Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 16:13   #46

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: The Perfect 60' to 65' Cruising Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You're asking that on a sailing forum?
Did someone change the forum name?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 16:48   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
But then kenomac is only 80lb and 4'9 tall.............
LOL... I'm 6'4" and 240. That's why I asked about the purchase, which a snatch block accomplishes. Makes sense and I'll look into that when I get back to the boat.
Old 09-09-2014, 17:33   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The perfect 65 footer would be 42 feet long....
I could agree with that.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 19:08   #49
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
^^

Realize that the ultimate logical conclusion of dashew's thinking is an 80' power boat.

When steve and I were testing drogues on his stern deck (on the power boat), Beth and Linda were up on the fly bridge, and Linda leaned over to beth and quietly said "this is the only one of his boats that I have not been scared by"..

Ran into this the other day (not literally!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	88007  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 19:11   #50
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'll post a couple more. Posting from the phone, only one at a time...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	270
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	88008  

Old 09-09-2014, 19:17   #51
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One more.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	287
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	88009  

Old 09-09-2014, 19:23   #52
cruiser

Dockhead,

I re-read your requirements for the perfect boat. You keep describing a new Humphreys designed Oyster 625. Check it out out... It has everything.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 19:36   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
LOL... I'm 6'4" and 240. That's why I asked about the purchase, which a snatch block accomplishes. Makes sense and I'll look into that when I get back to the boat.
Here's a picture. The spinnaker halyards used to haul me up are then run back to the cockpit via the jib sheet blocks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140804_105717_resized.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	88010  
Old 09-09-2014, 19:47   #54

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 43

Dockhead,

Have you looked at Hallberg-Rassy 64 ? It is very much like what you looking for.
Hallberg-Rassy - Yachts - Center Cockpit Boats
bona2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 21:29   #55

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

This thread has taught me that it takes a million dollar cruiser to make 5 knots VMG to windward - under sail. Previously, I kinda thought that any old 40 foot, fin keeled, Marconi sloop could muster meaningful progress to windward in a "less than perfect" conditions.

I will no longer feel inadequate when my engine is needed to make progress against wind and chop. As a matter of fact, I might even feel a bit smug as Panope (with its new fire breathing 40 hp Yanmar) makes about 5 knots against 30 knot winds.

I certainly mean no offense to anyone who seeks (and can afford) this type of sailing performance.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 00:08   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
This thread has taught me that it takes a million dollar cruiser to make 5 knots VMG to windward - under sail. Previously, I kinda thought that any old 40 foot, fin keeled, Marconi sloop could muster meaningful progress to windward in a "less than perfect" conditions.

I will no longer feel inadequate when my engine is needed to make progress against wind and chop. As a matter of fact, I might even feel a bit smug as Panope (with its new fire breathing 40 hp Yanmar) makes about 5 knots against 30 knot winds.

I certainly mean no offense to anyone who seeks (and can afford) this type of sailing performance.

Steve
If you can motor 5 knots dead upwind against 30 knots (a F7) in the typical F7 sea state, my hat's off to your boat. I've never seen a sailboat which could do this. My boat, with 100 horsepower, cannot.

To punch through F7 seas, you need a lot of power, which you can generally only get from sails, other than perhaps some very powerful motor sailers.

In trying to get nearly 1500 miles upwind last month, I tried everything in the book. Best VMG to windward occurred, in F6-F7, by motorsailing with tightly sheeted main, traveler up to weather, about 17 to 20 degrees off the apparent wind. Like that I could make about 6 knots of boat speed so something less than 5 knots VMG. Burned a lot of fuel AND still had to tack Got me across, but it was not fun.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:25   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Dockhead,

I re-read your requirements for the perfect boat. You keep describing a new Humphreys designed Oyster 625. Check it out out... It has everything.
The new Humphreys Oyster 625 is just about the antithesis of my ideal cruising boat -- a big, fat, immensely heavy floating condo with uselessly cavernous living spaces and inadequate technical spaces. That boat has a beam of 18', and with its fat a** I bet the transom is wider than the beam of my present boat! It displaces nearly 40 tons! It doesn't solve any of the main issues in my list -- dinghy on the same crappy davits I have on my present boat, no sheltered watchkeeping station, no sail locker, no windshield, etc., etc. It has less deck storage than my present boat! With respect, that seems to me to be 90% lifestyle and maybe 10% sailing. Here is the master cabin:

Name:	Sailing Yacht Oyster 625 - Double <a title=Cabin - Image courtesy of Oyster Marine.jpeg Views: 296 Size: 50.6 KB ID: 88012" style="margin: 2px" />

Imagine being tossed around in that in a seaway! Bah! That's made for the dockside at Monaco, not for crossing the North Sea.

I much prefer the Holman & Pye Oyster 62 which, one has to admit, is one of the most beautiful sailboats ever put in the water. I also much prefer Humphreys' earlier designs, like your very pretty boat (the Oyster 53), drawn when he was still imitating H&P and before he started imitating Hanses.

What I'm looking for is very different -- much narrower (16' max), much lighter (25, maximum 30 tons), much stronger, much much faster, with a manageable sail plan, with modest interior spaces but very generous technical and storage spaces, and with a foredeck like that of a fishing boat's. Not a floating condo (catamarans are much better at that, if that's what I wanted), not a Gucci-esque lifestyle statement/status symbol, but a lean, mean, sailing machine. Something like Steve Dashew meets Bill Dixon.

It doesn't exist, I'm afraid. Good thing I love my present boat, despite her various flaws, because I'm likely with her for life.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:33   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
The new Humphreys Oyster 625 is just about the antithesis of my ideal cruising boat --

Bah!
I think Bah! summed up your thoughts....... the rest of the words were wasted ..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:48   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:

It doesn't exist, I'm afraid.
The custom yachtbuilders will construct whatever you want, and I mean whatever. Like you, I have firm views what makes a good boat and it is not close to the production boat norm. They don't bat an eyelid. If it can physically be done, it will be done.

A lot of your requirments are not expensive and would actually make the boat cheaper.

If you start with known hull design like the Van de Stadt Stadship the cost is likely to less than an equivalent Oyster.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:54   #60
cruiser

Dockhead,

The folks in the Oysters, Discoverys, Swans, Amels and HRs are the ones out cruising and doing the liveaboard thing, not the ones sitting dockside in condos. Everywhere we go, these are the people out in the anchorages living self contained mostly as a retired or semi retired cruising couple... primarily British in origin for the Oyster owners. It may seem contrary to what you'd imagine, but it's true. We also see an abundance of catamarans, the new over 50ft Lagoons look like floating condos, but I think most of them are charter boats.

When you get to the size boat you describe, owners also want creature comforts, otherwise, if you buy a boat that's more utilitarian, you for sure will end up some day in possession of a "white elephant," that's nearly impossible to sell. The Oyster 62 I was looking at was sort of a "white elephant" because it was custom built without crews quarters. Something that appealed to me, but seems to turn off many prospective buyers. Quite a few cruisers in the 60-65ft size, set out anticipating the need for crew, but then later on discover the pitfalls of dealing with crew, and decide to go without them.

Tags
cruising