Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2016, 22:09   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
This Westsail 32

I looked at this Westsail 32 today in Portland and was impressed. They're asking just shy of 40K, engine is a new Yamaha 45, standing rigging is new. Didn't notice any major flaws in my walkthrough. Seems priced to sell. Very much thinking about making an offer.

It's owner-completed, but was probably a pretty complete kit to begin with based on what I saw.

Here's the album to the pictures I took,

https://goo.gl/photos/917gJXT5oU2javMX8

Thoughts?
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 23:29   #2

Re: This Westsail 32

Heads up that is a Yanmar not Yamaha. Whew... Big difference. I'm guessing it is a 3qm. Rigging looks fairly new... That's a plus. The westsail forum is the place to go ask. They would be better to give you the thumbs up or down.

Good luck.

Chris
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 23:55   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Not sure entirely what you're asking, & one can only tell so much from pics anyway.
She's shiny, & shiny sells/grabs hearts. So one needs to look beyond such, & also hire others to do so, to see what kind of shape she's really in.

There are 101 small details, which are in need of attention before taking her out for more than an hour's sail. Mostly rigging things, from the photos.
Sadly, my computer just ate all of said delineated comments. But they're easy to see if you look at her details. And be sure to hire a rigger to do so as well.
Ditto for engine/mechanicals survey & oil analysis. Plus a general survey.

The most common, & or pressing, would be a multiplicity of missing cotter pins. Unfair shroud to tang leads. And LARGE gaps where the toggles slide overtop of the tangs. Which point loads the clevis pins excessively, AKA it's an unnecessary weakness.

And one or two of the shrouds was bent inwards too far while attempting to create a fair lead, then bent back the other way, & repeated once or twice, to the visible detriment of the metal.
Also, new chainplates shouldn't be weeping rust already. Some of the primary ones, & one for the sprit.

Plus, there are some mismatched turnbuckles & rigging fittings. Some of them likely past their service life.
Go over Everything on the Sprit & Boomkin, as I saw a lot of flaws in the setups of both.

The most critical bits have to do with the welds on the pulpit (& likely elsewhere). As the bails for the lifeline attachments are fairly corroded, & should probably be gussets instead of bails anyway.
Plus, all of the welds look rusty, & at a minimum, bear a further checking. And, or, re-doing.

Ah, & given any real water in the cockpit, or even a strong, wind driven rain, & that engine panel will likely short out on you.

Have you taken down her inventory, & compared her to some ether sisterships? I ask, as while she's pretty, I don't know what she has for gear, nor her history. And I've seen good examples of these listed at $25K.

Plus, there's a giant database of wise mod's to be made to these boats, which has been compiled over the years. Which help to make them; faster, more controllable, more comfortable, etc. So that's also worth looking into, & checking this boat against.

PS: The cook might want a crash bar, & a safety belt as well. And the gallows need leathering

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 10:16   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Thanks for the replies, I'll also go check out the owners group page.

In regards to what question am I asking, that's a good point. I guess I'm looking for someone experienced to glance at these photos and go "oh my god, yes, buy that boat now."

With other boats I've looked at, they've been on the market for months or years, and I feel safe taking my time. This boat has been on the market for 4 days, and on the surface, seems like a good deal if I can knock 20% off the asking price.

I'd absolutely get a survey done before I signed anything. A lot of what you said is somewhat over my head... Regarding the engine controls though, they'res a plastic weather sealed cover that I had lifted off to take the photo.

Here are some additional notes from the owner:

Notes:
- 1975 model
- hauled out last month at Berkeley Marine Center and bottom job
- Recently installed: galvanic isolator
- The original engine had a broken crankshaft - it was removed and swapped with a re-built Yanmar 4JHBE. Work was done at Bay Marine Boatworks six months ago. Engine 6K and labor 5K, total 11K
- Standing rigging replaced 10 years ago at Svendsen's
- Sails: Pineapple mainsail and 110% furling jib - reported good condition
- I also went to look at John's storage locker where he stores additional sails: yankee, staysail and staysail stay, storm jib, drifter and spinnaker
- (2) 12v Group 24 batteries - not isolated
- Older battery charger
- Water heater has been removed to get better engine access - in storage
- (2) water tanks aluminum in main bilge
- (2) fuel tanks, aluminum P/S cockpit
- Electronics: older equipment, basic - VHF radio, depth and speed
- Raritan manual head
- Galley: Shipmate kerosene stove, no refrigeration installed. There is an icebox and a 12v compressor, never hooked up
- Also recent: dodger and mainsail cover (1 year old)

Summary;
Boat is relatively clean, interior and exterior. Brightwork well kept.
There is an ARIES self-steering vane in reported working condition. The interior has been well finished by original owner - professional quality craftmanship.
Finishes are in good condition except on the underside of the two Dorade boxes where the varnish shows water damage
The upholstery is in average condition - few stains on the port settee
Boat is in above average condition and he engine obviously is in "as new" condition Otherwise, systems could do with some upgrading, e.g. electrical (separate house bank, more capacity), electronics (GPS, chartplotter, etc) and galley (refrigeration, water heater and maybe propane stove, as needed)
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 10:22   #5

I would say it's a great boat for that $. Take you anywhere. ... pending inspection and survey and some upkeep! The devil is in the details though.
I've never seen "good" examples of a WS at $25k personally. I've seen a fixer upper at $28k

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 10:27   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I found that almost all boats I looked at had old electronics. Look for the stuff that needs replacing immediately and or cost big bucks, engine a prime example, old working electronics are fine until you feel you want to upgrade, but they aren't a necessity. Cosmetics are important as I believe if someone let the furniture etc go, do you think they kept the mechanicals up? And you can put more in cushions and upholstery than you would believe.
I think you could do much worse than a W32 myself.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 10:28   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ASKING is shy of 40K, actual may be lower?

Old 20-03-2016, 10:35   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

4jh(b)e is a little unusual, standard fit in an IP 38, has a good reputation and from what I can tell deserves it.
It's I think a wet sleeve engine meaning it can be returned to new dimensions at overhaul by replacing sleeves as opposed to boring out.
I have been told identical to a 4jhe, except the transmission output shaft angle is a little different on the (B), all engine parts are the same though, early serial number engines use a different injector than newer so check that if you need to buy injectors.

Old 20-03-2016, 10:52   #9

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
Heads up that is a Yanmar not Yamaha. Whew... Big difference. I'm guessing it is a 3qm. Rigging looks fairly new... That's a plus. The westsail forum is the place to go ask. They would be better to give you the thumbs up or down.

Good luck.

Chris
that Yanmar is a 4JH thats huge for a westsail 32! 4cyl 45-50 hp
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 10:54   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

At one time the Westsail 32 was "the" boat to cruise. Many folks truly loved them and their care shows it. They are good sailers off the wind and not great windward performers but will take you anywhere the tradewinds blow.

Good luck in your decision.

kind regards,
Old 20-03-2016, 11:25   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This Westsail 32

4jhe is 44 HP max, 40 continuous, but yes a little larger than needed for a W32, but fuel burn on mine at 2000 RPM is 1 gl an hour, I bet it would drive a W32 easily at hull speed at 2000 RPM as it drives my IP about a half a knot slower than hull speed.

A little over engined yes, but that ought to lead to a very long engine life.

Old 20-03-2016, 11:36   #12

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

Without going into details, 40k for a Westsail sounds a LOT to me. I am currently in Tahiti where there are two for sale at the moment, asking 10-12k € IIRC

I do not know which state they are in but they should show up on Yachtworld.com I know one of them has been sitting over a year now in a marina, while the other one is unknown to me.

Not to hijack this thread, but my Southern Cross 35' is for sale, for 51k $ I would not claim mint consition on a 34 y o boat but very well maintained and equipped and ready to go any day. In about a month we will leave for the Line Islands aka Kieibati for a few months then head back to Tahiti.

Good luck with your boat search!

A link to a Bob Perry article on Southern Cross

http://sailingmagazine.net/article-1...ern-cross.html

Note that this article is about the SC 31. The SC35 is a modernized version with relatively more beam, higher mast and a modified fin keel and skew hung rudder, all of which makes it faster and more comfortable at sea too?
Old 20-03-2016, 11:37   #13

Uncivilized has a good eye, but none of the problems seem insurmountable. The Aries should probably be completely taken apart and Lanocaned (sp?), so that if you need to do a repair later, it will come apart. I see that this boat has cockpit combings. I consider that a huge improvement over most Westsail 32s. The engine is larger than what I would want, but many 32s were built with Perkins 108/107s, so again, I dont think the engine size is a problem. That size engine WILL require a large prop, and that will be like dragging a parking brake all over the Pacific. A good feathering prop will improve your speed on all points of sail, and 32s could use a little help in the speed department. I think you could cruise for many years in that boat. Best of Luck. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 15:14   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Looks to be a very well built boat. The interior joinery is way above factory quality. We had the dinette interior which we found ideal but the two settee salon is not a deal killer. Somewhere around 1975 Westsail went to all lead cast ballast. If it has that, it's a plus for sailing qualities. If you look realistically at the price this boat is reasonable. Replacement cost would be well in excess of 6 figures. Rerig the boat with Norseman/StaLok mechanical terminals, 316 wire and replace any suspect turnbuckles especially the NavTec turnbuckle on the boomkin. Would also replace the strap tangs for the boom kin with bronze. A failure of one of those likely caused the recent abandonment of a W32 trying to round the horn. You can do the rigging easily yourself but will be a good negotiating point on price.

The Westsails I've seen for sale cheap are usually in need of major renovation, simply beat after 40 years. You'll either pay in sweat equity or real money to get them to the condition that this about appears to be in. Not to say that there are not some things I'd want to change/upgrade.

Would ditch the boomed staysail, put tracks on the cabin top, winches at the aft end of the cabin and go loose footed on the Staysail. Way way better sailing qualities with a loose footed staysail, easier to handle, and no boom obstructing the foredeck waiting to kill you. The SL High Speed Windlass is a poor choice prone to seizing up, too small and slow for the weight of a Westsail. If you wanted to stay manual, would look for a used two handle Moritz windlass. They were made for the Westsail. Actually would replace with an electric windlass. It's soooooo much easier to push a button rather to have to crank in 200' of chain.

We cruised ours without refrigeration and didn't miss it. Some people can't get by without their cold beer. If you're that type, plan on a boat unit or two to properly insulate the box and add the hardware.

The engine is overkill. Not necessarily a bad thing but wouldn't have spent the money for an engine of that size. We did just fine with a 25hp Volvo and a two bladed prop. There is so much wetted area on these boats and the prop hidden way aft, not sure a variable pitch prop would make a whole lot of difference. We delivered two Westsails with 35hp engines and 3 bladed props. Had a best days run of 181nm with one and 178 with the other. Our best days run was also 178nm with the two bladed prop vertical behind the deadwood creating virtually no drag. Prop drag doesn't seem to affect max speed. Aluminum fuel tanks are a plus as the factory steel tanks did't last and requires pulling engine to get them out if you have to replace them.

Talking about tanks, the water tanks in the bilge are subject to pitting because of the saltwater that finds it way below. Our Stainless tanks began to leak after four or five years because of pinhole corrosion on the bottoms. Would recommend pulling the tanks and checking the bottoms if they've got any age on them. There were plastic tanks available and would be the best material in my mind.

If those through bulwarks round chocks are the thin spun brass ones from Westsail they should be changed. The material is so thin that they'll crack if subjected to surge in a marina tie up for any length of time. Believe World Cruisers has proper bronze ones available. Added a set of amidships ones for spring lines which also helped to drain the decks in those rare instances where you take on significant water over the lee rail.

The Aries steered our W32 if it would sail, a great vane for the boat. Would follow the recommendation to pull it and disassemble and use Lanocote on all the fasteners when you reassemble. Be prepared for a struggle to get the allen set screws out. Take it to a machine shop to press out the main pivot axle if it won't come loose after a couple of blows with a LARGE hammer and two by two. The plastic bearings tended to grow. If the vane shaft is a stiff fit, ream out the plastic so it moves freely. Nick Franklins daughter was selling parts though I've heard that that source may have dried up. Failing that, the Danish company that took over Aries manufacture after Nick died may be able to help.

Our old Westsail Kit Boat Hull #163 that we built as it looks today after thee voyages to SoPac by us and subsequent owners.http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/ro...tml?sort=3&o=6
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 15:57   #15

It's in Berkeley, you're in Portland. Hop on Southwest or Alaska and come down for a visit; you should be able to just do it in a day trip.

Given the comments so far, $40 sounds pretty high. It is NOT a NEW engine.

Here's what some very neat folks did for their W32:

About our Westsail 32 Sundowner | Sundowner Sails Again
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail