Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2012, 18:45   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 127
There's Got to be Something Better Than PVC to Secure Wires in Mast?

i kno their are metal-like conduits but how about an aluminum conduit? do home depot ect sell aluminum conduits? I just cant see putting pcv in the mast. seems an alumin pipe would be much easier to secure as well since i could use hose clamps, even u clamps, ect
__________________

__________________
albergsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 19:10   #2
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,310
Re: theres gotta be something better than pcv to secure wires in mast?

in no part of my mind can I see an aluminum conduct being better than a PVC one, can you explain why you believe it to be so?
__________________

__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 19:12   #3
Registered User
 
ozskipper's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW Australia
Boat: Traditional 30
Posts: 1,981
Re: theres gotta be something better than pcv to secure wires in mast?

Why not use PVC? Its long lasting. It doesn't oxidize. It wont suffer electrical corrosion from stray currents and it wont cause a short if it comes into contact with a live wire. Plus, its lighter and cheaper than alloy. It can be secured with U clamps also. Gee, even large (good quality) cable ties will hold it in place for years-depending on exposure.

I think that using alloy is way over complicating and over capitalizing on a simple job. The only point I would make is if it isn't secured well enough, it may "slap" the inside of the mast occasionally due to its flexibility.
__________________
Cheers
Oz
...............
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 19:21   #4
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Central California
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 873
Re: theres gotta be something better than pcv to secure wires in mast?

I'll repeat from an earlier thread:

The best solution to internal mast wires is to take out any conduits and send a line affixed with cushion foam every 3 feet the length of the mast. Have the messenger line along the side of this. It's lighter and you can send any number of wires or lines up or down and they will be held quietly against the mast.

Worked like a charm on my K41.
__________________
Bill
...........................................
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy ribeye.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 19:29   #5
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 4,019
Re: theres gotta be something better than pcv to secure wires in mast?

Conduit, Rigid, 3/4 In, 10 Ft. L - conduit - Conduit - 5ZM29 : Grainger Industrial Supply
__________________
transmitterdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 19:41   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 127
Re: theres gotta be something better than pcv to secure wires in mast?

i was actuallyt thinking of using the mega zip ties for this. Alright i was just worried that pcv gets brittle over time and cracks is this not the case?,, u make a good point that its not conductive, or corrosive. I guess i was just thinking that plastic conduit was just that, - plastic, i didnt realize it was pcv, which again i assume last for a very long time?,
__________________
albergsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 19:45   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: theres gotta be something better than pcv to secure wires in mast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
I'll repeat from an earlier thread:

The best solution to internal mast wires is to take out any conduits and send a line affixed with cushion foam every 3 feet the length of the mast. Have the messenger line along the side of this. It's lighter and you can send any number of wires or lines up or down and they will be held quietly against the mast.

Worked like a charm on my K41.
Did your mast have internal halyards?

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 20:01   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
FSMike's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bahamas/Florida
Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Posts: 2,654
Images: 5
Re: theres gotta be something better than pcv to secure wires in mast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albergsailor View Post
---- i didnt realize it was pcv, which again i assume last for a very long time?,
Well, since the plumbing in your house is most likely made out of pvc, let's hope so.
__________________
Sail Fast Live Slow
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 20:04   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 127
Re: There's Got to be Something Better Than PVC to Secure Wires in Mast?

no i dont have internal haylards, but i just spend an hour or 2 today and at least an hour yesterday getting all the - old aerosal type foam out of my mast that was in thier. I dont want foam in my mast, although it may be a good system i just dont have the patience or time right now to figure that system out right now. I know your talking about a different type of foam. But last year after having to gorilla tape wires to my mast since it was filled with foam, well that put a bad taste in my mouth. Ive been googling for a cuple minutes and SEEMS pcv sure does crack and get brittle. It may last 30 years, i dunno
__________________
albergsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 20:09   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: There's Got to be Something Better Than PVC to Secure Wires in Mast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albergsailor View Post
no i dont have internal haylards, but i just spend an hour or 2 today and at least an hour yesterday getting all the - old aerosal type foam out of my mast that was in thier. I dont want foam in my mast, although it may be a good system i just dont have the patience or time right now to figure that system out right now. I know your talking about a different type of foam. But last year after having to gorilla tape wires to my mast since it was filled with foam, well that put a bad taste in my mouth. Ive been googling for a cuple minutes and SEEMS pcv sure does crack and get brittle. It may last 30 years, i dunno
Yes, spray on foam is an abomination and bad idea all around. It can actually harm the mast.

My question about internal halyards was directed at the poster who suggested tying cushion foam on a rope inside the mast.

I don't suggest any type of foam at all - pvc conduit is a good choice for your application. Ours is 14yrs old and no signs of damage. It does stay out of the sun its whole life.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 20:15   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 127
Re: There's Got to be Something Better Than PVC to Secure Wires in Mast?

yea i dunno what i was reading that talked about it getting brittle but my further googling suggest that it has quite a long life expectancy say around 50 years, so thats plenty good enough for me. Exactly-- its not exposed to sunlight. I guess pcv is the way to go then. thats my problem i second guess everything with my boats thats y it takes forever to get stuff done! thanks so much for all the advice especially since it was kinda a dum question i just wanted to b sure.
__________________
albergsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 21:29   #12
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Central California
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 873
Re: theres gotta be something better than pcv to secure wires in mast?

Mark asked:

'Did your mast have internal halyards?'

No. That would be different, I agree.

But...

Considering all the sailors here that have had problems with internal conduits, the foam is a great solution.

If the pvc is too big, the lines will slap inside it, if it is too small, it will be hard to run new wires. If it is not secured well, it can slip down or around and not line up right or slap the mast itself. If one puts rivets in to keep it from slipping and slapping, they become potentials for tangling. Also, cutting holes in the conduit for such things as foredeck lights introduces weak areas in the conduit.

No such problems with open cell foam every three feet on a line inside the mast. Goes in easy, lines run easy and stay quiet. Give it a try.
__________________
Bill
...........................................
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy ribeye.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 22:28   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,447
Re: theres gotta be something better than pcv to secure wires in mast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
Mark asked:

'Did your mast have internal halyards?'

No. That would be different, I agree.

But...

Considering all the sailors here that have had problems with internal conduits, the foam is a great solution.

If the pvc is too big, the lines will slap inside it, if it is too small, it will be hard to run new wires. If it is not secured well, it can slip down or around and not line up right or slap the mast itself. If one puts rivets in to keep it from slipping and slapping, they become potentials for tangling. Also, cutting holes in the conduit for such things as foredeck lights introduces weak areas in the conduit.

No such problems with open cell foam every three feet on a line inside the mast. Goes in easy, lines run easy and stay quiet. Give it a try.
But Bill, virtually every production boat built in the last 25 years HAS internal halyards, so your solution is of limited use to teh folks asking questions.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 22:29   #14
Registered User
 
chef2sail's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Parkville, MD
Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Posts: 147
Images: 2
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
We had open cell foam and it deteriorated over a we years leaving particles like dust in the bilge. Also it can get water soaked and heavy from any rain coming down the mast and pull on wires. I would not suggest foam.

Dave
__________________
Dave and Donna
S/V Haleakula
Parkville, MD
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 05:42   #15
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,579
Images: 240
Re: There's Got to be Something Better Than PVC to Secure Wires in Mast?

A series of three tie-wraps (installed at 120 degrees to each other), every several feet, will keep a bundle of wires “softly” centred in the mast.
Snug them up, leaving the tails sticking out, opposing each other. The tension they provide against the inside of the mast prevents the harness from slapping, but allows halyards to pass by.
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mast

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.