Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-06-2015, 19:03   #706

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: The criteria of "blue"

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
These boats are sexy!
Well now, I believe these are constructed in NZ no? Sexy maybe… but with a very finicky downwind apect. The boom tends to lie hard against the mast depending on configuration and is exceptionally tender in some surprising situations…

‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 19:50   #707

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Sexy maybe… but with a very finicky downwind apect.…
Whether a boat looks "sexy" is hardly relevant to a discussion on 'blue' - so much more useful to learn about its vices and virtues - thanks Muckle.

(And no - these 'sexy, stylish day sailers' are certainly not NZ built - they likely wouldn't survive five minutes in our sailing conditions. Long overhangs, enormous cockpit - true-blue sailors should easily recognize these toys for what they are.)

Old 19-06-2015, 19:53   #708

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Whether a boat looks "sexy" is hardly relevant to a discussion on 'blue' - so much more useful to learn about its vices and virtues - thanks Muckle.

(And no - these 'sexy, stylish day sailers' are certainly not NZ built - they likely wouldn't survive five minutes in our sailing conditions. Long overhangs, enormous cockpit - true-blue sailors should easily recognize these toys for what they are.)
I really have to tell you that there are lots of dodgy looking boats bobbing around in NZ...which are neither 'blue' nor 'sexy'....
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 19:54   #709

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:

Thanks but I wouldn't be so confident about the build zone… you may well find you are wrong on that. No matter how much I may personally like NZ…
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 19:57   #710

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I really have to tell you that there are lots of dodgy looking boats bobbing around in NZ...which are neither 'blue' nor 'sexy'....
Yes El, but we have more sense than to hold them up as an example of what's blue.
Old 19-06-2015, 20:15   #711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Thanks but I wouldn't be so confident about the build zone… you may well find you are wrong on that. No matter how much I may personally like NZ…
Okay so I had to google it: Friendship Yacht Company, Newport, Rhode Island, USA (very stylish advertising for sure).

On that sorry topic - NZ has almost zero production boatbuilding at present. Our yards continue to provide excellent repair facilities (I believe) but bugger-all building, except for occasional super-yachts and one-offs. That's why I must follow this forum, to learn about potentially blue yachts coming out of US/Europe. Even that Aussie cobber who posted earlier couldn't point to any Australian production yachts. Do most Asian products also go direct to the US market?
Old 19-06-2015, 20:28   #712
Eternal Member

Quote:
A 75' boat described as "a luxury day sailer"? If you have to ask, you can't afford it, as J.D. Rockefeller once said.
Always thought it was J.P. Morgan who supposedly said that, but no matter...

$2.5 million sounds pretty low, given that a Friendship 53 goes for about $2 million, I'd reckon the 75 would cost about double that...

Still, a relative bargain compared to what it would cost had it been custom-built to that same quality in Maine... Although, given the flak Kerry took over flap about registering ISABEL in tax-free Rhode Island instead of his home state of Massachusetts, he might have wished he'd spent that Heinz fortune in the USA, rather than exporting it to NZ... ;-)

Quote:
While the Friendship story certainly has its roots in New England, it's also, as it turns out, a Kiwi tale. The Goldens had originally hoped to build the 53 in Maine, closer to home, with a subcontractor if necessary. "I was dead set against New Zealand," said John. "But Ted impressed upon me the desire to keep consistency in the brand."

In the end, John paid half a dozen visits to the Bay of Islands facility, formerly known as the Austral boatyard, but now the dedicated builder of the Friendships. (A 76-footer, due to launch this fall, is currently under way, and a 46-foot version is ready to go.) He said that the trips to see the progress on Songtao added an invaluable, indelible aspect to the entire experience.

"Making a trip to New Zealand at a milestone stage of the project is something people plan and look forward to," said Fontaine. "And the first time they get there, they're blown away. The stuff you see, the air you breathe: It's unique. Plus, when the dollar's strong, it's a real advantageous place to build. The cost is probably 60 percent of what you'd pay for a custom order in Maine. And if you're lucky enough to have a boat that's finished between November and April, you can go cruise the Bay of Islands before shipping it home."

The other key Kiwi element in the construction of the Friendship 53 is the Auckland-based composite-engineering company High Modulus, which fabricates the boat's pre-cut panels of biaxial, unidirectional, and double-biaxial fiberglass mat and Corecell closed foam. The foam core is employed in the structural bulkheads, for weight savings, as well as in the deck and the hull, where four different densities are specified in the pre-impregnated, hand-laid structure. About three feet below the waterline, the layup becomes solid glass, which also encapsulates the keel's lead ballast, which terminates in a Scheel-type bulb.

Friendship 53: Sailboat Review | Cruising World
Old 19-06-2015, 20:41   #713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
... Although, given the flak Kerry took over flap about registering ISABEL in tax-free Rhode Island instead of his home state of Massachusetts, he might have wished he'd spent that Heinz fortune in the USA, rather than exporting it to NZ... ;-)
So production boatbuilding is alive and well in NZ!

Note the mention of "shipping" to the US - a dead giveaway that these boys-toys are not really blue.
I love the small Friendship catboats - but again they are rated more as day-sailers so not relevant here. I wonder if they are built in NZ too?
Old 19-06-2015, 20:57   #714

Quote:
So production boatbuilding is alive and well in NZ!

Note the mention of "shipping" to the US - a dead giveaway that these boys-toys are not really blue.
I love the small Friendship catboats - but again they are rated more as day-sailers so not relevant here. I wonder if they are built in NZ too?
I think that rather than being a 'production builder' Austral build to order.

Re shipping to the US..... any new boat you buy in NZ will have been 'shipped' in whether it is blue, puce or pink.
Old 19-06-2015, 21:06   #715

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Re shipping to the US..... any new boat you buy in NZ will have been 'shipped' in whether it is blue, puce or pink.
Not so - blue boats can be picked up in country of origin and sailed home (plenty of delivery skippers on this forum if you don't want to undertake the voyage) but toy boats must be shipped as deck cargo or risk damage on the open ocean.
Old 19-06-2015, 21:49   #716

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulanthony View Post
At least I now know what you like now.. ok, one brick sh*t house coming your way if I win the lottery jackpot.

I did not know tugs are available with sails..
What about the Diesel Ducks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diesel Duck.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	103981  
Old 20-06-2015, 01:06   #717
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:

At this point, does this thread still have any point? I assumed not, just posting where convenient instead of starting a new thread. Sorry if I offended!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 01:10   #718
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Not so - blue boats can be picked up in country of origin and sailed home (plenty of delivery skippers on this forum if you don't want to undertake the voyage) but toy boats must be shipped as deck cargo or risk damage on the open ocean.

I assure you, after having just worked on one, it is no toy. You definitely would not want to deliver this type of vessel on its own bottom. By the time it got there, it would be a used boat for a vessel in this class. They are absolutely pristine. Floating art.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 01:25   #719

Quote:
Any boat 'blue' or otherwise can be bought in the country of build and brought home any way the buyer likes.

The people who buy new boats want it 'here' and they want it 'now'... they don't want to wait a year for it to turn up and they don't want to take a year off to go sailing... they didn't make their millions lying around in the sun.

Second hand boats are a different matter... for a number of years second hand boats have been getting snapped up in the US and sailed back to the buyer's country.... the cost of the boat ( typically less than $100k) doesn't justify sea freight.
Old 20-06-2015, 01:54   #720

Quote:
I assure you, after having just worked on one, it is no toy. ... They are absolutely pristine. Floating art.
By definition - floating art has no place in a forum discussing the qualities of blue... but absolutely no offense taken, provided you're not too offended by the term 'boys-toys'.

Some of us are taking a long time to analyze what's available and what's blue, so this thread is still of keen interest to a few.

Also, I once worked in a boatyard in Southwest England, where we employed a delivery skipper to deliver all our new-builds all around Europe, even as far as South Africa and the Med, as the boats we built there were most definitely blue.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: