Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2015, 12:48   #451
Registered User
 
CHAZ's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: surprise
Boat: porta bote
Posts: 103
Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Looking at the photos posted and without seeing the under water configuration those two yachts look very much like yawls to me.
I see both mizzen masts within the waterline which tells me I'm looking at ketches. And to big a mizzenmast it seems to be a yawl.

I guess it was here on CF that I heard first time about this rudder post thingy to differentiate between the two so chances are that I could be wrong

Martin
__________________

__________________


so what ?
CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 14:00   #452
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Looking at the photos posted and without seeing the under water configuration those two yachts look very much like yawls to me.
If you want to be picky they could be, but to me they look closer to ketch's. The mizzen is not back on the transom and possibly not rear of the rudder. And at least in the bottom one the mizzen is smaller than the main.
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 14:33   #453
Registered User
 
DSDman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicopee, MA
Posts: 570
Images: 16
Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint1000 View Post
I have a ketch 2 mast 103 feet long wooden built in 1921 for sale cause I can t afford to keep it due to health reasons at a good price.
I'm not sure how much one would have to pay me to take responsibility for a 103 ft long 94 year old wooden ketch....but I'm open to offers! I do love ketch rigs. I can't even imagine the amount of work that would require.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 15:45   #454
Registered User
 
sailor1924's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Boat: Pearson Countess 44
Posts: 129
Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
If you want to be picky they could be, but to me they look closer to ketch's. The mizzen is not back on the transom and possibly not rear of the rudder. And at least in the bottom one the mizzen is smaller than the main.
They are both ketches. Both have their masts forward of the rudder head, perfectly positioned to impede the view forward, I owned and sailed them both and should know. Photo below is looking forward on the Countess (top picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3682452_3_20110802072250_13_0.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	115314  
__________________
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 16:13   #455
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1924 View Post
They are both ketches. Both have their masts forward of the rudder head, perfectly positioned to impede the view forward, I owned and sailed them both and should know. Photo below is looking forward on the Countess (top picture)
It's also quite common for a ketch to have it's mizzen mast behind the helm. Having the mizzen mast in a position that obstructs the view of the helmsman is not a definitive feature of a ketch. Actually, with the use of cables, gears, hydraulics or electronics a helm position can be designed to be located anywhere on a vessel,- even off the vessel if you like!

Of course. sailor1924 is correct in stating that a ketch is defined by the position of the rudder head (rudder post) in relation to the mizzen mast.
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 04:51   #456
Marine Service Provider
 
beiland's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: St Augustine, FL, Thailand
Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Posts: 1,142
Alden's Countess ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1924 View Post
They are both ketches. Both have their masts forward of the rudder head, perfectly positioned to impede the view forward, I owned and sailed them both and should know. Photo below is looking forward on the Countess (top picture)
I always liked the Countess ketch design,...nice balance of deckhouse size and shape with relation to her hull,...and nice sheer line

Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden - Page 3 - Boat Design Forums
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Countess 44 ketch sailplan.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	115346  
__________________
Brian Eiland
distinctive exploration yachts
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 09:51   #457
Registered User
 
sailor1924's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Boat: Pearson Countess 44
Posts: 129
Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
It's also quite common for a ketch to have it's mizzen mast behind the helm. Having the mizzen mast in a position that obstructs the view of the helmsman is not a definitive feature of a ketch. Actually, with the use of cables, gears, hydraulics or electronics a helm position can be designed to be located anywhere on a vessel,- even off the vessel if you like!

Of course. sailor1924 is correct in stating that a ketch is defined by the position of the rudder head (rudder post) in relation to the mizzen mast.
I'm a bit old fashioned in that the old boat was English built in 1924 and I mostly learned my terminology from boats of that era and before. When ketches first started to appear, in America, they were described as backwards schooners and only later did they get defined by the relationship of the after mast to the rudder head. And going cross-eyed because of the mizzens position just forward of the helm was a common criticism of the rig by schoonermen.
Donald Street, in "The Ocean Sailing Yacht" espouses the superiority of the yawl because it gives the helmsman a backrest.
__________________
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:13   #458
Registered User
 
sailor1924's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Boat: Pearson Countess 44
Posts: 129
Re: Alden's Countess ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
I always liked the Countess ketch design,...nice balance of deckhouse size and shape with relation to her hull,...and nice sheer line

Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden - Page 3 - Boat Design Forums
I agree completely, I like the lines of the older boats and this one in particular. Alden always described the Countess as a full powered auxiliary sailing yacht not a motor sailer as she does not compromise sailing ability for under power performance.
__________________
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:23   #459
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1924 View Post
...........................
....................
Donald Street, in "The Ocean Sailing Yacht" espouses the superiority of the yawl because it gives the helmsman a backrest.
I have used the mizzen on my ketch as a backrest,



but it's a little far back. I only lean against it with a pillow on my aft cabin deck and the autopilot controls within reach. I've seen those ketches with the mizzen right in front of the helm, but those are usually older than my 43 year old boat! 'though often more beautiful in other design qualities
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:37   #460
Registered User
 
sailor1924's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Boat: Pearson Countess 44
Posts: 129
Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I have used the mizzen on my ketch as a backrest,



but it's a little far back. I only lean against it with a pillow on my aft cabin deck and the autopilot controls within reach. I've seen those ketches with the mizzen right in front of the helm, but those are usually older than my 43 year old boat! 'though often more beautiful in other design qualities
I love comfort sailing. I have wondered about mid ships cockpits I'm sure they afford better visibility forward then mine does. Yes you're sailing one them new fangled yachts.
__________________
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:38   #461
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Looking at the photos posted and without seeing the under water configuration those two yachts look very much like yawls to me.
placement of mast formizzen is not necesarily dependent on visualization of underwater-- ketch has mast forward of steering. yawl is abaft steering.
rudder is operative word not helm station. rudder.
hence, when ye run to opposite side from which you are sitting, on a ketch you could easily get a headache, whereas that is impossible in a yawl, unless you are trying to pee over transom.
consider a yawl a ketch with an open cockpit. no boom overhead, as it is abaft ye, when ye swill sundowners.....unfettered view.
is partially blocked in a ketch by boom to mast forward of your cocktail table.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:40   #462
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,221
Images: 2
pirate Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Looking at the photos posted and without seeing the under water configuration those two yachts look very much like yawls to me.
Ketch or Yawl has nothing at all to do with the Underwater Profile..
If the Mizzen is fore of the helm its a ketch.. aft of the helm its a Yawl..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:44   #463
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Posts: 1,854
Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ketch or Yawl has nothing at all to do with the Underwater Profile..

If the Mizzen is fore of the helm its a ketch.. aft of the helm its a Yawl..

What if the boat is a center cockpit? In that case the mizzen is aft of the helm, but if it is ahead of the rudder post isn't it still a ketch?


S/V B'Shert
__________________
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:44   #464
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,221
Images: 2
pirate Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1924 View Post
They are both ketches. Both have their masts forward of the rudder head, perfectly positioned to impede the view forward, I owned and sailed them both and should know. Photo below is looking forward on the Countess (top picture)
So is the main mast... never have understood the fuss..
Much ado about nothing
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:53   #465
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,221
Images: 2
pirate Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
What if the boat is a center cockpit? In that case the mizzen is aft of the helm, but if it is ahead of the rudder post isn't it still a ketch?


S/V B'Shert
Ahh... Centre cockpits...!!
The American invention to try and avoid getting to close to the water...
That's called a mongrel.. I should know.. I've got one..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ketch, paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.