Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2008, 04:42   #1

Boat: Hanse 371
the best of American boats

Because of the exchange rate of the US dollar / euro I am looking what boats are available build in the US/Canada.
Are there American equivalents to the European Halberg Rassy's and Najad's ? ( Gozzard ? Tartan ? Island Packet ? )
I'm looking for a 42 - 48 foot cruiser with longterm liveaboard possibilities.
Budget : max $ 750.000

Greetz,

Koen
scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 05:27   #2

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Shannon, Hinkley, Morris
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 20:01   #3

Island Packet - yes, Tartan - no...
Quote:
Shannon, Hinkley, Morris
Yes

Also - Pacific Seacraft, Valiant
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 20:07   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 33 Sloop
Look for a Hinkley Sou'wester 42. One of my favorites from my delivery days back in the 80's and 90's and several of them are now on the market. Fast, comfortable, sea worthy and not hard to look at either.
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 21:22   #5

RE AMERICAN MADE YACHTS, I AM SERIOUSLY LOOKING AT A 1980 PEARSON 424 SLOOP. IT LOOKS LIKE A NEW PIN INSIDE AND OUT. BUT LOCAL KNOWLEDGE OF THEM IN TASMANIA AUSTRALIA IS NON EXCISTENT. I LOOKED AT THE PEARSON OWNERS WEB SITE BUT THEY ARE PROBABLY BIAS. I NEED TO SAIL IT FROM QUEEENSLAND VIA SYDNEY,BASS STRAIT TO HOBART. IS THIS DESIGN YACHT STRONG ENOUGH? WHO OUT THERE CAN ADVISE? REGARDS DENNIS
DENNIS GALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 03:04   #6
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
RE THE PEARSON, I'AM ALSO FROM AUSTRALIA {SYDNEY} YOU SHOULD TAKE A LOOK AT PEARSONS THAT ARE FOR SALE IN THE U.S.A. .I'AM LOOKING FOR A MASON 43 / 44 AND THE SAVINGS THAT CAN BE MADE EVEN AFTER PAYING GST AND 5% DUTY ARE ENOURMOUS ALSO THE SELECTION AND QUALITY ARE SO MUCH BETTER .O.K. YOU DO HAVE TO GET IT BACK TO OZ AT SOME STAGE BUT YOU CAN EVEN CLAIM SOME OF THE EXSPENCE AGAINST THE DUTY!!
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 03:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Please folks, disengage the "CAPS LOCK", and use conventional capitals and punctuation.
your posts will be MUCH easier to read.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 05:39   #8

Boat: Bavaria 40, 12, 48 meters
@ Sailorman, out of curiousity, why not Tartan in your opinion?
Morski Krastavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 19:51   #9

Quote:
@ Sailorman, out of curiousity, why not Tartan in your opinion?
The early Tartan yachts were indeed great boats. The firm was sold. Tartan and C&C are currently owned by a company called Novis Marine. Novis seems to follow a very different philosophy from those that were subscribed to by the founders of the marques.

Novis is a very litigious organisation, hence I am not going to go into any great detail here, but I believe that anyone considering one of their products would do well to spend a significant amount of time researching the firm, both on the internet and otherwise.

I believe that the older Tartan and C&C boats are great craft, if they have been well-maintained. It is my impression that the Tartan may have been built to a higher standard than the C&C. Look for the Tartans that have two digit apellations.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 20:29   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In top names, Hinckley, Sabre...still in production and available new.

The Pearson 424's are benchmarks, they've gone everywhere and their owners hold onto them. They were a very successful boat. Price tends to hold very well, but there aren't very many of them on the market.

The C&C Landfall series (38 & 42(?) were also highly respected, built by C&C (who usually built racers) as express cruisers instead. The Landfall series are *not* at all the same as the regular C&C's.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 13:22   #11

Given what you are looking for in a new boat...I think the Valiant42 or 50 is your best choice. The others mentioned will be too expensive (Morris/hinckley/shannon etc.) or not as good under sail. Gozzards are built in Canada. For something a bit more performance oriented...you might look at the Sabre426 but I agree that until Tartan comes clean and the dust settles around the recent sale of Novis assets and how warranty obligations are handled...it would be a bit risky right now.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 14:21   #12

Don't forget the Aldens and Hoods and I would also look at US based European built boats. Many owners do not know the value of their boats and the economy has folks shook. Like I said in an earlier post there is a nice Swan for sale here at an extremely reasonable price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab View Post
Because of the exchange rate of the US dollar / euro I am looking what boats are available build in the US/Canada.
Are there American equivalents to the European Halberg Rassy's and Najad's ? ( Gozzard ? Tartan ? Island Packet ? )
I'm looking for a 42 - 48 foot cruiser with longterm liveaboard possibilities.
Budget : max $ 750.000

Greetz,

Koen
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 14:22   #13

?? We own a nice regular C&C cruiser that is not a Landfall series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
In top names, Hinckley, Sabre...still in production and available new.

The Pearson 424's are benchmarks, they've gone everywhere and their owners hold onto them. They were a very successful boat. Price tends to hold very well, but there aren't very many of them on the market.

The C&C Landfall series (38 & 42(?) were also highly respected, built by C&C (who usually built racers) as express cruisers instead. The Landfall series are *not* at all the same as the regular C&C's.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 17:46   #14

I like Tom Morris's work
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 05:48   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
This sounds like the best advice here. Chances are, that if/when you try to resell, the boat will be in your home, or european waters. A familiar boat will sell more easily.

We bought our Westerly Fumar here in the states for less then 1/3 of the average listing price of the boats in Europe, comparing dollars to dollars.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Don't forget the Aldens and Hoods and I would also look at US based European built boats. Many owners do not know the value of their boats and the economy has folks shook. Like I said in an earlier post there is a nice Swan for sale here at an extremely reasonable price.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote