Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38   #211

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Thread name is "Death Of The Ketch"

In many ancient cultures, and some religions and traditions today, death is represented by Emerson in or in some cases, Sprinkling of, Water.

Here is a video showing the"Death" of my ketch. Lol

What I was really trying for was death of the spiders.
Old 21-09-2012, 03:58   #212

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Last Saturday saw my wife and I out on the lake about 9 hours. Sunday I felt rode hard and put up wet! Think I had a little sun stroke. Unfortunate aspect of a ketch rig is the inability to put up a little shade. My sloop friends have an advantage in that department.

After a few hours, more and more sailboats ventured out onto the lake, finally counting around fifteen, plus powerboats and jet skis.

I got into a couple races, and was very pleased. One sailboat I was able to keep up with quite well was a newer Catalina 28 w/ rotating mast roller furling main. In light winds she had the advantage. I seemed to drop in a hole as she sailed away, but when the winds picked up to 10mph, my ketch caught back up and walked away from her in a most pleasing gesture. I did not at all expect that. I am sure her crew did not expect that either. She was getting the new wind and I was taking what was left, which might explain my low wind performance. I have a new appreciation for my sailboat, as a competitor for her share of the winds.

One daysailor ketch about half my length kicked my butt. That ketch flew around me like I was on a mooring ball.

Once the sails were trimmed, our ketch pretty much sailed herself all day. Our lake is small, so in 20 minutes a westerly course will about face and head back again, and that is part of the fun of sailing a small lake.

It is amazing how well everything works on a sailboat approaching 40 years old. Her only bobo is the front hatch hinges. When you open the hatch, you stow it below to keep from loosing it. On the to do list.

The ketch is dead? Not in Nebraska. Here two ketch rigs were showing the sloops there is more to life than just one mast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2539784001.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	46840   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2012063444.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	46842  

Old 21-09-2012, 04:07   #213

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Plenty of ketch rigs here, as well as some schooners.

The yawl is a rarity, however.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 10:36   #214

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Mark, that's a beautiful ketch in the above post. What kind of yacht is she?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 11:53   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Mark, that's a beautiful ketch in the above post. What kind of yacht is she?
That's the Morning Star, a 42-foot-LOD, wooden ketch built in 1968 by Robin Fung Ltd. The boat sailed to Hawaii from Vallejo, CA last weekend to Hawaii and points beyond.
Old 21-09-2012, 12:49   #216
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

I agree, ketch rigged boats are a dieing breed. I dont recall ever seeing a new one in at least 15 years or more. Ketch rigs are ocean crossing rigs and most people will never do that. The only disadvantages I see is that in very light air, the extra mast height a sloop of a similar size would offer would be the more air catching ability for speed and power and in close hauled conditions, the mizzen is not used and so the mizzen mast has some drag. This is great in controlled conditions. Now, if on a fairly large body of water like a really big lake or bay that often gets really rough and obviously blue water too, The ketch is king due to the many sail configurations and options. The most common configuration in really rough weather is sailing 'jib and jigger'. That is, running on your jib and mizzen and the main fully down. It's a lot easier and quicker to drop your main and tie it up than to reef it. If the weather is rough, your are comfortably sailing at hull speed or above and not all that much heeled.
After owning one for the last 6 years, I can't imagine ever buying another sailboat over 36' that did not have a ketch rig.
If you are seriously contemplating buying a ketch rigged boat, do your research first. Some manufacturer's designs are real slugs and the owners eventually remove the mizzen. A well designed one is a God-send.
BTW, did I mention mine is up for sale?

I forgot to mention, there are soo many advantages that someone ought to start a new thread just on the advantages and disadvantages of a ketch. Before I bought my Allied 39 Ketch, I got on several forums and asked about ketch rigs and most of the negative stuff was repeated by many forum members almost word for word. It's like they had no real knowlwdge of them and must have all read the same article and regurgitated it.
Go to marinas and look for the cruisers. A large percentage of them have ketch rigs so ask yourself "why", or even better, ask the owners.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Exterior1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	46854  
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 12:57   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Moved up to a trawler, did you.
Old 21-09-2012, 13:02   #218
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B
I agree, ketch rigged boats are a dieing breed. I dont recall ever seeing a new one in at least 15 years or more. Ketch rigs are ocean crossing rigs and most people will never do that. The only disadvantages I see is that in very light air, the extra mast height a sloop of a similar size would offer would be the more air catching ability for speed and power and in close hauled conditions, the mizzen is not used and so the mizzen mast has some drag. This is great in controlled conditions. Now, if on a fairly large body of water like a really big lake or bay that often gets really rough and obviously blue water too, The ketch is king due to the many sail configurations and options. The most common configuration in really rough weather is sailing 'jib and jigger'. That is, running on your jib and mizzen and the main fully down. It's a lot easier and quicker to drop your main and tie it up than to reef it. If the weather is rough, your are comfortably sailing at hull speed or above and not all that much heeled.
After owning one for the last 6 years, I can't imagine ever buying another sailboat over 36' that did not have a ketch rig.
If you are seriously contemplating buying a ketch rigged boat, do your research first. Some manufacturer's designs are real slugs and the owners eventually remove the mizzen. A well designed one is a God-send.
Best of luck trying to find be these days.

Jib and jigger is really making a virtue out of a necessity, the main is further forward and jib and main is more unbalanced on a ketch then a proper sloop. In heavy weather you want the drive centred around the centre of resistance ie not in the ends. A jib and jigger is not the best for that

The fact is for blue water cruising the cutter or more correctly these days a shutter rig is king for ocean sailing. Modern sail systems mean reefing is as easy or easier then furling.

I'm sorry ketches are lovely to look at, as are all multi-mast boats. The are however outclassed these days that's obvious.

Dave
Old 21-09-2012, 13:40   #219
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Moved up to a trawler, did you.
BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, went to the dark side. My wife developed some form of a degenerative lung disorder and her breathing capacity is somewhat limited. YOu know the old saying "Cruising is long periods of boredom punctuated by short periods of sheer terror". Well, it's during those critical short periods that she can't help me with anymore and so, she dont want to go sailing. The good news is, she insisted that I get a trawler/motoryacht with a crane. If need be, I can literally haul her aboard.
Seriously though, she don't want to give up cruising or the liveaboard lifestyle and so I am just as happy to start a new life as a river rat.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 13:47   #220

Boat: Allied Mistress , CS27, I14

Geez, same old arguments I have heard for years!

I have sailed sloops for a long time and they are just fine. we race in sloops.

However, as my wife and I contemplate post children semi retirement, we bought an old ketch to fix up.
It will just be the 2 of us and I don't want any sail that she cannot handle on her own at night. As for performance, who cares! we will not be in any hurry and the trip is the destination. I don't intend to race this boat.

Her requirement is a easy to handle comfortable boat that won't scare the bejesus out of her. A big comfortable heavily built CT 35 ketch is my answer to that.

As long as there are some to buy and fix up, they are not dead!
sailing_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 14:05   #221
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

jib n jigger done me well in 60 kts of wind off cabo san lucas--much better than the reefed sloop or the cutter i sailed in past history. i love mine.
did i tell you i sailed sloops from age 7 to age 60 and i still own one? nothing like the ketch in a blow.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 14:40   #222

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Some New Ketches:

Old 21-09-2012, 15:47   #223

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

its not "dead"

I love My ketch. Its way more easy to hoist a Mizzen staysail than a kite. We are 58 feet LOA. I can get 3/4 to 1.5 knots from the staysail in 5 minutes. The kite is massive and takes at least 20 minutes for the two of us to rig. This is in the "low to miderate wind zone". In high wind, we get rid of the main and run the cutter staysail instead of the 135 jib.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2292.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	46859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2321.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	46860  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 15:52   #224

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Well dog gone it Im as much of a old fogie as they come ! and Ive sailed most every type of rig thats been made !! Connie and my first(together) sail boat was a schooner !a junk rigged schooner at that ! They all sail ! But if ya want ease and ya cant afford a 500,000 up all powered fancy boat ! Looking at a ketch is one of the best places to go !! Sure it may be a little slower then the Big sloops or cutters,(maybe I said) but they, with there smaller sails make raiseing and reefing a little eaiser for a couple ! and if your lucky enough to find one with a staysail, you have even more ease! Ive found that with a reefed mizzen, and a staysail ya can sail in some pretty rough weather comfortabley!! At my age and with the amount of money I have to spend to get a bluewater boat, I have to look at ketchs, and Im glad of it !! We are now making an offer on a 51 fter ! after having had a survey we are ready to buy her !! so when ya see a big ketch out there with a couple of old goomers on it ! it my be us !! Hooray for ketchs !!
Old 21-09-2012, 15:54   #225

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

take a quick sail with me , singlehanded, off shore, mizzen down.
Woodwind,stbd tack, Northbound. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch, paracelle