Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-03-2013, 21:32   #151

Boat: 1974 Tayana 37'
Re: The perfect offshore cruiser!?

Well I will toss my .02 cents into this discussion. I have spent the last 8 years researching this very question hoping for an answer before we bought our boat. I have learned a lot and there are some amazing boats out there IF you have the money and there are lots of boats out there that will tick of most of your must haves once again IF you have the money. We were originally looking in the 42-45' length but the longer or wider (cats) the boat the more money it take to manage them. There are some waters that require additional crew for a boat of that size again more money. We started looking smaller but my husband is 6'1" and 260# so we could only go so small and keep him comfortable. We settled on 37' also a size that could be single-handed if necessary. I don't like white plasticy interiors so that eliminated a lot of production boats. I also wouldn't finance a dream so would only buy a boat we could pay cash for which meant no new boats and we wanted to go sooner than later before we retired which meant out cruising kitty would be small. We bought an older 37' Tayana and she is absolutely beautiful and perfect for us. Did we make some compromises? Yes. Would she meet the needs of some of the other members of this forum? No. Do I care? No, because to me she is the best boat for us and is ready to go not a project boat and we are only 6 weeks away from moving aboard so we will be living our dream very soon.

10yearplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 21:37   #152
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sounds like a Cape Dory.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 03:39   #153

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Thumbs up Re: The perfect offshore cruiser!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
All my electrical systems are "Lucas" and they work just fine! You guys really have been hurting my feelings
Don, i hate to say this to you but your boat is a Hunter? And it has a lucas electrical system?

My condolences.
Old 13-03-2013, 04:44   #154
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10yearplan View Post
Would she meet the needs of some of the other members of this forum? No. Do I care? No, because to me she is the best boat for us
Which I think is one of the "secrets" to picking a suitable boat .

Of course not to say that later "you" don't buy an even "better" boat .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 05:35   #155
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Okay, let's run those numbers to take a look at what the OP's dream boat would look like. He wants to be LOA 36-38, so lets assume a 32' waterline. To hit his DLR that boat will have to weight around 19,000 lbs. Now to get into his desired SA/D ratio, that boat would have to have exactly 1,000 square feet of sail area. (!)

Let's say you wanted to customize a Tayana 37 to create the OP's dream boat. You'd have to shave 5,000 pounds off the displacement, while at the same time you'd be more than doubling the sail area.

Anyone want to speculate how that puppy is gonna sail?

Now let's try it the other way. A Catalina 380 has pretty close to the OP's desired DLR at 248.92. But its SA/D is only 16.35, so to get it up to the OP's standards we're going to have to add several hundred square feet of sail area. (That's going to be a 30% increase in sail area, so you're not going to accomplish this just by adding a square-top main and a bit of roach.)

Again, anyone want to speculate on how that puppy is gonna sail? (Can you say "weather helm?" How about "Round up?") The Catalina 380 is certainly closer to the boat the OP wants, but the fact is that the OP's dream boat doesn't exist and never will, because those two ratios are not going to work together in the size boat the OP wants to find.
FYI - I think your numbers on the Tayana 37 are a bit off. Displacement is 22,000 lbs. and sail area is 768 sq. ft.
Old 13-03-2013, 05:42   #156
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I agree with the sentiment somewhere above: if you need to ask this question you have FAR too little experience offshore.
I am sure that is right - but I am sure most folks asking the question know that already, they just have to start somewhere and on dryland as good as any to get at least a handle on their unknowns - if not better than simply heading out......
Old 13-03-2013, 08:42   #157

Boat: 31' GRP Folkboat

I got nothing to add on the topic yet , still lookin for MY perfect cruising boat. But while looking , I'll sail the crap outta the cheap sailboat I bought first.

This quote caught my attention:
Quote:
Don, i hate to say this to you but your boat is a Hunter? And it has a lucas electrical system?
You guys know why the english like warm beer? Lucas makes their fridges too!

.manitu
Old 13-03-2013, 08:52   #158

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As a freind once noted after his first trip to the UK.

"christ what a country! the beer is warm, the girls are cold and the hot water comes out of a faucet on the wrong side of the sink!"
Old 13-03-2013, 08:56   #159

Did I say this before.. perfect is a silly concept... depends on people, skills, conditions and cruising grounds.. and perhaps lifestyle and budget... It's a balancing act... you try to optimize.
Old 13-03-2013, 08:57   #160
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: The perfect offshore cruiser!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

"christ what a country! the beer is warm, the girls are cold and the hot water comes out of a faucet on the wrong side of the sink!"
Whydja fink I live in Portugal.....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 09:04   #161
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i try to remain away from prince of darkness equipment--even tho i have a perkins engine, i dislike darkness when light is required....
wild pitching and rolling?? only with empty tankage, i find some of that, but with my tanks full and ballast stowed correctly, aint no pitching and rolling--just fine sailing....
happy sails.

oh yes, and as don's surname is lucas, he is always with something lucas....but he might be a fortunate cousin , instead of the dark prince...LOL
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 09:39   #162

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Dont buy a boat for conditions you may never see or buy one for the 10% of experiences , buy one for the 90% experiences. Then avoid the 10% !!

Dave
X100.
Old 13-03-2013, 13:46   #163
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

If your freind found he needed a faucet then he was probably using the wrong pipe - which may have accounted for the frosty reception from the local girls........

The beer is not warm - it's body temperature, and that's for volume reasons .....twice yer weight in beer? that's part of Afternoon Tea .
Old 14-03-2013, 01:30   #164

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

I've never had a 98 degree beer...

Perhaps a nice mulled mead. yar.
Old 14-03-2013, 02:38   #165

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
If your freind found he needed a faucet then he was probably using the wrong pipe - which may have accounted for the frosty reception from the local girls........

The beer is not warm - it's body temperature, and that's for volume reasons .....twice yer weight in beer? that's part of Afternoon Tea .
Of course I could have called it a tap, but that would be british english. My friend was an american and taps are called faucet on that side of the pond.

98 degree beer is warm as far as I'm concerned, I might even go so far as to call it hot.

Tags
cruiser, offshore

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: