Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-12-2012, 20:51   #91

Boat: Jarkan 34
Re: The Perfect Dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the dink you choose will depnd on its ultimate use. if you will be sitting in a marina at a dock, then get a portabote.. in relity, they totally sukk. too flobbily. wlkr bay is better.
for use as a transportation device from your anchored boat to a beach, some kind of a motorized reflatable is a good thing to have. even small outbard on a walker bay is a good choice. the walker bay dinks donot get stolen. engines do, not th plastic boats. mine is 8 ft.
reflatable boats make great work platforms, as they are stable and g3entle on your hull, unlike anything metal.
but--s your choice. have fun deciding.
Yep, I'm with Zeehag on this one. My Walker bay does everything a small dinghy should do. Motors well with a 4hp o/b, rows very nicely and sails remarkably well too. Best of all perhaps is that it is so light that my lightly constructed davits don't mind it up there at all. Walker Bay Australia |
Longtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 21:17   #92

The classic New England answer to your problem is a Dyer Dhow. Low enough to see over when it's on the cabin trunk, light enough to lift there, and able to carry 3 adults. Row very well. They are also great fun to sail.

Expensive, but you should be able to find an old one for a reasonable price and bring it back to "like new"

The 9-foot Dyer "Dhow" Dinghy
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:24   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Reviving an old thread.

I just saw one of these, Off Shore Tenders, in St Martin. Caught my eye as very nicely done. I was gonna post it on the dingy history thread but that was marked “closed”?

Aluminum hull, flotation wrap on the outside that doubles as full fenders. Wide tunnels with anti skid, hey have built in hatch covers which open to mesh bags. In short you can walk the gunnel and your “stuff” is stored in mesh bags so it doesn’t roll around.

I don’t think it will store on deck well. But for coastal cruising? Perfect!

Pricey.

Octenders.co.nz

https://octenders.co.nz/products-oc350/
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 19:42   #94

Boat: Imexus 28

Hi All Thanks for reviving this old thread as I am struggling with precisely this issue at present. My old inflatable is coming unglued ( perhaps like its owner ) and my proposed cruising location and unusual yacht mean I am seeking an off beat solution.

I am intending several extended trips to the Kimberley's in Western Australia. It is a remote and rugged area with sharp reefs and rocks, over 10 meter tides in places and infested with some very large salt water crocodiles just for good measure.

Conversely my 28 foot power sailer has the capability to occasionally motor at 25 knots ( useful to run occasionally against tides rather than wait days for the right conditions and timing to move ) meaning towing the dingy at all times isn't really practical.

My stern carrying capacity would be beyond its limits with any larger dingy on davits ( and maybe even small ones ). I have a good sized gently sloping for-deck where my previous inflatable lived lashed to the deck but have to lift something up there.

Friends with experience highly recommend dual skin plastic hard dingy's whilst others also with some experience have again purchased an inflatable due to these weight, stowage and carrying restraints.
I have looked at the BIC sportsyak 245 on line and wondering if anyone has experience with these or alternative suggestions.

Regards Graeme
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 19:58   #95

Grith, have a look at what Free Range Sailing think of the Porta-Bote as they have cruised the Kimberley's.

cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 20:03   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

Aluminum hull, flotation wrap on the outside that doubles as full fenders. Wide tunnels with anti skid, hey have built in hatch covers which open to mesh bags. In short you can walk the gunnel and your “stuff” is stored in mesh bags so it doesn’t roll around.
No, it's not an aluminium hull, it's a carbon reinforced fibreglass and PVC foam sandwich composite hull. They have used some kevlar reinforcing and have offered an optional aluminium bottom plate for additional protection. I would actually use a polypropylene plate like the alloy jetboats do as it slides over rocks, etc. much better so good for dragging up rocky beaches or boat ramps.
Old 06-02-2019, 20:29   #97
Marine Service Provider

Plastic or glass is better for the Kimberly region. Big crocs, rocks and tides means you need lightweight and tough. Finn kayaks make a small catamaran dinghy in polyethylene which might fit the bill. Higher freeboard helps. Too many accounts of deflated inflatables, and egos, with big crocs using them for teething rings. Couldnt think of anything worse than sailing to one of the most beautiful remote unspoilt paradises left in Australia only to have your tender chewed up and be stranded on your boat for the rest of your trip. I grew up in croc country and after three really close calls I am glad I left. The crocs are getting worse as the years go by, larger numbers and bolder behaviour. Free range sailing on youtube seem to do quite well with their porta bote, they cruised the Kimberley extensively and are keen amateur fishermen spending a lot of time in there dinghy. Size is important, contrary to what most women would have you believe, as crocs can be a bit intimidated by a larger dinghy. Please note the use of the word "bit" in the previous sentence. Speed is also a good asset and can get you out of a sticky situation when dealing with crocs. You may need to lug your dinghy long distances over tricky terrain when dealing with such huge tidal ranges so weight , as always, plays an important role. If money was no object I would look at an OC Tender, a slightly cheaper alternative would be an ezytopper 3 or 3.7. . I've used a polycraft tuff tender and found them way too heavy and cumbersome with very little freeboard, not ideal for croc country. The double skinned polyethylene boats are incredibly heavy for their size. The finn catamaran dinghy is single skinned and around the 50kg mark from memory. My own dinghy design suits my needs the best of all however you need the capacity to carry it. Free range sailing have a 28ft yacht and manage quite well with the porta bote. They claim they are often the smallest boat in the anchorage with the biggest tender. Sounds ideal in croc country. An aussie version of the portabote made from foam and glass called quickboat from west australia might be a better option, all the folding advantages but stiffer hulls.
sailhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 20:43   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhand View Post
An aussie version of the portabote made from foam and glass called quickboat from west australia might be a better option, all the folding advantages but stiffer hulls.
Also, keep an eye out for a used Mangrove Jack which was the forerunner to the QuickBoat. They were both made in W.A.

Tags
dinghy