Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 17:05   #1

This Seems Like a Good Boat

33' Contest Sloop. I was going to bid on this to $7000, seems just a fraction of what they should sell for.
Problem is, no time to survey or inspect.
Any thoughts?

1971 Conyplex Holland Contest '33 Sloop
diogenes726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 17:44   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
What's broken?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 17:50   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990
a good boat?

it looks like you intended to supply us with a picture or a url..we have nothing to base an opinion on but ,in general,,,,never NEVER ever buy a boat without a survey...
in this economy ,if the seller is not williing to wait a few extra days , then he can keep the boat. If he won't wait for a proper survey then he has something to hide..If i am wrong then so be it..hundreds and thousands of similar boats out there ,,,don't let yourself get screwed ...you'll have no one else to blame..

DON'T DO IT !!!!!
watson1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 17:58   #4

I was just about to post the link to the correct page on 'a well-known website' (the item number was correct but the URL wasn't) but I notice that you've now removed the link in your post

Anyway, the Contest 36 has an excellent reputation as a 'go anywhere' boat. The lines of the 33 look similar (from pics I've seen) so I would think she'd be similarly well-found. That's not to say this is a good example though - from the pics (recent???) she looks to be in fine fettle on the surface but you need to check her out for yourself and/or get her surveyed before parting with any serious wonga. Having said that, if you can get her for 7K and you can afford to take a gamble then maybe it's worth it. I would ask the seller for a copy of the survey already done as a starting point, and clarify how old the pics are.

"The survey mentions a small crack in the skeg rudder, but according to Conyplex this should not present a problem. Mainly, some electric wiring still needs to be connected (mast lights, bilge pump) . The battery charger is not working and should be inspected for a loose connection or blown fuse. The VHF radio works, but depth and speed instruments need replacing. Teak cabin top grab rails are on board but need to be installed and new safety lines (also on board) need to be threaded."

Damage from being run aground? Lightning strike? Taken on water?

Best of luck!
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 18:07   #5

Lots of new items listed too.

I noticed that owner is in Holland and boat is in the US. Can you satisfy yourself that the 'owner' actually owns the boat? Are there any liens on the boat? Will the marina let the boat sail away or are there outstanding bills (charges) to pay? Email the owner and ask lots of questions. Get a copy of the survey. Call the surveyor. Call the marina. Etc, etc.
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 18:13   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
36 is Zaal, 33 not. The boatyard has good reputation throughout though.

What's wrong with this one? Too cheap.

b
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 21:10   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I agree, don't buy it sight unseen. You still have $7000 to lose.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 20:53   #8

Hello;

I just registered to post that I am in the process of buying this boat (deposit paid). I bid on it from eBay and lost but received a second chance offer when the winner backed out. I thought the second chance was a scam but it came through eBay and when I logged into eBay it was sitting there so not a scam.

I then asked the seller for info on the boat, the state of the crazing and engine, for a copy of the survey and contact info for the marina. The seller provided me with the survey and contact info at the marina. He said that the crazing was cosmetic but he had no idea about the engine as he had never started it.

He was located in Holland and had spent time restoring the boat to eventually sail it back to Holland but plans had changed. The survey stated that the hull was in good shape, no damage or soft spots and the only thing listed as needing repairs on the inner hull was some fiberglass bonds under galley separating, also, bonds under forward end of dinette separating in addition to bonds on floor timbers separating. In the survey the boat was listed as:

“DOUBLE PINOCHLE” was seen to be in only fair cosmetic condition mostly due to the condition of the vessel’s deck molding. The structural condition was in general good except for some separated fiberglass bonds in the vessel’s interior. After repairs and corrections have been attended to, “DOUBLE PINOCHLE” should be a suitable insurance risk for offshore use provided normal maintenance is performed and normal
safety precautions are taken.

The owner (and backed up by the survey) listed that there was a new mast and rigging, new sails, new fuel tank (well installed), new fuel lines, new water tanks, new anti fouling paint, new zinc's, the interior wood was in very good condition, new holding tanks, well installed head, and new batteries.

Don't get me wrong, there are some things to fix, the electrical needs work and there are some exhaust issues at the engine. The owner admits that the engine has not been started by him and my or may not run. Teak on the deck and the gel coat need work. Correct installation of spreaders, spreaders should bisect angle made with shrouds. The galley needs an update and there are no electronics to speak of. And of course the fiberglass inside the boat.

I have a thread on another cruising site started when the second chance offer was submitted to me outlining everything so far. Someone there contacted me and offered to stop by the marina and snap a few pictures. The boat looks good and the information I have received is positive. The seller has been open and honest, giving me all the information I have asked for and putting me in contact with all the people I have asked. I have checked the info against the marina and everything seems on the up and up. I am waiting for the marina to get back to me with storage info and that is the only hold up on the process so far.

The way I am looking at it, for $5,600 I am getting a solid blue water foundation. Even if the engine is a total write off and I have to find a new one; found a new 27HP Marine Diesel for $4,000 that puts the cost at $9,600. Put in $15,000 for refitting / electronics and I have a 33' blue water cruiser with a New engine, new sails, new rigging, new mast, new water tanks, new fuel tanks, new ground tackle, new electronics for just under $25,000. Where can I find a deal like that?

