Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 13:40   #16

Boat: Trident Challenger- 35 feet
Re: The ideal bluewater cruiser on a budget

Your thinking's moving in the right direction and good advice is still flowing your way:

"brand/manufacturer matters less and less...and the maintenance and upkeep over the years weighs much more"
"Get a boat that will fit you and your mate and sea (sic) how you take to blue water."
"Don't get lost in a refit upfront. Go sail first.
Don't forget the boat is just the means..."

And most importantly "Have fun in the process!"

Nor get put off by:
...$70k bluewater boat plus $55,000 in bits and pieces...these boats cost a lot more than you would think...and a great deal of elbow grease.

You will certainly have to put in that elbow grease, but the $// cost is within reason up to you and dictated by the size/degree of luxury that you require. We bought a 30 year old, off-brand, but well maintained/updated and blue-water by design, 35' boat in 2011 for $35000; having added some elbow grease and another $5k, we dropped the docklines and set sail from Greece just six months later. The boat suits us, we've hosted visitors and so far made it as far as the Pacific; along the way we've enjoyed the company of many other cruisers doing the same as us, but having spent even less (in some cases significantly so) on the boat that they're doing it in.

Of course you need some money, but your purchase-budget is sufficient, a bit of skill & ability, preferably tied to experience comes in handy too, but the thing that you need most is the will to do it - and that, like the wind is free.

Old 09-10-2019, 16:31   #17

Boat: Elan 410

Keep in mind:
MUCH better to have a boat that is too small (within reason oc), than one that is too big (the upkeep & maintenance of which you cannot afford)!
$5000 to get a coastal cruiser rtw-ready? Then we must be talking about very different “rtw-readiness“

Old 10-10-2019, 02:07   #18

Again, thanks everyone for the great advice. As all this wisdom comes in my thinking is definitely evolving. A special thanks @bobnlesley for the encouragement.

So thanks to everyone's advice we're thinking a smaller boat than originally anticipated is definitely the way to go. Ideally somewhere between 35 to 40 feet based on a purchase budget of between $55k-60K US. Driving this decision are the ongoing running costs, maintenance and the theory that less time and money will need to go into getting her ready to sail the Caribbean for a year from the outset. I have absolutely no problem putting a bit of elbow grease into her, sadly though I don't have a background in boat repair so I'll be looking towards some good expert advice throughout my travels (and likely popping again on CF from time to time). To this end, I'd also be open to spending a few months working along side any experienced shipwright.

Based on this new thinking, we're looking at something like this: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...gs-38-3593187/

How does this sound? Am I getting any further from delusional toward realistic?
HighTide9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:12   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oday30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTide9000 View Post
Based on this new thinking, we're looking at something like this: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...gs-38-3593187/
How does this sound...
I've lived aboard a former charter vessel and assuming it surveys out (I'd insist on the strictest surveyor you can find), they can have some advantages -- generally built to be fairly robust and maintainable (little or no external brightwork, etc.) to survive charterers of varying skills, they can be attractive -- usually won't have many doodads unless it has been privately owned since its charter days, and generally they will be warm-water boats and not something you'd venture around the southern capes -- 90% of the decision will be hull-rig condition, sail inventory and what's hiding down there in the engine-room (not much different than any other vessel).
Old 10-10-2019, 09:27   #20
Are you serious?

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Hey everyone,

The wife and I are just about ready to take the plunge and buy ourselves a live-aboard to spend a few years exploring the world.
We're looking for a reliable and comfortable sailboat between 40 and 55 feet to get us around the Caribbean anchorages and gunkholes in the first year and then satisfy our ambitions to cross the Pacific in 2021.
Our budget is limited to around 55,000 USD / 50,000 EUR. So far I've been limiting the search to anything built from 1990. There are a bunch of ready-to-sail second-hand bavs, beneteaus and jeanneaus available around this price range, I'm just not sure if one of these are the best choice based on our needs and plans... I'm eager to hear what the community recommends!

HighTide900
Hey don't limit yourself to the insults you will get for YOUR thread. Speed it up and use the search feature on the forum to enjoy similar.

But I don't really think you currently understand what you are asking for and are trying to bite off too much at once. But, I hope you make it!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:32   #21

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
. I'm eager to hear what the community recommends!
This

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_bibl_vppi_i0
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:58   #22

Anyone who read my posts during the last weeks will be guessing what i think about crossing the ocean in a cheap small plastic boat as a newbie..

Very very stupid idea!

Here Are my thoughts on bringing a man to the moon AND return him safely to the earth:

1) have Tons of boat knowledge sailing experience and time. Prepare your midsize boat yourself and Start the adventure With confidence in you and your boat

2) have Not so much knowledge and time and buy an even smaller very very seaworthy boat. Leave immedeately and have fun.

3) save for a seaworthy bigger boat and enjoy more comfort.

Dont let others discourage you! It is possible and many have done it.
But it is Not possible to Do it cheap fast and easy.... Or rely on luck..
Old 10-10-2019, 11:37   #23

Boat: 1980 Hunter 36

Have you looked at the hunter 37? The cutter rigged cherubini one from the 80s, not the newer ones.

Well built, sails well, cutter rig, often pretty cheap. A few people on here have had one. I have the (inferior if I am being honest) 36' version and its a really easy boat to handle - I sailed it down from Canada to Mexico solo after doing the inside passage
Old 10-10-2019, 17:29   #24

Have you considered taking the process more slowly?
I for example plan on doing water sailing">blue water sailing but have started with a Catalina 22 on trailer to minimize the jump in cost. I have spent the night on it and thought it was a fantastic experience and look forward to doing multiple nights next season (living too far north for year round stuff)
I will use this little boat for a few years to get better and then plan to move up to what ever I can afford as well as single-hand. Even couples have to single hand.
I am new to this and certainly not an authority but the more I read the more I throttled my self.
Lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 17:35   #25

Quote:
water sailing">blue water sailing
I don't know where this grammar error is from, it doesn't show up in edit mode.
Lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 20:42   #26

Boat: Elan 410

...pity they castrated this fast hull with a 4'10“ draft

Tags
Bluewater, budget, cruise, cruiser, water