Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 15:30   #1

Boat: 473 Beneteau, 47'
Tender/ Outboard Motor Suggestions

I have a 2002 Beneteau 473 and am in the market for a RIB tender that will fit on deck while on passages. Any suggestions on brand and size? It looks like the baby stay will limit what I can put on deck without impeding the anchor locker. I would go measure but the boat is 6 hours away. Also-- with the tender there will need to be a motor- any thoughts on engine size that is preferable while cruising? I know the tender will have a max motor size but I have some concern with storing it on the rail and am more concerned with going practical rather than going with the max size.

Any rate- just looking for thoughts of those who have bought either (tender or motor) and later wished they would have gotten something different.

Also- if anyone has any recommendations where I can look to get good deals on a tender and/or motor-- please share...

Thank you very much in advance!
Seabbatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 15:41   #2

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Tender/ Outboard Motor Suggestions

I have the AB 9 UL aluminum with a 6hp 4-stroke on my Beneteau 49. It is light and it fits on my forward deck with the engine on the dinghy. I do not have a baby stay but have a forward locker hatch in addition to the anchor hatch.
Not bad to man handle on board but it can get tricky with rough seas and only two people (one on the winch and the other controlling the halyard and dinghy).
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 15:46   #3

Can I ask why you went with aluminum rather than fiberglass?

Thank you, by the way, for the response.
Old 02-02-2018, 15:50   #4

Aluminum is lighter and stronger.
Old 02-02-2018, 18:19   #5

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

If your RIB tender will be used to get back and forth to dock, walk the dog, run divers out to the reef AND you dont want to water ski or run 30mph, you will want nothing shorter than 10 feet and an engine no larger than 15hp.
Something you can row in a straight line without an engine, an engine that one or two people can easily hoist on board, and an engine that does not need a battery to start.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 19:57   #6

The Highfield 2.9 m alloy Rib, is very light, has a great riding deep V hull for chop and runs very well with the very light 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke, if you can get one in your country.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:35   #7

Boat: Caliber 47

Hi...this advise is perfect.....would not change a thing except I dont think you get 30 MPH out of this combination......low 20's perhaps but plenty fast!

I have an Avon RIB 315....10'5 with a Yamaha 15HP 2 stroke. Easy to lift and place on my rail.

If your RIB tender will be used to get back and forth to dock, walk the dog, run divers out to the reef AND you dont want to water ski or run 30mph, you will want nothing shorter than 10 feet and an engine no larger than 15hp.
Something you can row in a straight line without an engine, an engine that one or two people can easily hoist on board, and an engine that does not need a battery to start.

Greg
Old 03-02-2018, 09:41   #8

I have Honda 2hp on my Achilles 285, love it. 27 lbs with gas.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:06   #9

I preferred my aluminium to my fiberglass rib for weight considerations but it can dent somewhat easily. An ounce of prevention...
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:17   #10

Boat: Caliber 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Magic View Post
I have Honda 2hp on my Achilles 285, love it. 27 lbs with gas.
Not a combination you'd want if your cruising Bahamas or The Caribbean assuming you want to run from one anchorage to another or go ashore and haul groceries or people.

Some cruisers keep that 2 1/2 HP as a second motor if all your doing is going ashore to let the dog take a whizz.
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:25   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We have two Ocean Craft (Australian made) all aluminium dinghies, including the tubes. The kids have the 2.6m with a 15hp Yam Enduro and a Yam Malta 3.5hp for doodling around whilst the 3.4m family dinghy is kitted with a 25hp Yam Enduro and a Yam 5hp.
Now that my wife has passed, and the twins are at 'varsity I shall be rationalising by keeping the 3.4m with the 25HP and the Malta. Im big enough to carry the 25hp. I would never suggest buying an engine that you cannot carry. Even so, I use the crane when removing the engine when the dinghy is in the water. Our 3.4m sits upright on the aft platform at sea, with the engine in place, with our basic survival gear secured inside. The 2.6m, on passage, sits upright with a cover over it on the trampoline platform, again with basic safety gear secured inside.

Looking at many long term, long distance cruisers (not those dashing to circumnavigate) it will be noticed how many of the >35ft boats have 15hp-30hp outboards as well as a tiddler engine. Our 25hp gets most use.

Tucked away in a locker is an Avon Rover 2.8m which we have had for ever (It gets into the water once or twice a year). This is for ultimate emergency use. Its surprising how cramped that longer dinghy is compared to the Ocean Craft 2.6m.

To be frank, both the Ocean Crafts are heavier than advertised but they are incredible dinghies. Fast, dry, massively tough (tubes are slightly pressurised to help avoid denting) and are very distinctive. Both our dinghies are fitted with flip up bumper fenders as well which further helps with staying drier, and in the down position they work wonders when tied up.

We have seen one inflatable dinghy where thieves cut the tubes off to steal the outboard which was locked to the transom.

We have had 14 adults in our 3.4m. Ocean Craft are very beamy so watch out if this is a factor. The 'little' 2.6m will likely fit your needs and can take up to 30hp.

Our 3.4m is also our lifeboat.

There are many other good dinghies out there. We favour two stroke outboards for long distance cruising for ease of maintenance and spares availability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabbatical View Post
I have a 2002 Beneteau 473 and am in the market for a RIB tender that will fit on deck while on passages. Any suggestions on brand and size? It looks like the baby stay will limit what I can put on deck without impeding the anchor locker. I would go measure but the boat is 6 hours away. Also-- with the tender there will need to be a motor- any thoughts on engine size that is preferable while cruising? I know the tender will have a max motor size but I have some concern with storing it on the rail and am more concerned with going practical rather than going with the max size.

Any rate- just looking for thoughts of those who have bought either (tender or motor) and later wished they would have gotten something different.

Also- if anyone has any recommendations where I can look to get good deals on a tender and/or motor-- please share...

Thank you very much in advance!
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:25   #12

Thank you everyone. Some really great comments and advice and I appreciate all of them. I think I am going to go with a Cadet RIB 310 and a 15hp Tohatsu based off the numerous comments.

I am steering away from electric start because I don't want to mess with a battery.

Thank you all again! Safe sailing....
Old 03-02-2018, 12:37   #13

I see you are talking lifting on deck. Beware that bare aluminum leaves grey residue on anything it touches etc. Of course fiberglass can be an issue with growth or slime , but the aluminum adds another thing as well as those. I far prefer a 10 ft if it will fit for you, having had 9 ft and 10 ft to compare.
The dimensions you need may be on a drawing, sail plan drawing... have you googled it?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 13:38   #14

I would buy a hypalon dinghy instead of PVC...
Old 03-02-2018, 14:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabbatical View Post
Thank you everyone. Some really great comments and advice and I appreciate all of them. I think I am going to go with a Cadet RIB 310 and a 15hp Tohatsu based off the numerous comments.

I am steering away from electric start because I don't want to mess with a battery.

Thank you all again! Safe sailing....
What is a Cadet RIB 310 - is that the Zodiac?

If so we had one of these, it was no good in chop, the glue between the tubes and hull gave way after 3 years , it was a disaster, as was the Zodiac air floor we had prior, thought I would have learned the first time.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, outboard, tender