Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 12:49   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
The Last Vessel??

Can anyone provide some pros and cons to any of the following vessels for live-aboard/ocean-going use?

Little Harbor 50
Valiant 50
Cherubini 48 Schooner

Actual experience with any of these would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
__________________

__________________
Dantorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 14:40   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,056
Re: The Last Vessel??

Well, Dan.
"Liveaboard" usually means a floating condominium.
Ocean going usually means a very different hard working boat.


There's a reason Ferrari doesn't compete with LandRover.


So, which one did you want?
__________________

__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 14:48   #3
Registered User
 
Ericson38's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter
Posts: 187
Re: The Last Vessel??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantorch View Post
Can anyone provide some pros and cons to any of the following vessels for live-aboard/ocean-going use?

Little Harbor 50
Valiant 50
Cherubini 48 Schooner

Actual experience with any of these would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

I vote V-50. Talk to Bernie about these.

RogueWave - Valiant Sailing Yachts
__________________
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 18:49   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
Re: The Last Vessel??

You're right Hellosailor, but I thought it was implicit that "blue water" characteristics took precedence over "pure" comforts when contemplating an ocean going vessel. Am looking for something with a little more than the work horse traits of a Block Island or Bristol Channel Cutter for example - vessels I would otherwise find very attractive.

Thanks,

Dan
__________________
Dantorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:13   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,596
Images: 240
Re: The Last Vessel??

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dan.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:26   #6
Registered User
 
Tortuga's Lie's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Tartan 4100
Posts: 384
Re: The Last Vessel??

Dan,
You're looking at all worthy, beautiful boats and to a degree, they all differ with their design philosophy. If you simply look at maintenance, the Cherubini will keep you quite busy with brightwork but she's a thing of beauty. The Valiant will have the least above deck maintenance with the Little Harbor in the middle. Sailing abilities, they should all have a good turn of speed with the Valiant probably the slower, but should handle rough seas quite nicely. The Cherubini is much more narrow in the beam so, the livability may not be quite as roomy and will feel more tender. If it were up to me, I would go for the Little Harbor. I have always loved the lines and to me, it balances the aesthetics with a livable, seaworthy vessel that you would proud to own. She's got great tankage (330gal water/175gal fuel). decent D/L ratio, SA ratio etc...don't be afraid of the centerboard!

That would be my two cents..........
Tom

P.S.
Don't say "Last Vessel"...........one never knows!
__________________
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:18   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Penobscot Bay, Maine
Boat: Tayana 47
Posts: 995
Re: The Last Vessel??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
I vote V-50. Talk to Bernie about these.

RogueWave - Valiant Sailing Yachts
First, I'd talk to anybody BUT Bernie. I talked to Bernie once and traveled to see a boat he had listed and it wasn't anything close to what was depicted in his listing. He was out of town so had another broker from the office beside his show me the boat and you could tell he was pretty embarrassed when I pointed out things on the listing that were exaggerated, inaccurate, or were missing entirely. Also, talking to Bernie will make your ears hurt, archetypical used car salesman syndrome. There's lots of other people who know just as much about sailboats and who take more care to be accurate in what they say.

As for the the boats, I'd rank them in order: Little Harbor, Cherubini, Valiant.

The Valiant is a great, seaworthy boat but I dislike double enders because you lose storage room aft and you can't board from the stern.

I love the looks of the Cherubini but also like the more roominess and longer waterline of the Little Harbor better.

Can't go wrong with any of the 3 though, good luck!
__________________
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:24   #8
Registered User
 
Ericson38's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter
Posts: 187
Re: The Last Vessel??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
First, I'd talk to anybody BUT Bernie. I talked to Bernie once and traveled to see a boat he had listed and it wasn't anything close to what was depicted in his listing. He was out of town so had another broker from the office beside his show me the boat and you could tell he was pretty embarrassed when I pointed out things on the listing that were exaggerated, inaccurate, or were missing entirely. Also, talking to Bernie will make your ears hurt, archetypical used car salesman syndrome. There's lots of other people who know just as much about sailboats and who take more care to be accurate in what they say.

As for the the boats, I'd rank them in order: Little Harbor, Cherubini, Valiant.

The Valiant is a great, seaworthy boat but I dislike double enders because you lose storage room aft and you can't board from the stern.

I love the looks of the Cherubini but also like the more roominess and longer waterline of the Little Harbor better.

Can't go wrong with any of the 3 though, good luck!
For us Bernie was a terrific find. You are old enough to make your own impressions.
__________________

__________________
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual Vessel Views -vs- Single Vessel View on Dual Cummings MV WOLFPACK Marine Electronics 0 12-04-2014 07:45
At Last . . . at Long, Long Last . . . ChrisClipper Meets & Greets 16 21-09-2012 07:18
Vessel on a Vessel rj_whitten Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 7 27-03-2011 09:10
How long does a pickeling last? irwinsailor Provisioning: Food & Drink 5 18-08-2006 19:43
Active threads last 24 hours Gisle Forum News & Announcements 0 26-05-2003 13:11



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.