Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 03:00   #286

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: The Perfect 60' to 65' Cruising Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by captprogreso View Post
the Garcia exploration 52 see at

almost everithing minus the tender opening
It's a very nice boat. I've actually been on the smaller version of this boat, and was very impressed.

It does not have a real pilothouse like I have on my list, but deck salon is high enough that you can see over the deck from a seated position -- this is principally different from the normal "deck salon" arrangement where you can see over the deck only from a standing position. I like it -- it actually sort of fulfills the purpose of a pilothouse, particularly since the nav station has perfect view forward over the deck and with an engine control there. That's very nice indeed.

The boat seems a little small to me (coming from a 54 footer with 16' beam) and the sleeping cabins are quite a bit tighter than what I have now. Salon is much smaller with the galley stuffed in there too. Might be hard for me to get used to. But that's the price of having -- finally -- proper technical spaces and deck storage. Might be worth it.

But all in all -- a really nice boat, with a lot of details considered which are really important to long distance and high latitude sailors, which are not considered in normal cruising boats. I like it very much -- thanks for posting this.

Another huge advantage of this boat is that it is shockingly cheap -- only €700k without VAT, presumably without sails or electronics, but still -- this is like 1/3 of what I would expect to pay for a custom build. Would be under a million, probably, all in, if I didn't need to pay VAT. That might move my plans forward. Hmmmm.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 17:54   #287

Boat: 1980 freedom 33 and 2005 hunter 41

I just jump from a 33 bluewater boat to a hunter 41.
I think size can only allow you to carry more stuff, to become more and more prone to fix this change that etc.
there are travelers making thousend of miles in a very small boats. There are others looking for a 65 perfect boat.
There is not asuch thing, what you can find as i did , is a sailboat were my family stop complaning about basic things like limited water, too small head etc. Then if you like like sailing, and you are not afraid how small or big it is, you have just find the perfect sailboat.
Happy sailing.
This Garcia sailboat is my dream sailboat, but my hunter 41 is making me happy has happy i can be.
captprogreso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 20:26   #288

1 foot over , nice yacht tho for cruising.

BCookCornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 11:11   #289

People are talking about "floating condos" but referring to boats that to me are more like "floating houses!" Maybe that's just the millennial in me speaking though.
TernEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 08:44   #290

Boat: Able 50

Should you ever see a guy mowing the lawn on the aft deck you might be right. Pulling weeds on the bottom doesn't count.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 18:06   #291
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Oyster 625 is being build to fulfill the market described. BUT... I was on an Oyster 62 just last week because I was considering the purchase of a 62, and discovered all I would get for the extra money was crews quarters and the added headache of dealing with heavier objects like the sails. The Oyster 56 and 575 actually work better for a cruising couple because the crew isn't needed, so no space is dedicated to having them.

We've decided to stick with what we have. The boat is finally equipped perfect for the two of us, and for 3-4 others who might visit. If necessary, the two of us can manage taking down the sails and my wife is capable of hoisting me up the mast. A good friend who's chartered his Swan 65 for ten years, also advised me against any sailboat larger than 60ft. It's not the docking or sailing the vessel that's the problem, it's managing and dealing with the heavier objects.
‘Funny how much things change in four years; I just stumbled on this old post of mine which was much forgotten.

Earlier today, Pam and I took down the two jibs by ourselves on the 62, folded them on-deck, then with the help of Pam’s brilliant idea... used the spinnaker halyard to lift the sails into a shore cart. We then loaded both Yankee and staysail into our Scion XB and delivered them to the loft for cleaning and minor repairs.

It can be done... even by two 61 year olds.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 18:13   #292

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
‘Funny how much things change in four years; I just stumbled on this old post of mine which was much forgotten.

Earlier today, Pam and I took down the two jibs by ourselves on the 62, folded them on-deck, then with the help of Pam’s brilliant idea... used the spinnaker halyard to lift the sails into a shore cart. We then loaded both Yankee and staysail into our Scion XB and delivered them to the loft for cleaning and minor repairs.

It can be done... even by two 61 year olds. [emoji3][emoji3]
Ah, but whatcha doing with the crew quarters? (Or maybe your 62 doesn't have them?)

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 18:15   #293
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
Ah, but whatcha doing with the crew quarters? (Or maybe your 62 doesn't have them?)
I’m seriously considering using both boats for charter service.
Old 18-05-2018, 18:40   #294

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:

It can be done... even by two 61 year olds.
You should have got a 66 if handling the sails was your limitation on size as two people can deal with the sails on my boat. It is close to the limit for two though. I don't think a couple could go very much bigger.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 19:11   #295
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
You should have got a 66 if handling the sails was your limitation on size as two people can deal with the sails on my boat. It is close to the limit for two though. I don't think a couple could go very much bigger.
‘You sure about that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	627BBC36-835F-4044-83AC-6BFF581EA9D8.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	170025  
Old 18-05-2018, 19:30   #296

Boat: Oyster 66

Maybe you and yours could manage, but me and mine would struggle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frail.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	170026  
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 03:09   #297

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...
Talking Re: The Perfect 60' to 65' Cruising Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Nice boats, but fall far, far short of fulfilling my list of requirements. A motor sailer??!! Bah! I must have 5 knot VMG to windward! For that I need a real sailing machine, bulb keel, probably carbon rig.

This boat is closer: Beowulf - 80ft Skip Dashew Design

Wow, what a beast. Just a bit too long, at about 80 feet. I just couldn't dock that anywhere where I sail, unfortunately. Otherwise, that's getting really close.
The Beasts are now both 4sale

https://nl.yachtworld.com/boten/1998...rcher-3652945/

https://nl.yachtworld.com/boten/1999...rcher-3674306/

https://sailgodspeed.com/features.php

they are still 80ft after all those years...

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 06:57   #298

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ77 View Post

Yeah, Beowulf has been for sale for a while.

I think both old boats will need quite a lot of investment and updating, and I find them pretty pricy considering.

Course it would be cool to own Beowulf . . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising