Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2011, 07:39   #1

Boat: Marie-Hélène
The Best Transportable Full Keels

Hello Everyone,
I finally joined... I have read quite a few threads on various subjects and have learned quite a bit.
My question: I am currently stuck in Miami- but I am able to sail out for a week or even a few weeks at a time. I have a yard where I can keep either a trailered boat or a "dry docked" boat under say 26 ft. I have sailed in the past- mostly Lazers, and Sunfish, but have some experience w/sloops. I have an ultimate goal of soloing larger sailboats... In the meantime... I want to start with a smaller boat that does not require me to keep her in a marina.
I am currently a member of a sail club/school. Initially I thought that maybe I could rent and use their boats to "work-up", but this is not going to work out. They have their own rigging etc- and I want to learn to rig my own boat for my specific needs, and not have restrictions on how far I can go in their boats.
I should also mention that I plan on going solo.
So..... I am interested in getting a sailboat that I can transport- not necessarily trailer on my own trailer- from Dinner Key, or wherever there is a hoist, to my house/yard- at most 10-20 miles if not less. i.e. I am not looking to trailer from place to place or long distances-simply marina-home. A boat w/trailer- seems limited as to keel (not always)- I can rent a truck or possibly have it towed by the marina services (if that exists).
When I lived in Maine- I had a Cape Dory Typhoon- considered a "day sailor", although I took her out a ways into the Gulf of Maine, and she handled incredibly well in 6-8 seas. Otherwise day sailing, unless you are speaking of Lazers etc, is a pain.(stepping, putting in..all for ..4-6hrs of sailing). Because of my situation I am not limited to day sailing, so I plan on going go for weeks at a time, upon return, putting her up in my yard for some time until I go out again for weeks at a time. I feel I can gain far more experience beginning this way.
I am interested a boat under 26' so that I can cross to the BS or down and west to the Dry Tortugas-both of which I have done in 23' SeaCraft (motor boat). I want to become familiar as much as possible with sailing in various weather conditions, non-GPS nav skills, etc because of my ultimate goal of soloing in a 35ft range boat.. in say.. 2 yrs.
There are Cape Dory 22s and 25s. I like the CDs b/c they are seaworthy and as I said, my little Typhoon handled high seas quite well. Sometimes I wonder if I should not get another Typhoon....except... they are...19ft
Having said that- I need advice on this matter. I'm sure there are other boats. Is it hard to find transportation for a ~25 from marina- 20miles to home? Do they offer mast stepping etc. ?
Head-room is not top on my list. Age, as long as sound is not an issue. I do not want to spend more than 10K.
Thanks for everyones help. In the meantime I will continue to do crazy things in my Lazer.
Jalaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 08:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: question: best transportable full keels

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jalaniel.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 09:27   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: question: best transportable full keels

I think that PS small tub (Dana?) can be trailed.The small Morris/Frances perhaps too. I would also give a chance to a small Freedom. From among lighter boats Etaps are pretty good too and Biloups perhaps.

?
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 14:27   #4

Re: The Best Transportable Full Keels

Thanks very much for the welcome, and the input. I will check out those boats. PS- I suppose is Pacific Seacraft?
Thanks again
Old 14-04-2011, 15:11   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 265, 26.5 ft

I sail an S2 7.3 meter. For me this is the ideal pocket cruiser. The layout feels open down below. boat weight 3200 lbs or so. trailers very well, has hinge pins to sway up the mast. I've learned rig 100lbs of weight off the front of the boat to help raise the mast, keeps it under control. There are both shoal (3') and regular (4') drafts. IOR boat so the fore triangle is kinda big. Typically put a reef in main first, prior to bringing in the genoa.

good luck !
hard-a-ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 16:25   #6

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig

I am working on a Ranger 28 that I have bought a trailer for it. It will be hoisted off the trailer to be splashed, but you need to be aware of crane costs in addition to other costs, ie night slips, etc. 240 bucks or so to launch and another to hoist to trailer adds up quick! I wanted the trailer because Lake Ponchartrain is hurricane prone and I would rather pay 400 bucks and keep my boat than to leave it and lose it.
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 17:48   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I might also suggest looking at the Compac line of boats.

Com-Pac Yachts: Trailerable Cat Boats, Trailerable Cruisers, and Cruising Sailboats

They seem to have a good reputation, their 16 footer is almost a cult classic but I believe they have a trailerable 19 and 23 footer.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 18:08   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalaniel View Post
Thanks very much for the welcome, and the input. I will check out those boats. PS- I suppose is Pacific Seacraft?
Thanks again
Yep, it is.

They made a nice 25' once too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 06:27   #9

Hi Everyone- WillJa- thanks for the info on Hoist costs. I know the hurricane drill- I was in South Dade hard hit area during 1992 Andrew... Somehow the little 18 motor boat I had trailered remained bolted down in the carport (the carport itself blew away).. Barn- All the boats you mentioned I looked up thus far were the type of boat I would like... (Dana, Morris/Francis) except they are out of price range. I did not realize the the PSs had such a reputation. I think I am confusing them with another production boat that has less reputation. As for the Com Pacs.. I sailed a 16 and .... not to offend anyone.. but I was not impressed. They are excellent trailerable day/week sailors in coastal waters, but are a bit too light, and on a beating tack it was miserable. If the 23 is anything like it, I would never cross the Gulf Stream in one (I will check the specs out though and thanks for the info). The Cape Dory Typhoon was a totally different experience. Given the right wind I would not hesitate crossing in the CD 19.
I am open to other's opinions on the CDs. There is one Typhoon Sr. for sale in St. Augustine. They are 22 ft.
Finally, Hard A Grnd- I will definitely check out the S-2 7.3.
I really appreciate the info- and have either looked up the boats or am in the process of looking them up. So, none of the advice is wasted.
Old 15-04-2011, 07:56   #10
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

There are lots of boats that will do what you want to do that are not full keel. You would open up more options for yourself if you broadened your search to include reliable fin keels that have good reputations for bluewater sailing.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 08:41   #11

Check out this web site. www.trailersailor.com
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 08:56   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I dry-sailed a Santana 22 for many years, keeping it on a trailer in the yacht club dry moorage during the week, and launching it nearly every weekend, usually via hoist.

I wouldn't want to dry-sail a keelboat much larger than that unless you had an arrangement with a yard where they'd use a travel lift to launch the boat for you.
Old 15-04-2011, 09:17   #13

I used to own a Cape Dory 25D. It was a great boat. Many were sold with a Triad double axle trailer with surge brakes. We trailered ours many thousands of miles (from Wisconsin) including a trip to Florida to sail the Bahamas for a couple of months. We used a 1/2 ton pickup with a heavy duty towing package and had no problems. Typically, we stepped the mast and launched the boat ourselves using a tongue extension that came with the trailer. We had the boat lifted onto the trailer...we could have probably pulled the boat out also, but our truck was a 2WD and weren't sure we could always get the traction on a slippery ramp. Good luck in your search.
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 17:31   #14

I found a 1986 CD 22 (Typhoon Senior). It has many of the same characteristics as the Typhoon, but is larger, more weight, and more draft. Decent cabin space.
It is slipped in St. Augustine, without trailer. A trailer would cost me approx 2300. They want 10,900 for it. It was repainted, new rigging, new sails (Main/Jib-furled) in '09.
The outboard motor is contained in a compartment just aft of the tiller. It comes with a '05 9hp merc 4 stroke. They also had a custom made splash guard/enclosure and a nice bimini. If I was to buy it, I don't know if I would sail it down to Miami from St. Augustine or have it transported... The CDs are almost all up in New England... so this is relatively close.
Old 15-04-2011, 17:44   #15

PS- I was at the dock today, and two guys were launching a 28ft foldable Trimaran, and were going to sell it. I must say, I was rather impressed with the ease of putting in. They had crossed to and sailed the BS. Been in races etc.
A few things bothered me- a) I do not want a trimaran. b)they were pushing the boat as some sort of marvel- at 8500.00 - which seemed awfully cheap. c)what most bothered me was their response when I asked what kind of bilge pump it had: "No need for one, cockpit has auto/deck bailing etc". I responded- "most boats have self bailing for the deck..I am speaking of the bilge.... ummm what if you run over a buoy or rock and ripped a hole w/out a pump?"
answer: "The hull has a galvanized steel bottom- never happen" ... perhaps I am ignorant about this matter- but the "Titanic" came to mind when he said this....
He affirmed that they did have one of those portable plastic pump bilge pumps... which are not very effective in a boat 28 ft in length.. IMHO. I would want a fixed 15 pump at the very least..