Robert
Krozet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 00:09   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990
Talking Hey robert

HI,
I wish you full sails and kind weather..
having said that, we [the folk on this forum] have never seen a picture,survey,outside comments: Nothing :
Having said that, your logic seems to be,.....um....logical.
However,you must remember what has been posted before..
For example,you mention some problems with the fibreglass having a problem in the galley area. fibreglass does not shrink...please remember that we ,one and all told you to get a survey and you decided not to ,for your own reasons. That fibreglass didn't stretch,wiggle free or break for no reason...the reason will become apparent to you in time.I wish you well and you might be the lucky one out of 50 and it is exactly what you expected.....I truly hope you are happy ...I'm not saying that you won't be happy,,,I'm just saying that it will prolly cost you 30 % -50 % more than you think,before you are happy...
See you on the sea
Watson
watson1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 00:42   #10

Boat: Allegro 33
Congrats Robert sounds great. Go out there and use it./ Harry
Hurricane Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 06:50   #11

Hello again;

Here is a piece of the survey;

HARTOFT MARINE SURVEY, LTD.
P.O. Box 3188, Annapolis, MD 21403
PETER HARTOFT
Hartoft Marine Survey, Ltd., Annapolis
TOLL FREE 800-438-2827
GALE BROWNING
OFFICE 410-263-3609
FAX 410-263-6580

I. HULL EXTERIOR

TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION: Fiberglass reinforced polyester resin, hand laid up in a female mold.
GENERAL IMPRESSION: Hull exterior appeared reasonably well maintained.
CONDITION OF FINISH: Paint finish in fair to good condition; some oxidation; some touch-ups (hand
painted); antifouling paint appeared to be fairly fresh; has good adhesion.
INSPECTION OF HULLSIDES AND BOTTOM: Inspected with the vessel hauled out; no indication of
structural damage, voids, or delaminations.
THRU-HULL FITTINGS: Good as observed.
BALLAST: Appeared well secured.
PROPELLER AND SHAFT: Two bladed propeller; stainless steel shaft; all in good condition; cutless
bearing in good condition.
RUDDER AND RELATED UNDERWATER FITTINGS: Rudder fittings in good condition; rudder has
split in forward lower edge of blade below lower attachment point, otherwise, good condition as
observed.
BOARDING LADDER: None
GALVANIC PROTECTION: New zinc anode on propeller shaft.
REMARKS: Refer to “Repairs and Corrections.”

II. DECK AND HOUSE

TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION: Fiberglass reinforced polyester resin, hand laid up in a female mold with
core material used in key areas for panel stiffness.
GENERAL IMPRESSION: Deck molding appeared neglected.
CONDITION OF FINISH: Paint and gelcoat on the vessel’s deck molding heavily crazed and abraded;
finish on exterior teak trim deteriorated; finish on hardware fair.
STRUCTURAL CONDITION: No indication of structural damage.
HATCHES/COMPANIONWAY: Good condition.
RAILS/LIFELINES: Bow pulpit, stern pulpit, and stanchions installed; lifelines not installed at time of
inspection; bow pulpit lightly bent.
DECK FITTINGS AND HARDWARE: Good condition; well installed; at time of inspection, handholds
were not installed.
REMARKS: No repairs and corrections deemed necessary for insurance purposes.

III. HULL INTERIOR

GENERAL IMPRESSION: Appeared reasonably well maintained.
CONDITION OF FINISH: Finish on woodwork in general very good.
STRUCTURAL CONDITION: Mostly good, except, some fiberglass bonds under galley separating, also,
bonds under forward end of dinette separating in addition to bonds on floor timbers separating.
PORTS: Good condition.
HANDHOLDS: Some installed.
INTERIOR STEPS: Secured
BILGE: A little dirty.
KEEL BOLTS: Mostly covered with internal cement ballast; visible on forward end of the vessel; good
condition.
UNSECURED FURNITURE/EQUIPMENT: None observed.
REMARKS: Refer to “Repairs and Corrections.”

REPAIRS AND CORRECTIONS
I.HULL EXTERIOR

A. Repair crack in leading edge of rudder blade.

III. HULL INTERIOR
A. Repair damaged fiberglass bonds under galley, forward end of dinette, and on floor timbers.

I posted the part of the survey related to the structural integrity of the boat, the only part I am really concerned about. Wouldn't the survey have found structural damage or evidence of the boat having been grounded? I have been told that the cosmetic repairs could have been done leaving the damage undone but wouldn't a surveyor found that?

My greatest concern seems to be that I am going to get the boat in the water and it will sink... With all the work done o the boat I have no problem working on the rest and putting the money into it. All I am really worried about is the structural integrity of the hull as I will be sailing this boat to and from the Caribbean making it my home. Doing a second survey to find out if the hull is sound seems redundant as there has been a survey already done and it states that the hull shows "no indication of structural damage, voids, or delaminations." & "The structural condition was in general good except for some separated fiberglass bonds in the vessel’s interior."

Am I really out to lunch here and about to purchase something that will not be able to get back too Ontario let alone the tropics?

Here are a few pictures that someone snapped for me, they were visiting their boat and were kind enough to get a couple pictures.
Old 16-09-2009, 07:03   #12

Old 16-09-2009, 07:04   #13

Old 16-09-2009, 07:06   #14

Old 16-09-2009, 07:08   #15