Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2018, 09:08   #46

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: The full timeline of what went down (besides the boat) of the Polina Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Very lucky that nobody was killed. If there had been a coroner's investigation it would seem a few people would be looking at serious jail time.
You are in the only country I am aware of where people actually go to jail when keels fall off and sailors die. I'm wondering out loud if it has made Australian boats any safer.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 10:12   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Nevis-
I think it was in the early 1990's that the owner of Hunter (Warren Luhr?) had "Thursday's Child" built, for him to entire in a major race. And he promptly lost the keel off the coast of California. Well, they say any publicity is good publicity, but I suspect that's all part and parcel of why "Hunter" was a dirty word for so many years.
Then what was it, 6? years ago that Bavaria got some equally good PR about the same thing, keel problems?
Are you sure about Thursday's Child losing a keel? I remember the boat very well from breaking Flying Cloud's record from NY to SF around the Horn. Also kind of maintain awareness of Hunter's in general since the plant is about 10 miles from my house and I drive by it frequently.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 10:41   #48

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
A class action suit wouldn't be worth it if the co. went tits up. I believe to recoup from the officers or investors fraud would need to be established, good luck on that one.
True, but it was probably the compelling reason to file bankruptcy. The loss of a single boat probably wouldn't have necessitated that especially if they had insurance to cover it.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 10:47   #49

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Maybe so, but a surveyor down island found something?
Sorry, I don't understand well the question. A surveyor found that the keel was not well built when he examined the keel and the boat when the keel had already fallen apart.

A previous surveyor in America, after a Transat, found out that the keel had problems because it had moved slightly.

When the boat was new the keel just looked okay.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 10:50   #50

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
True, but it was probably the compelling reason to file bankruptcy.
Sure it sounds like money was skimmed but a long litigation may produce nothing? It's sad, since it sounds like the almighty dollar or euro sent a quality company down the tubes.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 11:23   #51

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
... It's sad, since it sounds like the almighty dollar or euro sent a quality company down the tubes.
Lots of speculation on this thread, about the skipper, the surveys, the reasons for bankruptcy, etc.

1. When a company with a great reputation is taken over by scumbags (and clearly these intelligent, knowledgable, qualified people were utter scumbags) then it is no longer a great company - it is then a rip-off company waiting to file bankruptcy when the scam is uncovered.

2. The survey in America - I'm guessing a little here, but the survey would clearly identify the keel had moved, showing remedial work was required. It would have been difficult to predict that the entire boat was structurally unsound, so returning across the South Atlantic may have seemed a reasonably prudent decision, on balance.

3. The skipper - I can find no fault with the skipper: he picked up faults with the build when it was already 80% complete, he had surveys done in Norway and America, and he tried to return the vessel to the Med, where repairs were to be undertaken (at builder's expense, but by then builder had already made the decision to pull the plug, as their scam was unravelling).

Okay so this is more idle speculation, but that seems to be the way of things while we await definitive answers after the likely court case.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 11:51   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Are you sure about Thursday's Child losing a keel? I remember the boat very well from breaking Flying Cloud's record from NY to SF around the Horn. Also kind of maintain awareness of Hunter's in general since the plant is about 10 miles from my house and I drive by it frequently.
Thursday's Child did not lose her keel. She collided with debris of some sort during the race and had to put in for repairs. That was in Argentina, IIRC and not California. And she still won the race and broke the record!
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 14:00   #53

... SuperyachtNews.com - Business - Owner of 'Polina Star III' has his say on Oyster administration

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 14:22   #54

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Sad story, but no fatalities except for the company. As mentioned earlier, I will never view an Oyster brand the same again. Reinforces my practice of buying old, used boats that have stood the test of time. A practice that is consistent with my budget too..
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 19:57   #55

Superyacht News suggests the owner's story is 'one-sided', 'extreme' - I don't think so.

Superyacht News seems far more one-eyed: quoting Oyster CEO, they say (without contradiction), "A key point to note is that the flexing of the joint between stub keel and lead bulb keel... 'is cosmetic, enjoy your yacht'.. was proved correct (because) none of the keel bolts failed..." This is BS. Any flexing of the joint between stub and lead is totally unacceptable; just because the keelbolts didn't sheer doesn't imply in any way that the movement was 'cosmetic'. These Oyster guys know they are talking total crap, yet Superyacht News posts this as a reasonable statement!? What ever happened to investigative reporting?
Old 24-02-2018, 12:39   #56

Davidson 50 apparently lost its keel off Perth yesterday - two fatalities.
waswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 12:56   #57

To put some numbers to the argument about how common these failures are:
Indeed, so concerned is the sport’s governing body, ISAF, about the incidences of keel failure that it has formed a Keel Structure Working Party to investigate the issue. Part of the group’s initial work was to develop a database of the reported failures. Currently, the list includes 72 cases since 1984, and in those 24 lives have been lost – a small number perhaps when compared with the many thousands of boats that have been built over this period, but unacceptable nonetheless.
Read more at Keel failure: the shocking facts - Yachting World
Old 24-02-2018, 13:04   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Superyacht News suggests the owner's story is 'one-sided', 'extreme' - I don't think so.

Superyacht News seems far more one-eyed: quoting Oyster CEO, they say (without contradiction), "A key point to note is that the flexing of the joint between stub keel and lead bulb keel... 'is cosmetic, enjoy your yacht'.. was proved correct (because) none of the keel bolts failed..." This is BS. Any flexing of the joint between stub and lead is totally unacceptable; just because the keelbolts didn't sheer doesn't imply in any way that the movement was 'cosmetic'. These Oyster guys know they are talking total crap, yet Superyacht News posts this as a reasonable statement!? What ever happened to investigative reporting?
Exactly my thoughts when reading the article.
Nothing in the "one-sided" story was really challenged other than the lack of apology.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 13:39   #59
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Skip-
"Are you sure about Thursday's Child losing a keel?" Not sure of the specifics but it was something-child built for the owner of Hunter. IIRC the boat was recovered and refitted. I suppose if you can go through Cruising World and Sailing World back through that time, the article was in one or the other, one of the lead magazines. He might have been doing the prep run, 1000-mile solo or something, to enter one of the solo around the globe races, if that helps.
To me the 80's are a lot like the 60's. You know, if you can remember them, you weren't there?(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 13:47   #60

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Skip-
"Are you sure about Thursday's Child losing a keel?" Not sure of the specifics but it was something-child built for the owner of Hunter. IIRC the boat was recovered and refitted. I suppose if you can go through Cruising World and Sailing World back through that time, the article was in one or the other, one of the lead magazines. He might have been doing the prep run, 1000-mile solo or something, to enter one of the solo around the globe races, if that helps.
To me the 80's are a lot like the 60's. You know, if you can remember them, you weren't there?(G)

The 60s are as clear as a bell. It' yesterday that is scary. :banghead
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat