to fix. And, I suspect, but don't know, a little easier to sell later. When I was helping dad hunt for a motor boat in the sub 30 foot range a few years ago I observed quite a bit of turnover.

Matt
Old 04-08-2016, 00:32   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I have an old sailing mate who, a couple of decades ago, decided he wanted to buy his own boat and sail around the world. In the pen beside mine was a well equipped, steel, 34' Boro Princess which the owner wanted to sell so that he could buy a house with his partner. My friend crawled over the boat, ran the engine, hauled it out of the water and went over it with an ultrasonic thickness tester, then bought the boat. A couple of years later he set sail across the Indian Ocean, went around southern Africa, up and over the Atlantic to the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal and across the Pacific back to Sydney where he sold the boat. The trip took about 6 years, the boat got washed up into the mangroves by a hurricane in the Caribbean, the only surviving vessel, and numerous other adventure were had including a couple of love affairs.

If you start sailing around Australia anti clockwise, carefully watching the weather etc, by the time you get to the difficult bit, let's say North West Cape to Saint Vincent's Gulf, you will be a seasoned coastal cruiser and it will be a piece of cake.

The two important things are hull integrity and drive system reliability, the rest of it's just floss.
G'day RaymondR, thanks for that, your comment makes me feel not so stupid.
CrazyStoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:14   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: This will be interesting

I'm with Pete7 on this..
Go for it..!! She's in very good shape for the age in and out from the pic's.
The fact that someone considered her good enough to keep for 25yrs makes her qualify for live-ability..
It says the hull is to a DuFour design so that should make her pretty slippy.. and believe you me.. that pilothouse will prove worth the price of the boat..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:58   #64

Boat: Catalina 470

You've got to start somewhere. I purchased my first boat for 9k. I thought I'd spend 5k on it and end up spending 20k BUT that boat taught me and saved me so much, I made my mistakes on a cheap boat both in sailing and working on it, that has saved me greater costs later on. I learnt so much in that 8 mth stay in the boat yard, old salts teaching me about ,rigging, epoxy and lots of other stuff.
What do you get in Oz for 15k ? How many coffees is that?It seems like alot of boat for that money, in your postion if the hull is sound I'd probably do it, seriously how much can you lose? If the hull is sound, the rigs not going to fall down, the anchor and chain are good and the engine runs well , a good radio and phone then all you need is a lap top with open cpn and your away. In regards to resale, it doesn't go down in price from here. If you had a season and back to the Whitsundays and then sold it for 10k , what's that worth, how much have you really lost.
No right or wrong here, just an experience.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:05   #65

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyStoney View Post
Thanks Reefmagnet, I have sailed before on a Manitou ( Moreton Bay ) and really enjoyed it. Also I know for a fact that I can fit in the double berth/bunk? in the aft cabin.
BTW the worst I ever got smashed on the east coast of Australia was Moreton bay, it can lead you into a false sense of security, shallow, banks everywhere, not much if any westerly protection and the sort of dangerous chop only a shallow piece of water can produce in the right conditions.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 14:30   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

So, have you been to view the yacht?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 23:30   #67

G'day Pete, No, I have not looked at her yet. I am in Brisbane and the boat is in Sydney. I am trying to work out the cheapest way to go down and have a look.
CrazyStoney is offline   Reply With Quote