Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2012, 14:25   #271

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandgilbert99 View Post
Not true for all boats, look at this one: Fairlie 55 - Video Diary.mov - YouTube
It used to be a guy with a cookie cutter budget could still bring home a quality item. A craftsman tool for example. Sockets made in America, with quality you could feel. Been in a Sears store lately? Find much stamped Made In America?

This video is an example of craftsman building something for the people referred to as the 1% club. 1% of the people on the planet, control the wealth of everything worth having on the planet. The rest of us 99% scratch and claw for what is left.

The middle class is steadily fading away, while the poor get poorer, and the rich get richer.

The video is amazing, and what is sad, is everything used to be made that way, in millions of factories all across the globe. Small towns had factories, big towns had thousands of factories. We made everything you can imagine, and much of what was made, was done with pride and craftsmanship.

I lived across the street from a factory. Employed hundreds of people making manhole covers. Shipped them all over the USA. Today it is a vacant lot, completely torn down. Not one stone remains on another stone.

Our infrastructure is gone, what remains is only a shadow of what we once produced. We have gone from a society of people that made things, great things, things to be proud of, to telemarketers, and burger flippers.
Old 27-09-2012, 14:40   #272
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: The death of the ketch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I don't know, but it seems to me that Ketches have several advantages, like going under brides for one.
Let's go way back to post number two! I like the concept of going under brides, but then I'm considering the thought of going under bridges too! I'm in Florida an very concerned with hurricanes. Many of my best options are available under 55' fixed bridges that would not be an opportunity for me on board a sloop of my length.
Old 28-09-2012, 06:25   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce

Let's go way back to post number two! I like the concept of going under brides, but then I'm considering the thought of going under bridges too! I'm in Florida an very concerned with hurricanes. Many of my best options are available under 55' fixed bridges that would not be an opportunity for me on board a sloop of my length.
Going back and reading all the posts in this thread is a wonderful idea. This thread is rich in information and photographs about why ketch rigged sailboats are so warmly received by those that sail them, and those that encounter them on the waters of the world.

Me personally, the only sailboat design I like better than a ketch, is a cutter ketch with a long salty bow spirit.
Attached Images

Old 28-09-2012, 06:41   #274
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Going back and reading all the posts in this thread is a wonderful idea. This thread is rich in information and photographs about why ketch rigged sailboats are so warmly received by those that sail them, and those that encounter them on the waters of the world.

Me personally, the only sailboat design I like better than a ketch, is a cutter ketch with a long salty bow spirit.
sounds like you describe a formosa/ct/harden.....mine is pending forestaysail to be rigged....and pic looks like my boat in seas...lol..good pic!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 06:55   #275

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Quote:
It used to be a guy with a cookie cutter budget could still bring home a quality item. A craftsman tool for example. Sockets made in America, with quality you could feel. Been in a Sears store lately? Find much stamped Made In America?

This video is an example of craftsman building something for the people referred to as the 1% club. 1% of the people on the planet, control the wealth of everything worth having on the planet. The rest of us 99% scratch and claw for what is left.

The middle class is steadily fading away, while the poor get poorer, and the rich get richer.

The video is amazing, and what is sad, is everything used to be made that way, in millions of factories all across the globe. Small towns had factories, big towns had thousands of factories. We made everything you can imagine, and much of what was made, was done with pride and craftsmanship.

I lived across the street from a factory. Employed hundreds of people making manhole covers. Shipped them all over the USA. Today it is a vacant lot, completely torn down. Not one stone remains on another stone.

Our infrastructure is gone, what remains is only a shadow of what we once produced. We have gone from a society of people that made things, great things, things to be proud of, to telemarketers, and burger flippers.
Same for us in Canada! Except that we sell our environment to survive.
Old 28-09-2012, 18:37   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo
Look at anything made today. Everything is made cheaper.... Quality today has been replaced by automation set to make every part fail on the 91st day of a 90 day warranty.
There is a lot of truth this generalization, but there are exceptions. E.g., a new C&P sextant is still made with care and quality materials, and arguably is superior to the C.Plaths of 20+ years ago. There are other examples, especially if one patronizes small scale custom manufacturers.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 18:51   #277

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I will stick with my ketch which costa heck of a lot less then the 55fter you guys saw above!! In fact I could buy 3 or 4 of em and still have enough money to cruise the rest of my life !!LOL ( I know thats not a lot of time but I would cruise in style ) The simple fact that the wife and I can sail a 51ft boat without anyothers aboard, because of the smaller sails and the many different ways we can sail her with the sails we have aboard!! and still have comfortable home anywhere we wish to go !! Sure I am having to do a little fix up as she has not sailed for more then 5 yrs! but the sails are new, and what Im doing has nothing to do with safety! the boat surveyed sound and all equipment works! and for under 50 grand Im in pig heaven !! Ketchs forever!! just my 2 cents
Old 28-09-2012, 19:31   #278

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

It amazes me how few Ketches are out there for sale as compared to the number of Cutters for sale in the used boat market.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 19:46   #279

Boat: Wanted 45' Hunter center cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
Today, I had a think. How many yachtbuilders build ketches any more?

There was a time, only a few decades ago, when many of the biggest yards had ketch options for their hulls. Even Jeanneau started out by building a ketch, the Gin Fizz.

Now, it's hard to think of even a handful. Shannon have a fair lineup of ketches and Gozzard (who!?) have plans for a 50'er - but they are are the only names I could find. Maybe there are a few more builders out there I haven't heard of. If so, they aren't easy to find. Neither are exactly budget yachtbuilders. The only other option is a fully custom build - $750,000, minimum. Captain Average can no longer buy a ketch. The rig is, in effect, dead.

Looking at the rows of identikit sloops and fractional sloops lining the moorings and marinas, it seems even the ever-popular cutter is on its last legs. Consider just how many rigs there are. Ketch, cutter, yawl, schooner, staysail schooner, gaff, cat, lateen, square and more besides and dozens of varieties of each. Am I alone in being a little bit sad about this? Or is the sail handling convenience of the plain old sloop worth the loss of the dozens rigs and hundreds of types of sail which have been developed over the centuries?

As William Cowper said, "Variety's the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavour." Does anyone else feel yachts have become a little bland?
You have an excellent point, there are just no new ones out there they all seem to be old ones, some of the gullets have a ketch sail design but aren't all that appealing of ships and for some reason all seem to be located in Croatia and Turkey which i find quite strange, the gullets just have too much wood for me. But you can find some nice ketches on yachtworld.com but most are older and still none that have decent size for under 200k, it really is a shame and i don't know of any company that still normally makes them and customs are outrageously priced. I would recommend yacht world if you really want to buy one. Good luck... I still don't get why all those gullets are in Turkey and Croatia though. Hope my insight is appreciated.
chucklet321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 20:05   #280

Boat: Allied Mistress , CS27, I14

Quote:

You mean like this? CT 35 cutter ketch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chao-tao-cutter-ketch-01.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	47354  
sailing_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 20:08   #281

Boat: Allied Mistress , CS27, I14

Does anyone notice that boat sizes are still creeping up?

All this talk about 55's, 64's etc. Anything larger than 40 is probably starting to push my size limits. Big boats, big problems.
sailing_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 20:25   #282

I have a Rawson 30 ketch with removable stay for 2nd headsail. I also have main and mizzen stay sails and a chute. I am still learning how to sail this boat. It keeps me humble.
My wife and I sail this boat through all kinds of conditions. The full keel tracks so well that once the sail combination is set, she steers herself. We also have a tiller pilot and wind vane. I couldn't go back to a sloop now, the intellectual challenge of this boat and the ease of handling just seduce you. Plus everywhere we go we get compliments and admiration.
The mizzen mast is really handy for radar, wind generator, cockpit lights, spare antenna, instruments and drink holders. Who knew?
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 00:38   #283

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Regardless, which boat is more attractive/interesting?

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 11:26   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce
Regardless, which boat is more attractive/interesting?
I also love the taller mast and sails on the sloop. All sailboats have something to be admired. Wonderful creations of beauty.
Old 29-09-2012, 11:36   #285

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
I also love the taller mast and sails on the sloop. All sailboats have something to be admired. Wonderful creations of beauty.
I agree completely!

Schooners are beautiful too, but I doubt that I'll ever have one.
(But, who knows? )

Tags
ketch, paracelle