Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2012, 10:37   #31

Re: The Wanderer sailboat used in the Captain Ron movie sold

Angelique was used in a movie in a very short set. Chance of a Lifetime (TV 1991) - IMDb Just a cockpit scean and a little sailing.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 10:40   #32

I wonder whos boat that was in Fifty First Dates.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 10:46   #33

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tar View Post
I wonder whos boat that was in Fifty First Dates.
Check post #22

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 15:18   #34

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer

Captain Bly .... WOW, like that's the coolest thing ever. That's my all time favorite movie. I hope you're going to keep a blog page on the project. I must have watched the movie 100 times .... really.
Lowell - s/v Chasing Summer - Spencer 42/hull 17
Old 06-06-2012, 08:51   #35

Will the new owner be taking out Captain Ron and Wanderer fans on cruises. Put me on the list before it gets long. My wife and I are long time fans. Good luck to your restoration, let me know if you need help. Ive painted a few hulls and gold flake detailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bly View Post
WOW! I just got ask to refit the Wanderer a Formosa 51 which was used in the movie Captain Ron... How cool is that... Captain Bob owner of Windsong; one of only 3 Formosa 51 built...
pjsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 06:23   #36

Boat: 1978 Formosa 51 LA Class

YEs, once we finish the re-fit. Captain Bob
Old 16-07-2012, 06:35   #37

Boat: 1978 Formosa 51 LA Class

Well... How about an update on the famous sailboat used in the Captain Ron movie, "The Wanderer"? After taking on what looks to be a 4 year project, I moved her over to the yard to let the work begin. Once in the yard I took a long hard look a what once was a magnificent vessel that sadly to say individuals just could not take of her over time. I stepped back and said, what the hell did I get myself involved in, and, where do I start? First, we pulled the 120hp Ford Lehman out and took it to the shop for a complete rebuild which should take about 7 to 8 weeks. As the days passed we cut out 9 stainless tanks and removed all the plumbing, wiring and everything that either had worn out or was just not needed. Starting with her bottom; as she had 18 thru-hulls. WOW! It looked as if each time a previous owner wanted to add something to her that required punching a hole in her, sadly they did. We closed off all but 9 and replaced the old gate valves with modern day brass ball valves. Then off with the old prop as it was badly need of a new one. We moved to the rudder; off with it I said, as it was in worse shape than originally thought. Water logged and damaged we cut it in half then rebuilt it from the inside out. After 30 days on in the yard and a new bottom, rudder and prop; oh, and all those new thru-hulls we splashed her for a short tow over to Waterford Marina where she will stay until she's a beautiful sailing ship once again. Once she's back you will be able to charter her on Galveston Bay. Captain Bob
Old 16-07-2012, 07:15   #38
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bly View Post
Well... How about an update on the famous sailboat used in the Captain Ron movie, "The Wanderer"? After taking on what looks to be a 4 year project, I moved her over to the yard to let the work begin. Once in the yard I took a long hard look a what once was a magnificent vessel that sadly to say individuals just could not take of her over time. I stepped back and said, what the hell did I get myself involved in, and, where do I start? First, we pulled the 120hp Ford Lehman out and took it to the shop for a complete rebuild which should take about 7 to 8 weeks. As the days passed we cut out 9 stainless tanks and removed all the plumbing, wiring and everything that either had worn out or was just not needed. Starting with her bottom; as she had 18 thru-hulls. WOW! It looked as if each time a previous owner wanted to add something to her that required punching a hole in her, sadly they did. We closed off all but 9 and replaced the old gate valves with modern day brass ball valves. Then off with the old prop as it was badly need of a new one. We moved to the rudder; off with it I said, as it was in worse shape than originally thought. Water logged and damaged we cut it in half then rebuilt it from the inside out. After 30 days on in the yard and a new bottom, rudder and prop; oh, and all those new thru-hulls we splashed her for a short tow over to Waterford Marina where she will stay until she's a beautiful sailing ship once again. Once she's back you will be able to charter her on Galveston Bay. Captain Bob
You mean it didn't all come together for you over the course of a two week cruise with a crazy charter skipper? LOL!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 10:41   #39

Boat: 1970 Cal 2-24
Post Re: The Wanderer sailboat used in the Captain Ron movie sold

Anyone know who owns the Formosa that Cap'n Bly worked on? It's been here at the Waterford Harbor Marina in Kemah, TX in the same condition since July 2015 when I moved here.

I walk past her almost every day, daydreaming and wondering about the Wanderer...

Maybe someone who lives in these really expensive homes owns her? Did they run out of money? She has no masts, just tarps over some of the woodwork on deck, lots of rotten wood. She just looks sad and in need of some love.

I wish I had the time, money and energy to make her gorgeous again.
SoUnconventiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 13:20   #40

hey SoUnconventiona!

Did you ever get an answer to your question about the Wanderer?
Kevminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 16:05   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
I heard there were three Formosas used in the film; perhaps that's where the mention of that number comes from.
I know this is 7 years behind, but I am buying one of the 3 boats used in Captain Ron. The hull is white now. Still named Wanderer. Not Bristol, but pretty close.
The Salty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 16:44   #42

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Salty One View Post
I know this is 7 years behind, but I am buying one of the 3 boats used in Captain Ron. The hull is white now. Still named Wanderer. Not Bristol, but pretty close.

There is something right in the world. Does it still have a Fairbanks Morse with 1200 ponies?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 17:53   #43

Boat: Beneteau 36cc - Pura Vida

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Salty One View Post
Please tell us more and keep us updated.
galynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 18:00   #44

Boat: Spindrift 43
pirate Re: The Wanderer sailboat used in the Captain Ron movie sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
There is something right in the world. Does it still have a Fairbanks Morse with 1200 ponies?
I know this is old, but I love this movie enough to resurrect the thread for the clarification. I believe you mean "Fairchild Marine, 1200 ponies"!!! I hear it's the genuine article.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:22   #45

Boat: Island Packet 29

Wanderer is still in Kemah. I saw it last week.
Rockinar is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, sailboat