Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2009, 13:12   #46

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
the cruisers we meet along the way

Last year we met and were assisted by a couple on a 50 something foot steel ketch. They had carefully planned their escape to cruising. Two years of planning during the build and prep sequence. then another two years of cruising to learn that the two years of prep were all wrong, focused on the wrong stuff. Now, after two years of correcting the "prior plans" and two years of getting it right cruising (six years after the project inception) they figure the boat is right and they are ready.

There is a lot to be said for simply going!

Another couple we know very well went around the world on a 36 foot converted IOR racing design with kids aboard. Then they went around on a 45 foot clipper bow ketch without the kids. Now they are converting a 45 foot IOR racer into another boat they will use to "go around" with.

Met a French family in Dominica, West indies, aboard a 30 foot Pogo.

All kinds of boats.

All kinds of folk.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 13:20   #47

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Boats I admire...would consider owning...besides my own...

Oysters, Cherubinis are simply beyond my reach...so...while I admire them I'll leave them and others off the list..

Any Sabre...The 362 would fit me very nicely...The 386, is a wonderful boat, but it keeps me from getting under some bridges and a bit out of my price range.

Gozzards...36..38
Pacific Seacraft 37 voyagemaker...
Island Packet 38
Cheoy lees..
Old 20-12-2009, 14:23   #48

What's wrong with a Sabre 34? They are well built, easy to sail, seaworthy and attractive. We looked at one during our boat search.
Old 20-12-2009, 14:40   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
How about a Herrshoff Marco Polo. I think the guy knew a thing or two.

Just his opinion, not mine.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 17:27   #50

I sailed in company with a Marco polo in 1970. The boat I was on was MYA, lately owned by the late Ted Kennedy. He was not the owner when I sailed the schooner. The MP is OK. You'd probably have to have one built.

Elizabeth and i chose our Aphrodite 101 because it has a very narrow beam. The MP is skinny, too. It is desirable in many instances but hardly popular these days. our choice.

The "issue" is still people not boats.
Old 20-12-2009, 17:31   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
What's wrong with a Sabre 34? They are well built, easy to sail, seaworthy and attractive. We looked at one during our boat search.
Oh, I am very happy with my 34...and have continously maintained and upgraded it. It's been from Maine to Florida and To Bermuda..and back..

It's probably not the best " long range" cruiser..but it wouldn't hold me back if it's the boat I have when I'm ready to go!..
Old 20-12-2009, 18:36   #52

If "perfect"is the enemy of "good," what do you see as the S 34's limitations?

I can quibble about some small points but not about the big ones. For me, the mid boom sheeting is a drawback. Otherwise, the boat has stowage and tankage for a long haul.

Which did you prefer the Maine to Florida or the Bermuda and back?

Norm
Old 20-12-2009, 20:13   #53

Hi Norm,

Tankage is light in my mind for "long distance"...but manageble. Fuel is only 20 gallons..I usually carry an extra 10 when cruising. Water is ok...I carry plenty of drinking water in seperate containers and use the tanks for washing up mostly.

The designed electrical system and two batteries could probably be beefed up a little to accomodate the extras....and maybe a high output alternator...

From a comfort perspective, I would love a seperate shower. But stopping the boat and jumping in the water for a swim...helps

I don't mind the mid-boom sheeting, in fact, I think it's safer and I prefer it.
I wouldn't want a traveler in the companionway, and I don't like having the mainsheet behind me on this size vessel. I do like the easy access on smaller vessels. If I'm solo, and need to adjust the mainsail or the traveler, I set the auto pilot for second, and then I'm back at the helm.

Coastal sailing...Maine to florida is wonderful....you have an infinite number of options....from stopping every night...or every few days...or not stopping at all...depending on your mood, the weather, how good the fishing is...etc..
Bermuda..is an adventure...and can test you. your vessel..and your crew..
I liked doing both.....on the coastal sails, I can have friends hop aboard along the way and they don't necessarily need to be experiences sailors....
Doing 600 miles of open ocean, crossing the gulf stream, I want a seasoned crew.

What's your main complaint about the mid boom sheeting? access?
Old 21-12-2009, 08:07   #54

Tempest,
I like the long offshore legs with a small crew, two or three maximum. I find them relaxing. Coastal work is fun but frenetic. My wife and I have a lot more offshore work than coastal work as a couple. I think we will have fun with a trip down the ICW for reasons you mentioned.

My only complaint about mid boom sheeting is simply that I like to trim the main a lot (leftover from the old racing days, I suppose.) and end boom sheeting is better for that. Our little boat has end boom sheeting. Our traveller is a bit in the way. Personal preference.

I agree that mid boom is better with a crew of not-sailors. I have skippered so many charter boats with mid boom sheeting and been thankful more than once.

How many sailed with you to Bermuda and what was your routing?

Norm
Old 21-12-2009, 08:56   #55

Tempest
What year and hull number is your boat?
Norman
Old 21-12-2009, 10:01   #56

Norm,

Yes, my fear with an end sheeted boom, is always the non sailors who don't know the forces involved, and haven't developed that internal radar, of where not to sit or stand.

Well, I like to take my time on the coastals...you know..stop and smell the roses....I try not to look at it as a delivery..I agree that if you're on a schedule..
it can get frenetic, arriving in port late, and leaving early....imagine pulling into Annapolis..and not having a few days to explore..what fun is that.

We Left Annapolis, with 5 crew for Bermuda, (BOR) 5 was too many...3 is the right number!!
Annapolis to Jax was nice with only 2

1985...hull #245..
Old 21-12-2009, 10:30   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
All the things we've discussed before. My personal preference is for a heavier, narrower-beamed monohulls with a modified full keel -- or fin and skeg -- that has plenty of storage and tankage and a generous enough SA/D to keep it from being sluggish in light airs. I also like a boat that looks nice, which is of course subjective. That's why I have the boat I have. But as long as the boat someone chooses is adequately well built, I don't begrudge anyone choosing something different (then again, if they want to argue it from a purely academic point of view ... I'm always game).
Old 21-12-2009, 12:05   #58

An interesting site for us number crunchers

Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2000+ boats

Carl's Sailboat Calculator

I got into this discussion for a couple of reasons... besides loving to talk boats. I am intersted in the trips and findings of other sailors about:
A: the boats
B: the sailors

Boats are pretty easy to measure. People are less so.

I hope that it will not require too much more dragging to get tempest to tell us about his trip to Bermuda. Starting point, finishing point, why 5 in crew, how were the comfort issues, food sleep, etc. What do you plan to do differently. Was a crew of 2 OK?

For our part, E and I have done a few deliveries together. Each one adds to our "sail away" plan in a new way. So many aspects have gotten simpler and smaller. We did a two week delivery in the Caribbean on a 45 footer. Some 36 hour legs and some overnights. Boat was too big in every way. The 15 day ocean sail on a Ben 352 was comfy with three as we all got plenty of rest. The third was a good friend and sailor so none of the odd man out dynamic. More room than we needed. We did like the showers every thrid day part a lot. Lots of water. Boat is a slow sailor so fuel became an issue. Fast sailing and sailors who can trim for speed really matter. Opinions.

Tempest, is the 1985 model the second version of the Sabre 34 that rates NE PHRF 135? That is what we rate, too. How many days BER-JAX?
Old 21-12-2009, 12:17   #59

look up first and ask questions later?

http://cruisingresources.com/Sabre_34_(1976_-_1985)

SABRE 34-2 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com (units English)

so... back to the conversation...
Old 21-12-2009, 12:34   #60
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
1. Sugar scoop transom
2. aft cockpit
3. LWL greater than 12 meters

Tags
long term cruising