Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2015, 17:39   #796

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: The criteria of "blue"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
I think zinc hot-metal spray is pretty much discredited nowadays, but folks still re-galvanize their anchors and chain for another 20-year, paint-free lifespan.

I once owned a 26ft steel ship's lifeboat that was built in two halves of maybe 1/16 rolled and welded plate, hot-dip galvanized then riveted along the keel - no doubt thousands were built this way. I never had to repaint that old lady in the three years I owned her and despite having served her 20-odd years aboard some liner then many more as a fishing boat, she had zero rust.

I doubt your keel will exceed 26ft. Cheaper than grit-blasting? No need to sand-blast, as they just pickle it in acid!
Umm, there is the slight problem of getting the keel to the galvanizeria!! to say nothing of the difficulty of getting any paint to stick to galvo.

The zinc on our keel is ensconced in some sort of epoxy binder, not sprayed nor dipped zn metal.

I've just spent an hour in the jotun website trying to determine just which coating was applied to our keel, and nothing looks similar... but it is a very opaque website. Nothing they list now has zinc in it, as far as I can tell, yet that is what the chap who sprayed it said it was. Go figger...

And I'd sure be happy with a 20 year galvo job on my chain and anchor. I get around 3-5 years in between re-dos.

Jim
Old 28-06-2015, 18:34   #797

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Umm, there is the slight problem of getting the keel to the galvanizeria!! to say nothing of the difficulty of getting any paint to stick to galvo.

The zinc on our keel is ensconced in some sort of epoxy binder, not sprayed nor dipped zn metal.

I've just spent an hour in the jotun website trying to determine just which coating was applied to our keel, and nothing looks similar... but it is a very opaque website. Nothing they list now has zinc in it, as far as I can tell, yet that is what the chap who sprayed it said it was. Go figger...

And I'd sure be happy with a 20 year galvo job on my chain and anchor. I get around 3-5 years in between re-dos.

Jim
Hi Jim. Do you think this might be due to keels or rudders being used as ground plates for SSB resulting in the zinc in the coating becoming the anode??
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 10:55   #798

Quote:

The Jotun site implies you don't need a zinc based foundation for it's epoxy primer product. It says just take back to bare metal and add this gear x 2 coats.

Epoxy Yacht HB

Then a coat of antipest undercoat and then add anti-fouling after. I can't find any epoxy primer product that says you must have a zinc base actually Jim.

Could zinc be old school?
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:19   #799

“The Unsinkable” and Additional Thoughts on Watertight Subdivision in Small Yachts

Good article https://www.proboat.com/the-unsinkable.html

More bulkheads please skipper!
Old 01-07-2015, 12:38   #800

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulanthony View Post
Thanks Paul, but a one compartment subdivision is a long way from unsinkable. Above maybe 50 ft it could be practical in a true-blue yacht though - take a look at those sailing machines used by Skip Novak.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:58   #801

Quote:
... to say nothing of the difficulty of getting any paint to stick to galvo.
Just found a very interesting thread on this forum called "hull material". Several cruisers mention paint systems on their steel hulls lasting 20 years without issues. Makes me think again about suitability of a well-built, modern-design steel hull - steel design seems to have come a long way.

Doesn't help much in choosing the best coatings though, but a post to that thread could bring some replies. Never did understand that comment about getting paint to stick to galvanized steel though - I haven't heard of problems there. Is there a problem? Does it need an etch primer, like alloy?
Old 02-07-2015, 02:43   #802

Quote:
Thanks Paul, but a one compartment subdivision is a long way from unsinkable. Above maybe 50 ft it could be practical in a true-blue yacht though - take a look at those sailing machines used by Skip Novak.
I spied with my little eye 5 solid partitions suggested as being feasible in that link. (Less than 50)
Old 10-07-2015, 18:03   #803

Nevisdog.. Here is a fail as they are called these days. Quite interesting to watch.

Not sure why the guy is presenting himself in the video semi naked. He could have at least dressed up for the occasion which makes me a little suspicious it is a he aman video. Never the less, excuse the lack of decorum and check out the dinghy doing barrel rolls off the stern.

A twist in the tail. So watch till the end.
Old 10-07-2015, 19:33   #804

Quote:
.. Here is a fail as they are called these days..
"A fail"??? All very predictable. Note the lack of anti-chafe on dinghy painters, not even run through fairleads. I'm surprised it held on to do it's barrel rolls. Wonder if he bothered to double up or protect yacht's mooring line, or lower roller-furled sails - or anything positive at all. All he seems to have done is add more windage with his RIB and put his own life at risk.

I've been thru two hurricanes at anchor, once at dock: West Coast Scotland in about 1976ish (wiped out half the forests between Oban and Glasgow) I hid in a tiny, almost landlocked hurricane hole - still dragged all three anchors as if on sledges - old piece of left-over rope to some boulders ashore held but not tenable on single line - a long story. Second time, in Qld, I hid in the mangrove swamps with four ropes ashore - snug as a bug in a rug.
Alongside dock, I watched my steel hull pumping like bellows until the wooden yacht alongside me sank and I had to move. Alongside is worst option.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Old 20-07-2015, 05:00   #805

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
"A fail"??? All very predictable. Note the lack of anti-chafe on dinghy painters, not even run through fairleads. I'm surprised it held on to do it's barrel rolls. Wonder if he bothered to double up or protect yacht's mooring line, or lower roller-furled sails - or anything positive at all. All he seems to have done is add more windage with his RIB and put his own life at risk.
Uncoiled ropes in the cockpit, companion way hatch open (didn't look very secure anyway)...
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 13:56   #806

Anyone know what make this is?

Old 23-07-2015, 14:06   #807

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Salar, designed by Laurent Giles.
That one was probably the last one built... she was bought by a mate of mine a few months ago.
Old 23-07-2015, 14:25   #808

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Salar, designed by Laurent Giles.
That one was probably the last one built... she was bought by a mate of mine a few months ago.
Thanks for heads up. Appreciate it.

This particular one is in excellent condition.
Old 23-07-2015, 20:37   #809

The criteria of "blue"

LOL

Small world.....

It's my father and uncles old boat. Sold it a month or two ago.

I was hoping it would not sell so I could take it to Tassie as Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-07-2015, 07:27   #810
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Sure I have sailed but I think...
Hi!

I personally have never met any qualified Master Mariner who will accept sailing across the oceans aboard any production boat despite it carries CE-A badge glued on and regardless of the yard's size, or its money measured sales sucess, taking world's leading Bene as example.

If one of that kind qualified sailors wants a true blue water yacht, then he goes to build her with reputable builder and according to the Rules (not just 1+2+3)

By rules I mean what was already meantioned by the colleagues above. It is Classification Societies' clearly set up Rules of Ships and Yachts Building.

Do You know why qualified sailors do not ask anybody to clarify them on what "bluie water" yacht is?

Sorry,
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote