Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-05-2012, 11:26   #46

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: The Perfect Dinghy

Nope, didn't row the Livingston. Obviously you have so I'll take your word that it doesn't row well. Does it row better than an inflatable?
kind regards,
Old 29-05-2012, 11:54   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

inflatable is easier. even in wind. and especially when livingston gets watr in the space between hulls--is a double hull design--not twins, but one inside the other for flotation....becomes very heavy
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 11:59   #48

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Look at a Livingston. They come in all sizes. Very stable and can carry a lot for their size. They are fiberglass and have a catamaran configuration. I've never seen a sailing version but maybe you could rig it such. If you want a small sailing version then El Toro or Naples Sabot are two of the best sailors around. They are a bit small at 8 feet but are stable as a hard chined pram.
kind regards,

I have a Livingston and love it. It's a 8ft. with a 6hp. Tohatsu and it plans. They have a 9 and 10 also.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 12:05   #49

There is absolutely no way an inflatable rows well...period! While my Livingston is not a rowing shell. It rows adequately. It has two hulls in the water acting as a keel...where as an inflatable has none and slides sideways at a puff of any wind.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 29-05-2012, 12:14   #50

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
inflatable is easier. even in wind. and especially when livingston gets watr in the space between hulls--is a double hull design--not twins, but one inside the other for flotation....becomes very heavy
The OP specifically said he isn't open to an inflatable. And for the most part, inflatables will not serve his needs well. They (as Martin noted) are very poor candidates for rowing and are simply more difficult to maneuver in even slightly windy or choppy conditions. I'm completely sold on the rigid dingy over an inflatable in that size/class.

As far as the Livingstons, they are very stable. I have rowed and motored a 9 foot version and found the performance to be impressive.

The Walker Bays are decent, but I'd choose Livingston in a heartbeat due to its stability. Walker Bay boats are stable once you gain decent speed, but when approaching a dock or your boat in windy and choppy conditions, the Livingston outperforms a Walker Bay.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 12:28   #51
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
There is absolutely no way an inflatable rows well...period! While my Livingston is not a rowing shell. It rows adequately. It has two hulls in the water acting as a keel...where as an inflatable has none and slides sideways at a puff of any wind.
Obviously "rows well" is a matter of opinion - but a 9' Avon has always rowed perfectly adequately for me, albeit never ventured further than the eye can see (and usually a lot closer!). Won't say is quicker than a decent hard dink, but if not overloaded can make fairly rapid process.

The "secret" is decent oars - for me that means wood, and bigger the better - not toy town plastic paddles on aluminium sticks ......and with an Avon a bit of technique to keep the oars in the "rowlocks" is no bad thing either .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 12:30   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

If OP can find the secret to the Perfect Dinghy (on this thread, or elsewhere) - and can patent it - could then buy a bigger boat........
Old 29-05-2012, 13:21   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

The "secret" is decent oars .

Them's ain't oars....Them's me sisters!!!...

Yes...I forgot to mention that long, light, balanced oars are key to any rowing.
Old 29-05-2012, 15:09   #54

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Celestial,
Sorry I called your dinghy 7 feet instead of 8.
Old 29-05-2012, 15:26   #55

They're called both. If you look at the hull from above, the 2 bows equal 7' 11". If you measure from the bridge between them, it's 7 1/2 ft. I agree that the 9 might make a better tender but I like that I can muscle it into the water myself.
Old 29-05-2012, 15:58   #56

ok doj--ye can row a reflatable in 25 kts breezes and make it to your boat 100 yds out in less than 15 mins?? wow--you rock.
Old 29-05-2012, 16:18   #57
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok doj--ye can row a reflatable in 25 kts breezes and make it to your boat 100 yds out in less than 15 mins?? wow--you rock.
100 yards? that close and yer can pretty much jump on and off

25 knots and I probably wouldn't be going out on any 9' dink - if it had the sea to match. But if I had to, would feel a damned sight safer on an inflatable .......even if progress involved a lot of crabbing towards the shore. and a wet backside
Old 29-05-2012, 16:30   #58
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
100 yards? that close and yer can pretty much jump on and off

25 knots and I probably wouldn't be going out on any 9' dink - if it had the sea to match. But if I had to, would feel a damned sight safer on an inflatable .......even if progress involved a lot of crabbing towards the shore. and a wet backside

To me this gets down to the meat of the issue. If you are afraid to take your dinghy through the surf in 25 knots of wind, you would not be going ashore at all in a great many places much of the time. This is one reason why "deflatables" are so popular, they handle rough water very well in a small package when fitted with a good outboard, and if things go pear shaped in the surf they are less likely to break your neck when they land on top of you. This is one reason I always keep a 12' Zodiac on board as well as the RIB, I think a totally soft dinghy really has a place for that purpose. Anyone who has run some beach surf and failed can understand what I'm talking about. Finding the same qualities in a hard dink can be challenging. I definitely like to have both.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 16:36   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
To me this gets down to the meat of the issue. If you are afraid to take your dinghy through the surf in 25 knots of wind, you would not be going ashore at all in a great many places much of the time. This is one reason why "deflatables" are so popular, they handle rough water very well in a small package when fitted with a good outboard, and if things go pear shaped in the surf they are less likely to break your neck when they land on top of you. This is one reason I always keep a 12' Zodiac on board as well as the RIB, I think a totally soft dinghy really has a place for that purpose. Anyone who has run some beach surf and failed can understand what I'm talking about. Finding the same qualities in a hard dink can be challenging. I definitely like to have both.
did the walker bay until 23 kts kept me from gaining easy access tomy boat in matching seas--lol--i use the 6'6" oars--love em...will be saving for 9'4"reflatable again with small outboard again in a bit....
Old 29-05-2012, 17:28   #60

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Best of both worlds
Increased stability, reduced spray and no damage to topsides

- Home

It's pretty obvious that one persons perfect dinghy is another's POS dinghy.
It would be good if the OP would come back and tell us what he actually wanted one to do.

Does he want it to be a liferaft as well? not at this point
Does he want speed? NO
Does he want to spend $12000? DEFINATELY NO
Does he want it to be cheap? LESS COSTLY, NOT CHEAP
Does he want it to be light and lifted over the head by one person? YES
Cat Man Do .... all very good questions.
See answers above underlined
Well, let's see .... hmmmm .... I plan on cruising the Pacific for an untold number of years and need a small boat, which I can single hand on deck, go to the dock or shore and return with possibly stores. Other than that just a little row about boat that would also handle well in moderate chop.

Tags
dinghy