Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2015, 20:49   #481

Re: The criteria of "blue"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
It was 2am, 49° N, 20 miles off shore. The anemometer read 26 knots, but clearly it was blowing MUCH stronger, the anemometer read 26 no matter what, the wind generator sounded like a C-130 taking off, she was healing 30° and riding with the port rail in the water, the reef blew out of the staysail and I was a bit over canvassed with one reef in the main.

Had someone been with me I would have gone on the fore deck and put in a second reef in the main and re-reefed the staysail. But it was cold and dark and heeling. I was scared of going on deck and scared she was over powered. I was scared conditions would deteoriate even more.

What I did do was let out the main a bit, and let the staysail out a bit. She eased up a bit. I sat there for about 20 minutes just watching and considering my options.

Upon observation, the boat was doing fine. She was handling the waves well. She was behaving, not jumping around, just chugging forward at about 4 or 5 knots. The wind was predicted to drop in the morning. So I went back to sleep. It seemed the reasonable thing to do.
Often hiding under the covers is the only thing to do..

I just created a thread called "What is your most scariest boating moment" inspired by your reference to being scared. I think it's an interesting topic. Add your story if you want. I am sure it will be of interest.
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 21:25   #482

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
...We bought a 1985ish Pape SteelMaid ... The keel will never fall off nor be significantly damaged by grounding. Ditto the rudder. ... I stupidly wandered into a rock garden one night and only got out by motoring in reverse using the rudder to push off rocks. Not a "blue water" concern, but...
Yep, that's exactly a blue-water concern, if by blue we mean venturing off the beaten track. Anyway, that's my kind of yacht (well, maybe speed counts a little but everything's a compromise). Thanks for illustrating an important point.

(I'll keep quiet now - listen and learn, take a look at the Westsail manual.)
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 23:19   #483

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
These boats and their sister ships the Bayfieds have a following and while not to my taste they are far from ugly! I guess its like women and the choice you made, not too many guys think their wife is ugly!
Well, to each his own. But I grew up in a family of architects. And I learned that aesthetics lies in a consistent design language.
My dad used to point out houses where the architect for example had chosen to go for a brick facade with flemish windows, and then had put a greek portico in front. And then a thatched roof on top. What was that guy smoking he'd say.

Putting scrollwork and a clipper bow on a yacht, and then putting a modern glas windshield further back. Ugh... Hereshoff must be turning in his grave.

A lot of what Gozzard says on their website is just plain common sense. A blue water boat must be strong (but I'll bet that RM Yachts builds stronger boats for example).
But some of it is just wrong, and shows their prejudices. A long keel doesn't make a yacht track better. course stability has to do with balance. (And yes, classic designs were well balance, but learn the difference between correlation and causation...)
And some of it is silly. They reject reversed transoms because it "increases the physical length of the boat without adding space", but then put a huge bow sprit on int? To me if a boat needs a bow sprit for it's normal up wind sail plan it is just to heavy for it's length, and should either be longer, or lighter.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 00:07   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Well, to each his own. But I grew up in a family of architects. And I learned that aesthetics lies in a consistent design language.
My dad used to point out houses where the architect for example had chosen to go for a brick facade with flemish windows, and then had put a greek portico in front. And then a thatched roof on top. What was that guy smoking he'd say.

Putting scrollwork and a clipper bow on a yacht, and then putting a modern glas windshield further back. Ugh... Hereshoff must be turning in his grave.

A lot of what Gozzard says on their website is just plain common sense. A blue water boat must be strong (but I'll bet that RM Yachts builds stronger boats for example).
But some of it is just wrong, and shows their prejudices. A long keel doesn't make a yacht track better. course stability has to do with balance. (And yes, classic designs were well balance, but learn the difference between correlation and causation...)
And some of it is silly. They reject reversed transoms because it "increases the physical length of the boat without adding space", but then put a huge bow sprit on int? To me if a boat needs a bow sprit for it's normal up wind sail plan it is just to heavy for it's length, and should either be longer, or lighter.
Well Bauhaus design succeeded at melding traditional materials with modern design, and architects designed many Brutalist buildings consistent in design but horrific in life. Any fool knows a thatched roof requires a Georgian portico.

Gozzards ain't my cup of tea but they are well put together. Reverse transom or no.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 00:35   #485

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Wandering off on my own happy little way down a marginally off track path....

Sorting my ship's library... took a bucket full of books to the marina laundry the other day but today found this little gem at the back of the book locker... its a keeper... 'Bue Water' by Bob Griffith... mas aqui The Circumnavigators - by Don Holm - Chapter 21

Funny how little you hear about this bloke who circumnavigated south of the Cape, Tasmania, and the Horn a quarter century before Chichester.... mind you his book wasn't translated from the spanish for many many years....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248 (1).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	101812  
Old 11-05-2015, 03:53   #486

Quote:

Sure, It is common sense but they provide detailed rhyme and reason as to their design philosophy and material choice and they put to bed some of the argument we see here such as a solid glass hulls being stronger than a cored laminated one and they explain why this is not true.

The bowsprit is there to enable a decent cutter rig. It does a job as well as being pretty. Read Bob Perry's review of it. What is the cost over benefit of a reverse transom v's a bowsprit? No brainier to me. They have also designed an interface to the water at the rear so there is minimal compromise of leisure function either.

I am sure they would provide you with a wooden wind shield if it worried you so but clippers bows were used beyond wooden construction so not sure it is an aesthetic departure.

The RM is a different animal made of plywood and it is made of plywood principally because that material handling skill exists within the team. The choice to use it was very much about capitalising on an existing skill and knowledge base rather than being a better material for boat building. I am sure RM hulls are strong but I bet it does not have a stix rating in the 60's and would you want your portico made from plywood? Me not. The Gozzard will age much better. Would be still around in 50 or more years. In case you want to go off piste the RM provides a hull option where the outer hull is encased in another glass skin so what does this tell us. It says the stock item does not provide the same hull integrity of the Gozzard. Seems to me you may as well buy a glass hull in the first place.

The guys who build Gozzard boats know what they are doing but they are not competing in the speed performance end of yacht building. They are perfecting the art of safe, off shore comfortable cruising.

Incidentally, balance is important but wind conditions change in seconds and a long keel is not as sensitive as a short one to change and gives you time to go to the bow to fix a problem or go below and make that very important cup of tea.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:30   #487

Good compromise. Looks yammy to me.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:42   #488

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
Well Bauhaus design succeeded at melding traditional materials with modern design, and architects designed many Brutalist buildings consistent in design but horrific in life.
I've lived in a "brutalist" flat. The best flat I've every lived in. Good architecture does make a difference. But tastes do indeed differ.

Quote:
Gozzards ain't my cup of tea but they are well put together. Reverse transom or no.
My point was that it is inconsistent to reject reverse transoms with the argument that they are an inefficient use of total boat length, and then put a bowsprit on.

this way they're contradicting themselves...
Old 11-05-2015, 04:50   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulanthony View Post
Sure, It is common sense but they provide detailed rhyme and reason as to their design philosophy and material choice and they put to bed some of the argument we see here such as a solid glass hulls being stronger than a cored laminated one and they explain why this is not true.
AFAIK nobody who knows a few things about boat construction will claim that a cored laminate is inferior...

Quote:
The bowsprit is there to enable a decent cutter rig. It does a job as well as being pretty. Read Bob Perry's review of it.
To me it remains that if you need that length to be able to put enough sail up you can as well have a longer hull, and have more space in the bargain. Personally don't see why I would have to pay marina charges for a 50 footer, when only having the living space of 40 footer...

Quote:
In case you want to go off piste the RM provides a hull option where the outer hull is encased in another glass skin so what does this tell us. It says the stock item does not provide the same hull integrity of the Gozzard.
RM usually advises against adding the extra kevlar layer, unless you intend to sail where there is ice. That tells me that the "stock" item is strong enough for all practical purposes.

Quote:
Seems to me you may as well buy a glass hull in the first place.
But a glass hull of the same strength will be a lot heavier. The advantage of this hard chine plywood construction is that you have a level of strength and stiffness that you would otherwise only have with a metal hull, while still being very light.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:10   #490

Quote:

To me it remains that if you need that length to be able to put enough sail up you can as well have a longer hull, and have more space in the bargain. Personally don't see why I would have to pay marina charges for a 50 footer, when only having the living space of 40 footer...

An extra 3 or 4 foot of hull with steps is more expensive. Way more so. Maybe there is a premium to pay at a marina that cancels itself regardless of bowsprit of reverse transom because of length but capital cost is less, maintenance is less and why have that big buoyancy bag at the back taking a bashing if you get no benefit of increased water length?

The bowsprit lets the mast be further back but also have a lot of sail forward.

I notice you did not respond to the stix rating I mentioned. I see RM does not publish it but the RM1070 has a an AVS of 124 and a stix rating of 36 compared to an AVS of 136 and a stix rating of 65 on the Gozzard. I think my cruising trump cards beat yours.

The RM will be faster(your race card will beat mine)and cost less to purchase but it wont be as comfortable or as sea worthy as the Gozzard. You pays your money and makes your choice.

The RM is a nice boat but comparing these two boats is back to comparing oranges and apples. It is beyond comparing coke and pepsi. They are designed to do two different things although the RM tries to do both and this is why the RM falls short with respect to cruising.

I have no doubt the Gozzard yard knows exactly what they are doing and why and if I was in some bad weather I would prefer the Gozzard any day of the week. The Gozzard 44 can even be configured as a ketch - How much more cruisy can you get than that?

Oh and another thing. Building with ply does not lend itself to very much roundy stuff on the bottom. The RM will give you a lot of short sharp shock treatment in heavy seas. It will keep you awake for sure.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:42   #491

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...)
But I grew up in a family of architects. And I learned that aesthetics lies in a consistent design language.
(...)

(...)
To me if a boat needs a bow sprit for it's normal up wind sail plan it is just to heavy for it's length, and should either be longer, or lighter.
(...)
Then you know that Steve Job's yacht is aesthetically perfect. But man she is an ugly ... (self-censored).

And, bowsprits: are you talking VOR65 or IMOCA? For they both have bowsprits, you know ...

There is no relationship between bowsprits and being too heavy for its length. Correlation does not imply causation.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:50   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Then you know that Steve Job's yacht is aesthetically perfect. But man she is an ugly ... (self-censored).

And, bowsprits: are you talking VOR65 or IMOCA? For they both have bowsprits, you know ...

There is no relationship between bowsprits and being too heavy for its length. Correlation does not imply causation.

Cheers,
b.
I have to agree. That Steve Job's special is the pits. You would have to give me that. I would not part a quid for it.. Ok, maybe a quid but you get my drift.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:38   #493

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

By definition in a cutter rig bow sprit should be part of the running rigging ie rectractable, if it were part of the standing rig then the rig is sloop. That of course is how things "used to be" with a single mast vessel. But who cares about traditions anymore..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:50   #494

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We'll these boats have a maximum design length to consider.
The 37' RM 1070 has a small sprit too. But it still has a longer waterline than a Gozzard 41 which has a LOA of 47!

Upwind you want the maximum waterline length. If you need X feet to be able to fly the sails you need when going upwind then why not make sure the waterline length is X as well? Why waste construction length by adding a big clipper bow and bow sprit.
Again, with the Gozzard 47 you'll be paying harbour fees for a 47 footer, whereas you'll have the performance of a 35 footer. I rather have it the other way round...
Quote:
But the causation in this case is real. The bowsprit is needed to get enough up wind sail area. Why is so much upwind sail area needed on a relatively small boat?
Answer: Because it's heavy...
Old 11-05-2015, 08:50   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulanthony View Post
I have to agree. That Steve Job's special is the pits.
I quite like it though...