Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 03:19   #1

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Thinking of Buying a Used Beneteau 39

At the moment we are cruising and living aboard our Roberts design South Coast 36, it was built in 1981, solid fibreglass full keel, and built like brick sh*t house. The one problem,(only problem) not enough room. We have escaped our 4 kids (late teens to early 20's) who are now pursuing there own lives.When they want to come to see us, accommodation is scarce and privacy is zero.

We have been looking seriously at Bene 39's, there seems to be quite a few for sale and look like good value. They would certainly fill our extra accommodation needs, but seem to be almost opposite of what we are sailing now.

Our goals are to cruise from Australia to South Pacific and Asia.

Honest opinions please, MarkJ I already know what you think.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:11   #2

Boat: Oceanis 411
I've just put my 1999 Beneteau 411 on the market
Old 08-05-2010, 05:03   #3

For the way most people sail there fine. Cruisers tend to back off much sooner then racers.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:00   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Just like any other production boat, or any boat for that matter, you get what you pay for. Not intended for offshore sailing although I suspect it has been done but they are generally flat bottom boats more so than their competitors, Hunter or Catalina, and therefore tend to pound more creating more stress and discomfort. I've had one so please Bene owners, don't get defensive...
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:05   #5

Boat: Beneteau 393
We really, really love our 393. The only limitations for us are tankage is a little smaller than we'd have ideally but not terrible- about 120 gallons water, 36 gallons fuel. Also, a minor issue for my tastes is that the engine compartment is a little small.

I typically single-hand it while the family just hangs out, unless winds get above 20-25 kts, when I need assistance reefing, etc (we have in-mast furling which is easy to reef single-handed). Very easy sailing!

We have a dock neighbor who has the 411. The boats are very similar! The interior design is different, but the major components are very similar.

Don't agree about pounding more than other comparable fin keel designs. These, and other similar boats by other firms, are designed for optimum hull shape and waterline length while heeled 10-15 degrees, so the flat bottom doesn't come into play while sailing. Not getting defensive as we know our boat is great for us and no one else's opinions will change that!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:44   #6

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Don't agree about pounding more than other comparable fin keel designs. These, and other similar boats by other firms, are designed for optimum hull shape and waterline length while heeled 10-15 degrees, so the flat bottom doesn't come into play while sailing. Not getting defensive as we know our boat is great for us and no one else's opinions will change that!
This is something I've brought up a number of times.. yes, the bottom is flat, BUT I dont sail on the bottom, and at 10 to 15 degrees, the hull shape that is at the lowest area of the boat is a well rounded and effecient design,
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:58   #7

For water sailing">blue water sailing, there is a range of boats, going from heavy displacement, full keel types that your current boat is closer to than the Beneteaus, which are certainly lighter. I own a Beneteau Idylle 11.5 and I would not hesitate to go offshore with it, but I have not done so yet. But I have been in some pretty nasty seas with her, and do not agree that there is a problem with pounding.

I think Beneteau does a very good job of design, engineering and build quality.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:45   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
tend to pound more creating more stress and discomfort. I've had one so please Bene owners, don't get defensive...
We just did the Red Sea non stop including 2 weeks wind on the nose up toi 35 knots and it never punded once. Maybe I am just being defensive, maybe I can just sail it

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 13:43   #9

Beneteau's are the lowest cost boat which hold up to charter service. That is why they are so popular world wide in charter. I think that says a lot of about the boat and its construction. I would not hesitate to purchase one. Many other production boats have been tried in charter and most simply could not hack it. The Beneteau can.
sailvi767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 14:58   #10

I think sailvi767 makes an excellent point. Beneteaus are production boats and very good ones. You can find them all over the world and they often crossed oceans to get there. OTOH, if you go sailing in one, it is well documented that you will get 35 knot winds on the nose for 2 weeks.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 16:18   #11

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
You'd probably see more Beneteaus actually cruising long range than Roberts designs - but it would be rare to get an owner of one style to not defend his own choice or style etc!
Nothing wrong with Beneteau.
IMHO they now dominate the charter market by securing a large market share when they were the only 30 odd footers with a wheel....and not because of cost or build quality.
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 08-05-2010, 17:04   #12

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Great boats! In almost any case the boat will out last you with out regard to conditions at sea and it is the same for Benes. Most negative comments are from those who don't actually have much first hand knowledge about them but do have a computer and ISP.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:28   #13

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
We had a look at one today.It looked great in the pics online. We loved the layout and think it will suit us. But the condition of this vessel was disgraceful. How anyone can let a boat get to such a state of disrepair, and then try to sell it beggars belief. I felt like saying something to the owner, he used pics that were obviously several years old.
False advertising!!!
Thanks everyone for your comments.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:41   #14

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
No intent to start another war over boat brand loyalty but just to defend my comment earlier about the hull shape, it is flatter than that of their contemporary competitors making them susceptible to pounding regardless of whether one is heeling (the ocean is rarely flat so that suggestion is unrealistic).

I am sorry if this offends anyone and don't mean to criticize any boat which I hate seeing but I was just trying to explain our experience sailing a 393 from Hawaii.

The hull form fwd of the keel is virtually flat which is a preferred design for speed but not comfort. Since I don't currently own it or any Beneteau, I don't have the pride of authorship and/or brand loyalty of others here.

Comments like "don't actually have much first hand knowledge about them but do have a computer and ISP" or "maybe I can just sail it" add little to the discussion..
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:49   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post

I am sorry if this offends anyone and don't mean to criticize any boat which I hate seeing but I was just trying to explain our experience sailing a 393 from Hawaii. ..
It doesn'tt offend me. You are just wrong. A 393 that pounds is not sailed correctly. Come visit me and sail the damn thing properly and you will note that is doesnt pound either!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau