Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 13:12   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37
The Sailor's Life for Me

First Post. Might as well jump right in. I hear the waters fine.<br>
Beginning the liquidation process to go Liveaboard cruising. This will not be a simple task but Hey, it's only a 2700 sq. ft. house. LOL<br>
After much soul surfin and investigating I have settled on two boats from which to choose. The new Beneteau Oceanis 34 or Catalina 315. Unless the head designer at Beneteau can explain their lack of an "A" rating for their shallow draft model, it will be the Cat 315. I prefer her anyway.
I'm throwing this out for all you old Salts to read and rip if you want. I know there are the "Traditional" set and the lets call them "Moderates" out there that may want to chime in and I hope ya'll do. Home port is planned to be Port Aransas on the TX. Coast. "Sailin Somewhere" will live up to her name by doing just that.<br>
She will be post outfitted to the hilt for long passages including water maker, fuel bladder, spare everything. Duel anchors fore, One aft, Etc. Etc.<br>
She will be setup for as close to 100% cockpit control since I'm a 200% disabled Vet and pushin the big 70 in a couple years.<br>
So let's have at it. I won't be going anywhere. LOL
Old 04-10-2013, 13:24   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: The Sailor,s Life for Me

Not going to get into the rigging aspect of anything you mentioned but just want to relay what ive noticed between those 2 boats which is more aesthetics then anything.

The biggest thing I noticed between those 2 brands was the quality of fit and finish. Especially down below on the Beneteau all of the wood work and finishing's seemed very cheaply made. You could see the seams in the lamination on the walls separating and a lot of it looked like put me together furniture from the store. On the Catalina all of the Joinery was very well done with lots of solid teak and attention to detail.

Now I know the furnishing doesn't make the boat but my mind set is if they are skimping on small attentions to detail what else have they cut back on? I vote for the Catalina but I'm also biased.

By no means am I trying to slam Beneteaus as I am sure they are great sailing boats and I'm even more sure that the people that own them probably love them. I just wanted to relay the small things I noticed in their construction.
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 13:35   #3

Thanks for the info. I also feel Jerry has put together a good Cat in the 315. I also like the collision bulkhead. Gives a little piece of mind in today's litter strewn water.
Old 04-10-2013, 13:37   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

I'll jump in to point out...Catalina use lead keels +, Beneteau steel -! Catalina seem to have beefier rigging setup too.

If you can stretch to a C36 you will be more comfortable living aboard & at sea!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 13:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia II View Post
I'll jump in to point out...Catalina use lead keels +, Beneteau steel -! Catalina seem to have beefier rigging setup too.

If you can stretch to a C36 you will be more comfortable living aboard & at sea!
<br>
Agreed on the next size up but after I'm done outfitting the 315 I'll be in the $200,000+ range as it is.
Old 04-10-2013, 13:48   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
I would agree with a Catalina between those two boats. However I would probably look for a 34 used save yourself a boatload of cash. To use in the cruising kitty

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 13:51   #7

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimtex View Post
<br>
Agreed on the next size up but after I'm done outfitting the 315 I'll be in the $200,000+ range as it is.

You could choose to purchase a vessel a few yrs old with many additions already, such as watermakers, radar etc included aboard!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 14:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia II View Post
You could choose to purchase a vessel a few yrs old with many additions already, such as watermakers, radar etc included aboard!
<br>
I guess you have to get to know me better as time goes by. A lot has to do with just me being me. The 315 is a new model so not many out there yet. If one comes available I may look into that. Also pretty much decided the size would be just right for me and Treva at this point. Size = cost as we all know.
Old 04-10-2013, 14:16   #9

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: The Sailor's Life for Me

I'm really curious how a 70+ year old manages the ladders and stairs and climbing about the decks, moving sails around, getting in/out of dinghy, lifting the outboard, etc.
Not to mention on a monohull the inevitable banging and bruising.
Old 04-10-2013, 14:17   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I notice that both of your selections are light wind performance cruisers with winged keels and vulnerable unprotected rudders ready to catch any lobster or crab pot line day or night or bend the rudder post when you are hard aground. I'm not against the choice depending on what you expect from your boat and from yourself, but be prepared to not be able to crusie at night on the Gulf shores with crab traps unless you're ready to jump in with a blade to cut away the lines. Now, if you're going to be a deep water Caribbean cruiser and not poke about coastal, you might not be concerned with the pot lines; however, if you will be in the islands where it's blowing 15 to 20 out of the east most al the time, maybe you don't want the "featherduster". There's much about your choice that depends upon what you expect of your boat and yourself. Don't be too quick to choose!
Old 04-10-2013, 14:27   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

I'm really curious how a 70+ year old manages the ladders and stairs and climbing about the decks, moving sails around, getting in/out of dinghy, lifting the outboard, etc.

omg!!!!! i guess i am gonna die in less than 6 years, then.,.... scary thought...i figgered i would still be sailing at 70, as i am stronger than dirt...errrr, older than...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 14:30   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
'good thoughts. I moved aboard in my early twenties and I'll be 67 this month. I hope to have my boat adapt to my needs as I continue to age. I'll not buy into the myth that a monohull has inevitable banging and bruising while a multihull provides a stable platform. There's no doubt that age and physical abilities will eventually drive my wife and I ashore, but handling sails, moving outboards & dinghies, taking steps up or down ladders are all challenges that can be met with mechanical solutions and by planning and design. I do agree that older sailors need to be wiser sailors! 'here's to the geriatric vessel, but it doesn't have to be a catamaran!
Old 04-10-2013, 14:49   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hell, i am 65 and i aint reddy for the great sandpit in the sky quite yet and i aint ready to ditch my formosa which formosa my life i will be refitting--i see no reason why an old curmudgeonly or not fart cannot get onboard and off his boat--hell i still row my own dinghy....gotta be 20 for that
what freek dictatered that we need to find geriatric shiplets by age XX...off with that soulless´s head...lol

so what makes ye all think 70 is way too old to sail--my uncle sailed a gaff rigged sloop without an engine ALONE until he was 95. then he died.

guy i sailed gom with was 74 or so when i left there...lol he is still sailing... solo,even...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 14:54   #14

Boat: Ross 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I notice that both of your selections are light wind performance cruisers with winged keels and vulnerable unprotected rudders ready to catch any lobster or crab pot line day or night or bend the rudder post when you are hard aground. I'm not against the choice depending on what you expect from your boat and from yourself, but be prepared to not be able to crusie at night on the Gulf shores with crab traps unless you're ready to jump in with a blade to cut away the lines.
One Catalina 36 owner has posted on another forum that he is able to stay at the bow to dodge lobster pots using one of my autopilot remote controls and has likened it to playing a video game :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
...maybe you don't want the "featherduster".
What's a "featherduster"?

Neil
https://www.madmanmarine.com
Tymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 15:01   #15

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
I'm really curious how a 70+ year old manages the ladders and stairs and climbing about the decks, moving sails around, getting in/out of dinghy, lifting the outboard, etc. Not to mention on a monohull the inevitable banging and bruising.
70 isn't that old

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail