Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-03-2015, 12:49   #1

The Last Vessel??

Can anyone provide some pros and cons to any of the following vessels for live-aboard/ocean-going use?

Little Harbor 50
Valiant 50
Cherubini 48 Schooner

Actual experience with any of these would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 01-03-2015, 14:40   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: The Last Vessel??

Well, Dan.
"Liveaboard" usually means a floating condominium.
Ocean going usually means a very different hard working boat.

There's a reason Ferrari doesn't compete with LandRover.

So, which one did you want?

Old 01-03-2015, 14:48   #3

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantorch View Post
Can anyone provide some pros and cons to any of the following vessels for live-aboard/ocean-going use?

Little Harbor 50
Valiant 50
Cherubini 48 Schooner

Actual experience with any of these would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

I vote V-50. Talk to Bernie about these.

RogueWave - Valiant Sailing Yachts
Old 01-03-2015, 18:49   #4

You're right Hellosailor, but I thought it was implicit that "blue water" characteristics took precedence over "pure" comforts when contemplating an ocean going vessel. Am looking for something with a little more than the work horse traits of a Block Island or Bristol Channel Cutter for example - vessels I would otherwise find very attractive.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 02-03-2015, 06:13   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:26   #6

Boat: Tartan 4100

Dan,
You're looking at all worthy, beautiful boats and to a degree, they all differ with their design philosophy. If you simply look at maintenance, the Cherubini will keep you quite busy with brightwork but she's a thing of beauty. The Valiant will have the least above deck maintenance with the Little Harbor in the middle. Sailing abilities, they should all have a good turn of speed with the Valiant probably the slower, but should handle rough seas quite nicely. The Cherubini is much more narrow in the beam so, the livability may not be quite as roomy and will feel more tender. If it were up to me, I would go for the Little Harbor. I have always loved the lines and to me, it balances the aesthetics with a livable, seaworthy vessel that you would proud to own. She's got great tankage (330gal water/175gal fuel). decent D/L ratio, SA ratio etc...don't be afraid of the centerboard!

That would be my two cents..........
Tom

P.S.
Don't say "Last Vessel"...........one never knows!
Old 06-03-2015, 04:18   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
I vote V-50. Talk to Bernie about these.

RogueWave - Valiant Sailing Yachts
First, I'd talk to anybody BUT Bernie. I talked to Bernie once and traveled to see a boat he had listed and it wasn't anything close to what was depicted in his listing. He was out of town so had another broker from the office beside his show me the boat and you could tell he was pretty embarrassed when I pointed out things on the listing that were exaggerated, inaccurate, or were missing entirely. Also, talking to Bernie will make your ears hurt, archetypical used car salesman syndrome. There's lots of other people who know just as much about sailboats and who take more care to be accurate in what they say.

As for the the boats, I'd rank them in order: Little Harbor, Cherubini, Valiant.

The Valiant is a great, seaworthy boat but I dislike double enders because you lose storage room aft and you can't board from the stern.

I love the looks of the Cherubini but also like the more roominess and longer waterline of the Little Harbor better.

Can't go wrong with any of the 3 though, good luck!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:24   #8

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
First, I'd talk to anybody BUT Bernie. I talked to Bernie once and traveled to see a boat he had listed and it wasn't anything close to what was depicted in his listing. He was out of town so had another broker from the office beside his show me the boat and you could tell he was pretty embarrassed when I pointed out things on the listing that were exaggerated, inaccurate, or were missing entirely. Also, talking to Bernie will make your ears hurt, archetypical used car salesman syndrome. There's lots of other people who know just as much about sailboats and who take more care to be accurate in what they say.

As for the the boats, I'd rank them in order: Little Harbor, Cherubini, Valiant.

The Valiant is a great, seaworthy boat but I dislike double enders because you lose storage room aft and you can't board from the stern.

I love the looks of the Cherubini but also like the more roominess and longer waterline of the Little Harbor better.

Can't go wrong with any of the 3 though, good luck!
For us Bernie was a terrific find. You are old enough to make your own impressions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: