Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 15:15   #106

Boat: Amel 50
Re: The new Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Der Beek View Post
@ boom23
Congratulations on your new sailboat, must be great fun to be involved from the start.
Thank you! It is an exciting and scary time...
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 21:21   #107

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
The Amel's are around 30% B/D and, apparently, they can cross oceans... The cast iron keel is there for cost reduction. It has been proven that it works. A *perfect* boat is, usually, an expensive boat. And, what's perfect for you is not for another person. The Amel's are a perfect compromise, in my book. They pay more attention to things that are important to me (and many others apparently).

My previous boat, Lagoon 450, was perfect for me at that stage of my life.

Everything is relative...
I agree. Nothing personal intended, I'd have one in heart beat.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:38   #108

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
The Amel 54 has 15’ 8” beam, 6’ 11” draft, 191 DLR, and 29% ballast ratio.
Many high lattitude aluminum boats have ballast ratio in the low 30's and lifting keels.

I would think they are blue water capable.

I am not starting a debate... I am just pointing out few more things.
Yes, the Amel 54 has 29.1% B/D. The new model the 55 has 27.1% B/D with a keel with more 10cm draft.

I am not interested in a debate but your information regarding aluminium centerboarders does not take into account their different stability characteristics.

I don't know what you mean with low 30's. With a 30% B/D they would not pass the new RCD mandatory minimum requirements. Now they need about 32% BD (for a 45ft boat, smaller boats need more), however before the recent demands for more stability was in fact possible to aprove a 45ft centerboarder with about 31%. That regards a limit boat on RCD stability requirements.

But centerboarders are seaworthy not due to their static stability but do to their great dynamic stability: When they are hit by a wave they don't trip on the keel as will do a boat with a keel with a large surface, but glide laterally, dissipating the wave energy that way, instead of on a rotating movement.

Regarding aluminium centerboarders with about 45/50ft, the Allures 51 has a 36.7% B/D and the new OVNI 45 has 32.4% B/D but these boats, as I said, have different dynamic stability characteristics if compared with a fixed keel monohull.

But if you understood by my words that the Amel 50 was not seaworthy in what regards stability characteristics you have misunderstood me. What I said it that you can find similar stability characteristics (in what regards safety stability) on Bavarias, Hanses or Jeanneaus and by any means I pretended to say that those boats are dangerous or not suited for sailing offshore.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 20:52   #109

Boat: a sailing boat

Surprisingly, NOT A SINGLE ONE in le Marin this year.

Have these been cancelled out?

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 02:53   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Surprisingly, NOT A SINGLE ONE in le Marin this year.

Have these been cancelled out?

barnakiel
On the contrary... Amel is busy building them as fast as they can.
Old 09-10-2018, 19:40   #111

Hello all. New member here - first post. And firstly, congrats to boom23 (Theo?) on your order. Nice one. You have a lot to be happy about, as well as lots of decisions to make about fit-out and set-up. Great times. ☺

This thread caught my attention given that I test sailed the Amel 50 and Hallberg Rassy 44 (amongst others) earlier this year. They both made strong and mostly positive impressions - discussed below. I’m new to sailing but recently completed a challenging three week blue-water passage and coastal exploration voyage. Very useful, as was the intensive study I made of the yachts before my yard visits. For Polux and others who feel inclined, I’ll say that I am interested in a debate, on the stability and safety aspects of the yachts being discussed here. ☺ The Amel reps noticed my level of curiosity and offered to put me in touch with Olivier Racoupeau, when the time is right. I’ll follow up with German Frers too, re what I noticed with the HR 44.

I test sailed the Hallberg Rassy 44 first, in light to moderate winds. Two immediate and strong impressions were that it was fast and agile, along with being quick to take a lean, then staying put at that waterline length enhancing angle. It sailed beautifully and effortlessly. The steering feel was light, positive and direct, with no prop vibration of course, given the twin rudders. The helming position was relatively exposed (the sprayhood was down) but provided great visibility, which I knew I would like. Whilst on the lean I went below and simulated staying upright in rough seas, swinging my hands from one hold to the next, like a monkey in the jungle. It felt secure. I didn’t bump my head, which I’m learning is a good indicator of safety and habitability. I wouldn’t be a frontrunner for winning the best bruise competition in this boat.

It was when I sailed the Amel 50 that the HR 44’s way of leaning sunk in. With the Amel test the winds were also light to moderate, but less consistent and generally lighter overall. Nevertheless, this big boat moved, but with a noticeably more imperious tone than the 44. It certainly didn’t accelerate like the 44. But let me roll back and cover my first strong impression with this wonderful yacht. As I stepped into the cockpit and then climbed down into the saloon I noticed that the generator was running. It was very quiet for a good-sized unit and sounded distant, from being tucked away in the properly isolated engine room. I was enjoying the wonderful sense of space and contemporary design of the interior when I saw through a saloon window that we were pulling away from the dock. Huh? It turns out that the background purring noise was from the generator and the main engine, which was not much louder at 1200 revs than it had been while idling. I asked that it be brought up to 1500 rpm so I could rove around and make sound pressure level measurements. Obviously it was noisiest in the galley and at the foot of the berth in the aft cabin, though not bothersome. Yes, the engine could still be heard from up in the front cabin but my measurements showed it was way quieter than I thought possible. Then I closed the watertight door. The soothing noise of water sloshing past the hull was louder than that last bit of engine noise. It was officially quieter than in my office and I’ve never had any problem with dozing off in there. Hmmm, maybe the aft cabin will be the one for visitors?

The other strong impression from the Amel 50 was that it really didn’t lean much. Sure, the wind did push on the sails and the deck did tilt, but way less than I thought it would, given 6 knots at 90-ish degrees TWA. The boat was doing 5-ish knots through the water with that, which the sales folk and I thought was worth a photo or two.

This was impressive for its size and weight, even if it did feel like hitching a ride on a passing planet, with no atmosphere. I say that because the wrap-around cockpit windscreen-dodger setup worked so well in deflecting the weather that it was like being in a theatre, watching a movie of someone else’s sailing adventure. My thoughts on shelter vs contact with the elements are still in the early stages of development, so this was a useful contrast with the HR 44. Some of the expedition experienced sailors I met during my visits (some who are now salesmen) talked about the value of this kind of shelter. Question is, will I take onboard other peoples’ experience and wisdom, or I will I be like my teenagers and look like I’m listening, then get a soft-top because it’s sure to be more fun! And looks better, IMO.

To summarise my thoughts on the Amel 50, I went to the visit with only one concern; that helming it would feel like driving a bus. And it was. I came away from the visit with three concerns, along with a sense of determination to find a way to ignore them, so impressive is the boat overall. A highlight worth mentioning is the space and arrangements in the cockpit, where occupants can choose to sit, lounge, lie or sleep, with whatever level of relationship with the sun and wind they like. The cockpit tent takes this to the next level. I tried every position and I’m looking forward to doing so again, but with my wife next time, during a follow up visit. The real visit, the sales men and women know.

My three concerns are the already mentioned sense of detachment at the helm position, exacerbated by the wrap-around, tinted, Perspex window and the inevitable distortion that comes with it. Will it get hazy from scratches and wear over time? I won’t like that. I can rationalise the bus-like nature of the driving experience by looking forward to letting my new best friend, Auto Pilot, do the steering, all the way across the ocean. ☺

Then, there’s the lack of handholds down below, which, relative to the spaces that need to be crossed, is a bit of a problem. Unlike in a spaceship, gravity and momentum will be an issue in bumpy seas. Will my wife or I be launched from the middle of the saloon and be thrown down the steps into the galley?

My third concern is, how can this design be as stable in difficult conditions as the other yachts I’m looking at, which either have far more convincing B/D ratios, or the same, but no fin keel? I’m not too fussed that it’s iron rather than lead in the bulb, but it doesn’t weigh as much and it’s not as low down as, for example, with the HR 44. And yet, this design will have been approved against the relevant rules and insurance requirements. So what’s going on here? The sales folk and I did inspect the bottom of a 50 in the yard before we went sailing and I remarked on how flat it was. I did try to raise a discussion about form stability once the effect became apparent out sailing, but snacks, lunch and the drinks service kept getting in the way. Very nice people, there at Amel.

One last comment on engine noise - the Hallberg Rassy 44 was also quiet. They’re very proud of what they’ve achieved and rightly so. Like with the Amel, it was a little louder in the aft cabin than in the saloon. The HR has its engine room door in the aft cabin. An interesting observation was that the engine noise of the Garcia Exploration 45 was also very quiet. Its floor panels are a twin ply with a foam core sandwich and they work as well in moderating noise as they would with keeping out the cold. I asked the owner to set revs at 1400 and it was uncanny how the boat worked like a ventriloquist to throw the diesel’s rattle down to the rear of the hull. ‘I know it’s there,’ I said, pointing at the saloon floor, ‘but it sounds like it’s all the way down there.’ It was louder in the technical space of course. Very interesting.

Please, tell me what you think. I’ll happily get into any other aspects I can remember.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0329.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	178751  
Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 20:15   #112

Alden,

As an owner of an older Amel (53 foot Super Maramu) who has not seen an Amel 50 yet, there is one part of the puzzle I can comment on, with experience.

The protected helm position has been a feature of Amel yachts for decades. It is truly a delight for the passage making boat. I can't remember the last time we wore weather gear">foul weather gear while underway.

My last boat had a standard helm position. After sailing the Amel, putting the wheel out in the elements seems like such a dumb idea. If we want to go out in the weather, we can, and do, but we never HAVE to.

On the old boat I have made rough crossings where you had to be awoken for your watch 20 minutes early so you could get your foulies and boots on before you went on deck. That can be fun... for a while. The older I get the less fun it is.

Coming up on deck for my watch in a teeshirt with warm coffee in hand when green water is breaking across the bow, and rain is pouring down... that is priceless.

Our boat is a bit different than the 50. The "roof" over the helm station is a folding canvas dodger. I mean REALLY folding. In 30 seconds it collapses away, even faster to put back up. We drop it routinely for docking and close quarters maneuvering for better visibility and communication with the deck crew. On clear night passages we fold it down to enjoy the sky. If weather goes bad, or the sun blazes, up it goes and we are back to warm and cozy. It is truly the best of both worlds.

For someone who daysails in mostly good weather, an exposed helm is not a problem, and is even an asset. Now that my sailing is mostly ocean passaging, I don't want to be forced out in the weather.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:55   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden View Post
Hello all. New member here - first post. And firstly, congrats to boom23 (Theo?) on your order. Nice one. You have a lot to be happy about, as well as lots of decisions to make about fit-out and set-up. Great times. ☺

This thread caught my attention given that I test sailed the Amel 50 and Hallberg Rassy 44 (amongst others) earlier this year. They both made strong and mostly positive impressions - discussed below. I’m new to sailing but recently completed a challenging three week blue-water passage and coastal exploration voyage. Very useful, as was the intensive study I made of the yachts before my yard visits. For Polux and others who feel inclined, I’ll say that I am interested in a debate, on the stability and safety aspects of the yachts being discussed here. ☺ The Amel reps noticed my level of curiosity and offered to put me in touch with Olivier Racoupeau, when the time is right. I’ll follow up with German Frers too, re what I noticed with the HR 44.

I test sailed the Hallberg Rassy 44 first, in light to moderate winds. Two immediate and strong impressions were that it was fast and agile, along with being quick to take a lean, then staying put at that waterline length enhancing angle. It sailed beautifully and effortlessly. The steering feel was light, positive and direct, with no prop vibration of course, given the twin rudders. The helming position was relatively exposed (the sprayhood was down) but provided great visibility, which I knew I would like. Whilst on the lean I went below and simulated staying upright in rough seas, swinging my hands from one hold to the next, like a monkey in the jungle. It felt secure. I didn’t bump my head, which I’m learning is a good indicator of safety and habitability. I wouldn’t be a frontrunner for winning the best bruise competition in this boat.

It was when I sailed the Amel 50 that the HR 44’s way of leaning sunk in. With the Amel test the winds were also light to moderate, but less consistent and generally lighter overall. Nevertheless, this big boat moved, but with a noticeably more imperious tone than the 44. It certainly didn’t accelerate like the 44. But let me roll back and cover my first strong impression with this wonderful yacht. As I stepped into the cockpit and then climbed down into the saloon I noticed that the generator was running. It was very quiet for a good-sized unit and sounded distant, from being tucked away in the properly isolated engine room. I was enjoying the wonderful sense of space and contemporary design of the interior when I saw through a saloon window that we were pulling away from the dock. Huh? It turns out that the background purring noise was from the generator and the main engine, which was not much louder at 1200 revs than it had been while idling. I asked that it be brought up to 1500 rpm so I could rove around and make sound pressure level measurements. Obviously it was noisiest in the galley and at the foot of the berth in the aft cabin, though not bothersome. Yes, the engine could still be heard from up in the front cabin but my measurements showed it was way quieter than I thought possible. Then I closed the watertight door. The soothing noise of water sloshing past the hull was louder than that last bit of engine noise. It was officially quieter than in my office and I’ve never had any problem with dozing off in there. Hmmm, maybe the aft cabin will be the one for visitors?

The other strong impression from the Amel 50 was that it really didn’t lean much. Sure, the wind did push on the sails and the deck did tilt, but way less than I thought it would, given 6 knots at 90-ish degrees TWA. The boat was doing 5-ish knots through the water with that, which the sales folk and I thought was worth a photo or two.

This was impressive for its size and weight, even if it did feel like hitching a ride on a passing planet, with no atmosphere. I say that because the wrap-around cockpit windscreen-dodger setup worked so well in deflecting the weather that it was like being in a theatre, watching a movie of someone else’s sailing adventure. My thoughts on shelter vs contact with the elements are still in the early stages of development, so this was a useful contrast with the HR 44. Some of the expedition experienced sailors I met during my visits (some who are now salesmen) talked about the value of this kind of shelter. Question is, will I take onboard other peoples’ experience and wisdom, or I will I be like my teenagers and look like I’m listening, then get a soft-top because it’s sure to be more fun! And looks better, IMO.

To summarise my thoughts on the Amel 50, I went to the visit with only one concern; that helming it would feel like driving a bus. And it was. I came away from the visit with three concerns, along with a sense of determination to find a way to ignore them, so impressive is the boat overall. A highlight worth mentioning is the space and arrangements in the cockpit, where occupants can choose to sit, lounge, lie or sleep, with whatever level of relationship with the sun and wind they like. The cockpit tent takes this to the next level. I tried every position and I’m looking forward to doing so again, but with my wife next time, during a follow up visit. The real visit, the sales men and women know.

My three concerns are the already mentioned sense of detachment at the helm position, exacerbated by the wrap-around, tinted, Perspex window and the inevitable distortion that comes with it. Will it get hazy from scratches and wear over time? I won’t like that. I can rationalise the bus-like nature of the driving experience by looking forward to letting my new best friend, Auto Pilot, do the steering, all the way across the ocean. ☺

Then, there’s the lack of handholds down below, which, relative to the spaces that need to be crossed, is a bit of a problem. Unlike in a spaceship, gravity and momentum will be an issue in bumpy seas. Will my wife or I be launched from the middle of the saloon and be thrown down the steps into the galley?

My third concern is, how can this design be as stable in difficult conditions as the other yachts I’m looking at, which either have far more convincing B/D ratios, or the same, but no fin keel? I’m not too fussed that it’s iron rather than lead in the bulb, but it doesn’t weigh as much and it’s not as low down as, for example, with the HR 44. And yet, this design will have been approved against the relevant rules and insurance requirements. So what’s going on here? The sales folk and I did inspect the bottom of a 50 in the yard before we went sailing and I remarked on how flat it was. I did try to raise a discussion about form stability once the effect became apparent out sailing, but snacks, lunch and the drinks service kept getting in the way. Very nice people, there at Amel.

One last comment on engine noise - the Hallberg Rassy 44 was also quiet. They’re very proud of what they’ve achieved and rightly so. Like with the Amel, it was a little louder in the aft cabin than in the saloon. The HR has its engine room door in the aft cabin. An interesting observation was that the engine noise of the Garcia Exploration 45 was also very quiet. Its floor panels are a twin ply with a foam core sandwich and they work as well in moderating noise as they would with keeping out the cold. I asked the owner to set revs at 1400 and it was uncanny how the boat worked like a ventriloquist to throw the diesel’s rattle down to the rear of the hull. ‘I know it’s there,’ I said, pointing at the saloon floor, ‘but it sounds like it’s all the way down there.’ It was louder in the technical space of course. Very interesting.

Please, tell me what you think. I’ll happily get into any other aspects I can remember.
Alden,

Thank you for the review. I spent 3 full seasons in the S. Pacific with my wife on my now sold Lagoon 450. I usually sail during the sailing season and leave the boat and return home when it's over.

I realized that certain boat features were important to me. These are (and I may have forgotten some):
- Safety
- Enclosed center cockpit
- Ease of maintenance
- No exterior teak or wood of any kind
- Ease of handling (even single-handing) in bad weather
- Comfortable interior with lots of light
- 3 staterooms and 2 heads
- Large lazarette
- High build quality

I've looked at many high end brands (monohull and catamarans) and visited their factories. The Amel company came on top for me.

Regarding the enclosed cockpit, you'll thank yourself that you have it when you're in nasty weather. I wouldn't want my wife to be exposed to rain, high wind and waves. After my first season on the L450, I had the flybridge covered and enclosed. During bad weather, that's where I was and I wanted to be somewhat comfortable and safe.

The Amel steering feeling did not bother me. No boat is perfect and this was a non issue to me. It's a cruising boat not a racing one.

Regarding stability, you'll get many internet "experts" to give you their opinion. How many boats have they designed and built? I've spent countless meetings with Amel and 3 meetings with Olivier Racoupeau (great guy) and he put my mind at ease. He's an incredible designer who has designed almost any kind of boat and he's super busy. Stability is a complex issue and you can't get a sense from just one ratio. At the end, I trust Olivier and Amel on their decisions. Both are very reputable companies and know way more than I do on this issue. Amel is a very demanding company and they don't compromise much. Ask any of Amel's suppliers, or Olivier. They (Amel) also think long and hard before they introduce a new model as they don't change models often.

By the way, Olivier designed the Garcia yachts, to name another mass produced go anywhere boat line.

After you spend some time cruising, you'll fall in love with the Amel engine room. Everything in one walk-in room! You can get to anything without having to pull half the boat apart What an incredible idea.

The Amel masts are a piece of art. They have been proven for many years and Amel keeps improving them.

Finally, the Amel 50, as any other Amel, is built like a tank. You'll hardly hear a squeek when walking around or sailing.

HR's are great boats also, maybe better in some aspects. They just did not meet all my requirements.

Good luck on your quest. I'm scheduled to take delivery of my Amel 50 in May 2019. I can't wait! I'm happy with my choice.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:37   #114

Bill, Boom, great replies and really helpful to me. I'll be reading them again with my wife. Thank you.

Boom, in light of your meetings with Olivier, I'd thoroughly enjoy reading what you found to be most useful from him. PM would be fine if desired. But I understand if you don't feel the need. I really do. I'm not concerned about the stability or safety of the design, I simply want to understand it, so I can appreciate how it works. I did have discussions of this kind with Garcia's project manager and NA - very illuminating.

Regards.
Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:22   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden View Post
Bill, Boom, great replies and really helpful to me. I'll be reading them again with my wife. Thank you.

Boom, in light of your meetings with Olivier, I'd thoroughly enjoy reading what you found to be most useful from him. PM would be fine if desired. But I understand if you don't feel the need. I really do. I'm not concerned about the stability or safety of the design, I simply want to understand it, so I can appreciate how it works. I did have discussions of this kind with Garcia's project manager and NA - very illuminating.

Regards.
Just sent you a PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:47   #116

Location: Currently in NC waiting for March 2020 delivery of AMEL 50
Boat: AMEL Sloop 50’

I’d like to pose 2 questions to Boom23 and BillKnny:
Boom:
We have been enjoying your detailed posts about the Amel 50 and are scheduled to visit their factory and sail one this coming October 19th. We are an experienced cruising couple and absolutely agree with the boat features that you highlighted in your recent post, especially:
- Safety
- Ease of maintenance
Question is: do you have any concern or have discussed with them the faux teak deck being hot and holding up in the tropics. Our boat is currently in Guatemala and we have seen several Amel Super Maramus’ decks replaced with non-skid gel coat.

Bill:
We second your opinion about the enclosed cockpit. So wonderful to be out of the weather for bad weather, long passages, and misty nights. One can always purchase a remote for the auto pilot and sit anywhere they want on the sailboat in good weather. Our question to you is: In your experience with Amel’s “almost everything” in the engine room, is there any concern with heat-soaking sensitive electronics, like battery chargers, voltage regulators, or other heat sensitive devices, pumps, water maker membranes, etc? The engine room typically gets quite hot after motoring for 6, 8, 24 or even 60 continuous hours. How is the heat dispersed?

Thanks!
Cindy & Matt
sailcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:17   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcindy View Post
Boom:
We have been enjoying your detailed posts about the Amel 50 and are scheduled to visit their factory and sail one this coming October 19th. We are an experienced cruising couple and absolutely agree with the boat features that you highlighted in your recent post, especially:
- Safety
- Ease of maintenance
Question is: do you have any concern or have discussed with them the faux teak deck being hot and holding up in the tropics. Our boat is currently in Guatemala and we have seen several Amel Super Maramus’ decks replaced with non-skid gel coat.

Bill:
We second your opinion about the enclosed cockpit. So wonderful to be out of the weather for bad weather, long passages, and misty nights. One can always purchase a remote for the auto pilot and sit anywhere they want on the sailboat in good weather. Our question to you is: In your experience with Amel’s “almost everything” in the engine room, is there any concern with heat-soaking sensitive electronics, like battery chargers, voltage regulators, or other heat sensitive devices, pumps, water maker membranes, etc? The engine room typically gets quite hot after motoring for 6, 8, 24 or even 60 continuous hours. How is the heat dispersed?

Thanks!
Cindy & Matt
Cindy & Matt,

The decking on an Amel is hotter than a white deck, for sure. Although definitely not as hot as a "real" teak deck. In full tropical sun it does get hot enough that bare feet don't work (for me anyway!) If they are building a boat to your order, you might be able to convince them to do the striping in white instead of black, that makes a big difference.

Older Amels are getting to the point where the deck gel coat is reaching the end of its cosmetic life. Especially in the tropics, and especially if it hasn't been well cared for, after 20 (or 30) years, the color fades. Then people find an assortment of ways to refinish the deck to their preferred standard. Pretty much like any boat. And all of the alternatives are WAY cheaper than a new teak deck. I don't know anybody who refinished their deck because it was too hot. The factory deck is such a great non-skid surface it is really hard to do better with a re-finish job.

Our boat has been well cared for since it left the factory in 1996. It has completed two circumnavigations. The original deck has some color fading in a few spots, but is otherwise in excellent condition. Like any deck, keeping it waxed and keeping it sun covered whenever possible will help.

The engine room has fans (both push and pull) that operate whenever the engine or genset run. On our boat, the engine room peaks out at about 115F to 120F after extended motoring. I really don't see the Amel engine room as running hotter than any other. In fact, it is much better ventilated than most sailboat engine spaces.

When I select electrical components to install in the engine room, I always check the maximum rated operating temperature. Given a choice, I will always chose the higher rated one, and will not install anything rated to less than 130F. That should be minimum standard in any engine room install.

Amel selects components with care. Our factory installed battery chargers lasted 24 years. Most of our pumps and motors are original, with normal maintenance. I would not worry about it.

Bill
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:37   #118

Boat: a sailing boat

True said Amels are full of systems but the same applies to any other boat of this size and quality.

When the owner wants a simpler boat (fewer systems) the only choices are custom, smaller or racing boats.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:43   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcindy View Post
Boom:
- Safety
- Ease of maintenance

Bill:

Thanks!
Cindy & Matt
BillKnny replied very well to your questions. White deck will be the coolest in the tropics. Frankly, the warmer faux teak, might force me to wear shoes or flip flops because I keep hitting my toes... I think the Amel teak looks great.

Regarding, the engine room, it is very well ventilated. I've seen many older Amels with their original electronics in the engine room. Amel picks their components very carefully and they keep upgrading their boats with better equipment. By the way, the batteries, heat sensitive, are not in the engine room on the 50. They are in front of the companion way steps.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:38   #120

A couple more things... The Amel faux teak pin stripes are hand done by one person.

On my 50, I asked to replace the exterior wooden seats & steps with King Starboard, which requires no maintenance. The cockpit table should be fine with wood as it will be covered when not used or off season.