Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2010, 09:31   #226
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
OK the RM is a marvelous beauty. Look at that nav table. So is an OVRI. But, I could never afford either one of these marvels. Monkey List is for boats under 100k. 60k optimal
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 10:02   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That is AMAZINGLY cool. I think I saw one of those ashore in our marina a few months ago and totally marvelled at those super high aspect keels. What a beast! That could be the ideal South Coast cruiser!

In GRP, of course.
I prefer the steel version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lift.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	18049  
haidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 10:26   #228
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by haidan View Post
you Swain!
Old 28-07-2010, 10:29   #229

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Yeah, but the keels are totally different.

It's the ultra high performance keels that make that French boat interesting.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 10:34   #230
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
steel is good.
i like my formosa. i prefer vagabonds but the price is too high.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 10:38   #231
cruiser

I reeeeeaaaaaly want one of these:

60 Pieds Open - Vendée Globe

or one of these: Open 70
Check out the 3d tour...
Volvo Ocean Race
Old 28-07-2010, 10:53   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yeah, but the keels are totally different.

It's the ultra high performance keels that make that French boat interesting.

Oh yeah I bet that thing could sail circles around me, tight circles at that. Is that actually wood? I'm surprised that the small area those keels are mounted to can take the strain of the whole boat, if it was metal I could see it taking a good slam into something but I bet you'd lose a keel on something like that in a heavy grounding. Even on these Swain boats the keels are the weakest point Brent's had his pushed up into the boat, I know another couple that had there starboard keel torn right up into the boat, ripped right through the steel, the designs has evolved with more and more re-enforcement on the keels, and hopefully it's good now. Of course something like this only happens in a really hard grounding, that would seriously damage any boat. There's a guy building some fancy winged keels for one of these but that's about as fancy as it's gonna get.
I guess that is the main flaw of twin keeled boats that they have a weakness in the keels, no stem to tie the keels to like on a conventional hull, and spread the force of a grounding as evenly over the hull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n_a.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	18051  
Old 31-07-2010, 11:54   #233

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Quote:
The Coast Guard has rescued 11 people from a 44-foot yacht that burned off Cape Cod.
The Coast Guard says a crew from
responded to a distress call from the yacht Bronze Monkey at about 11:35 p.m. on Friday.
Petty Officer 1st Class Matthew Hussey says when they arrived on the scene the passengers and crew were all on the bow of the yacht without lifejackets, which were trapped in the burning cabin.
He says several of the passengers couldn't swim.
Hussey says the yacht became fully engulfed in flames about three minutes after everyone was pulled to. It sank in about 22-feet of water. The fire is believed to have started in the engine room. There were no injuries.
A relative of yours little monkey? Glad they are all safe.

Thomas
Old 31-07-2010, 12:02   #234

yipes. boat fire--scary.
Old 31-07-2010, 12:22   #235
cruiser

holy mackeral! I wonder how that happened?

No relatives of mine. I would never call my boat Bronze anything. It's like disaster bait for Neptune.
Old 07-08-2010, 21:34   #236

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Hey SM,
What boats have you been aboard and poked around? Just curious about how your search has been going.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:28   #237
cruiser

I sorta stopped going out recently because I didn't see anything worthwhile. Market here is slow over the summer, and I was just evaluating models as I save $.

Recently:

Westsail 32
Tayana 37
Morgan 382
Islander 36
Tartan 37
Nor'Sea 27
Aires 32

Due to day gig issues, I might be buying sooner and something less than optimal and smaller. A lot has to do with budget. One real deciding factor for me now in looking is I absolutely want a sit down nav station. I may have to be flexible here due to budget, but its highly desirable, and I dont want to spend time rigging up something.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:08   #238

What is the economic climate like down there in the boat world, I sorta figured that there would be still a lot of people trimming the fat and selling their boats?
Old 08-08-2010, 13:31   #239

is easy to find if you donot look in yacht brokerages, except for pictures of what might be nice--many items i have seen have been awesome deals--westsail32 for 7000 in ft myers, my formosa 41 was 10k dollars..there are many goood deals, as well.just have to walk docks with money in hand and keep looking.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:07   #240

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Is that actually wood? I'm surprised that the small area those keels are mounted to can take the strain of the whole boat, if it was metal I could see it taking a good slam into something but I bet you'd lose a keel on something like that in a heavy grounding. Even on these Swain boats the keels are the weakest point Brent's had his pushed up into the boat, I know another couple that had there starboard keel torn right up into the boat, ripped right through the steel, the designs has evolved with more and more re-enforcement on the keels, and hopefully it's good now. Of course something like this only happens in a really hard grounding, that would seriously damage any boat. There's a guy building some fancy winged keels for one of these but that's about as fancy as it's gonna get.
I guess that is the main flaw of twin keeled boats that they have a weakness in the keels, no stem to tie the keels to like on a conventional hull, and spread the force of a grounding as evenly over the hull.
Haidan, the RMs have a galvanised steel ladder chassis inside them which holds the keels to the wooden hull. Yes they are plywood but you would be pushed to tell standing next to one if you didn't know. Mine are through bolted into the hull which is reinforced with GRP stringers. The hull is 20mm thick between the keels, I know I had to drill it to fit new Raymarine instruments.

Back to the thread, Salt Monkey, Zeehag could be right. I got fed up trying to buy spares on e bay and competing against everyone else in the UK and the United States of Europe for that matter and have gone back to the local free add magazines. So items are local and and a bit more work to find rather than just using google so less competition.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote