Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 19:34   #31

Re: The Sorry State of (Very) Small Craft

I row/sail an 18' Herreshoff Carpenter (from which the Sea Pearl was inspired) and both make great beach campers or sail tenters. Check out the Traditional Small Craft Association, a national 501 C3 with state and regional chapters throughout the country. Our members' boats (mostly wooden but also plastic) include all manner of small rowing/sailing vessels for cruising. Many small boat builders belong as well. For big boat cruising with friends I charter around the world these days, but otherwise prefer to mess about in small boats here in coastal Maine.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 09:56   #32

Good post. I've yet to begin sailing but I've done a lot of research while I wait for my house to sell. I've come to the conclusion that true blue-water boats are a myth and it's the sailing skills of the captain that make a boat blue-water safe.

Here's an interesting article with info on the smaller boats that have crossed oceans and many of them are on the lists of boats to stay away from. I saw people laughing in another post about the Macgregor 26X, making untrue statements about them. Read on!

https://www.eskimo.com/~mighetto/p04.htm
tropicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 18:21   #33

Boat: Scout 30

We went down to Fort DeSoto Park to check out the boats staging for the Everglades Challenge this year. I would say around two thirds or more were kayaks, both paddling & sailing. There were also a couple of paddle boards! I've been thinking about doing it but can't decide on the right boat. We've got a Bauer 10 which sails really well but is just too small. My favorite small boat design is the Scamp which may only be 12' but it's the biggest 12 footer around & appears to be quite capable.
https://www.facebook.com/SmallCraftA...agazineProject
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote