Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2011, 17:37   #31

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Tender for 40' Yacht ?

Lots of thoughts, here's mine, I have had 2 pvc dinks over the years. Both fell apart one after 6 years, the "Pro" re glue job to the floor laster 3 years. The difference isnt just the glueing but they are not nearly resistant to fuels being spilled on them, and sun, both of which rapidly speed their seperation.
We have a 10' achilles rib, on the davits, its light, 110 lbs, l. we can keep our 4hp on it, it will plane with 1 adult. We also have a 15hp evinrude , for when we want to go really fast. over a longer distance. a cheap alternative we decided was a smaller easily maneuvered outboard for nasty conditions or short jaunts, wife can handle etc etc, then the big daddy for play time. Most people I know opt for a 15hp as it is only a lil more weight then the 8hp, and same weight as a 9.9 but a lot more power. why go less hp when the weights the same???
My ideal situation is ditch the 4hp, (40 ish lbs) and get a 2 hp honda aircooled, no flushing, little corrosion, and runs like hell am,d light @ 27 lbs.
We did get an 12' Apex recently for longer trips when we plan on more diving and fishing, jut too heavy fo rthe davits until we reinforce them. Both our dinks are hypalon. My last dink on our monohaul was a 1972 Achilles and it only had 2 patches, wood transom was still good, wont see a PVC that old ever. They just dont last, but they are tough while they stay together.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 18:13   #32

Boat: 44 M/Y gulfstar

Put a heavy duty davit system. On your boat and you don't have to lift a thing
Old 26-10-2011, 00:47   #33
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Which brands are you looking at when you say a 15hp is the same weight as a 9.9? This only appears true for 2 strokes which you can not get in the USA and then only if you buy the detuned 15 rather than the smaller frame 9.8 which also comes as an 8hp.

The cheapest 4 stroke 9.9 I can find is a Mercury 9.9 for $1800 and it weighs 91lbs. Where is the 4 stroke 15 that weighs 91lbs? I can find a 2 stroke Tohatsu 15 that weighs around 80lbs though! The other 15hp 4strokes are around 115lbs. The weights are massive compared to 2 strokes.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 04:53   #34

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Which brands are you looking at when you say a 15hp is the same weight as a 9.9? This only appears true for 2 strokes which you can not get in the USA and then only if you buy the detuned 15 rather than the smaller frame 9.8 which also comes as an 8hp.

The cheapest 4 stroke 9.9 I can find is a Mercury 9.9 for $1800 and it weighs 91lbs. Where is the 4 stroke 15 that weighs 91lbs? I can find a 2 stroke Tohatsu 15 that weighs around 80lbs though! The other 15hp 4strokes are around 115lbs. The weights are massive compared to 2 strokes.
Sorry was referring to 2 strokes only as same weights between the 9.9 and 15 hp versions . you can find fairly new 2 strokes if you look around, I am still seeing "2010, and a few 2011" 2 strokes for sale, though the newer motors dont really have a date on them, same with new 4 strokes, my new honda was called a 2011 because it was purchased in 2011, If it sat until 2012 they'd have called it a 2012,,, aside from that though if you are talking the difference of 30 or so lbs, I am thinking most of us are not "man handling" That engine any ways. we are using a lift or davit arm & tackle to get the engine on off etc...I am pretty strong and in good shape but still take the slow n easy approach even with a 77lb outboard.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 05:20   #35
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

I just like the idea of saving weight where possible. I have been looking and there are a few used 2 strokes out there. My planned rib so far will be a PVC (for $1400 I don't care if it falls apart in 6 years) Mercury Dynamic 310 with Tohatsu 9.8. This will be 100lbs for the rib and 60lbs for the engine. So a 10" rib with 9.8hp that will weigh 160lbs. That is light enough to carry up into bushes to hide, or drag along low tide flats if necessary. Should go very well with this light weight too. My current rib weighs 520lbs!!!

Having had tenders stolen before and having known of many that have been stolen I do not want to spend up big.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 05:47   #36

Boat: L 34

I'm with Ironhorse 74, inflatables are the most abominable invention. Nothing beats a hard,unsinkable, dinghy with a sailing rig and panic bag lashed inside. Dinghy and liferaft in one. Why the big hurry to get on the plane? If you're in such a hurry, take a plane to the islands and hire a speedboat. !
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 07:40   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
I'm with Ironhorse 74, inflatables are the most abominable invention. Nothing beats a hard,unsinkable, dinghy with a sailing rig and panic bag lashed inside. Dinghy and liferaft in one. Why the big hurry to get on the plane? If you're in such a hurry, take a plane to the islands and hire a speedboat. !
I know nothing about you, Holmek, but this sort of statement often comes from folks who have not done serious cruising. The ability to travel at planing speeds isn't for thrills or being in a big hurry, but rather enabling one to anchor where your vessel is best situated and still being able to access the things you need or simply want. Things like provisions, water, village activities, good snorkeling/diving, social activities and so on. Further, hard dinks of a size that can be utilized on typical cruising yachts are far less seaworthy than RIBs that can be accommodated. The small hard dink may be "unsinkable", but with their low freeboard their contents are often wet.

We have friends who have followed your plan, and while they survive, they either anchor in less desirable spots or miss out on things they would like to partake in... or, since they are friends, we give them a lift.

I'll be the first to admit that having the hard sailing dinghy is also desirable, and if I had room, I'd love to have one on board. But, then it is the "toy", and the planing RIB is the workhorse.

When one reaches cruising destinations that are beyond the weekend cruise range, a look around at one's fellows will usually reveal a big majority of inflatables. I think that there is a good reason for this.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 26-10-2011, 08:30   #38

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Hello,

May I suggest a banana boot?
This guy;
Homepage von Weltumsegler Bobby Schenk
sailed the world and used it as his tender,it is like all tenders a compromise yet not a very bad one as he claims.

This is the company that produces it;
Banana-boot - Firma SieBroTec GmbH

Both links are in German yet Google translate works fine on them.
I like the idea a lot.I have not yet seen or used it in practice.
On some yachts you might even be able to put it inside your boat,here in Holland outboards and dinghy's or both at the same time get stolen all the time,and if they can not see your dinghy there is no temptation to steal it.

any other thoughts on this "fruit" boat?

Regards,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 08:46   #39

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

If you want a really good hard dink, one that is big enough to carry a good load, be seaworthy a really practical tender, then take a look at a nesting tender. They store in half the space of a standard hard dink. Dave Gerr has plans for a nice 11', and there are plans available for quite a range of nesters from 8 to at least 12'. Plywood and fiberglass is easy to build, inexpensive, easy to repair, and durable.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:06   #40

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I know nothing about you, Holmek, but this sort of statement often comes from folks who have not done serious cruising. The ability to travel at planing speeds isn't for thrills or being in a big hurry, but rather enabling one to anchor where your vessel is best situated and still being able to access the things you need or simply want. Things like provisions, water, village activities, good snorkeling/diving, social activities and so on. Further, hard dinks of a size that can be utilized on typical cruising yachts are far less seaworthy than RIBs that can be accommodated. The small hard dink may be "unsinkable", but with their low freeboard their contents are often wet.

We have friends who have followed your plan, and while they survive, they either anchor in less desirable spots or miss out on things they would like to partake in... or, since they are friends, we give them a lift.

I'll be the first to admit that having the hard sailing dinghy is also desirable, and if I had room, I'd love to have one on board. But, then it is the "toy", and the planing RIB is the workhorse.

When one reaches cruising destinations that are beyond the weekend cruise range, a look around at one's fellows will usually reveal a big majority of inflatables. I think that there is a good reason for this.

Cheers,

Jim

find the hard dink.

Right at the back, there's a whaler with a large outboard off a large power boat.
Old 26-10-2011, 09:22   #41

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post

For bashing across the Pacific I would have thought that a 9' fibreglass would be the go, but I'm not sure they exist in America.
Walker Bay produce an 8 ft and a 10ft can be stand alone or with an inflatable bumper tube.

Walker Bay 8 | Walker Bay Boats | Inflatable Boats, Dinghy, Kayaks, Sailboats and Yacht Tenders
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 10:54   #42

Quote:
How much is this worth? CARIBE DL 11 TENDER WITH 30 HP HONDA 4-STROKE OUTBOARD AND VFH RADIO WITH COVER. This is my current tender and is way to big for the davits.

I am trying to sell it to get some money back and get a smaller tender.
WOW! surprised those davits havent buckled yet!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 11:00   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
How much is this worth? CARIBE DL 11 TENDER WITH 30 HP HONDA 4-STROKE OUTBOARD AND VFH RADIO WITH COVER. This is my current tender and is way to big for the davits.

I am trying to sell it to get some money back and get a smaller tender.
I wouldn't be too big if you put the engine on the rail mount first would it? That would be my solution.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 11:34   #44

Boat: L 34

Hi Jim Cate, Thanks for your objective opinions. Just shows ta go that we all have our own likes and dislikes. For the record ; I am 62 years old and have a 5 year circumnav; a Brisbane to Durban singlehanded; a 82 day non-stop Carribbean to Cape Town singlehanded ; and a 91 day non-stop Connecticut to Durban singlehanded. So I guess it all comes down to what lifts your skirt. I cannot abide inflatables, - period. I have done some serious cruising and prefer to do so as simply as possible.Those pics of a huge RIB and Honda O/Board. - - -Bwahaha. That's no ocean going rig. I cannot recall anchoring to suit my 8ft, 2hp/oars,limitations. The simpler you keep it, the more fun you'll have. And what hardship a wet ass ? ! !
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 12:05   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
Hi Jim Cate, Thanks for your objective opinions. Just shows ta go that we all have our own likes and dislikes. For the record ; I am 62 years old and have a 5 year circumnav; a Brisbane to Durban singlehanded; a 82 day non-stop Carribbean to Cape Town singlehanded ; and a 91 day non-stop Connecticut to Durban singlehanded. So I guess it all comes down to what lifts your skirt. I cannot abide inflatables, - period. I have done some serious cruising and prefer to do so as simply as possible.Those pics of a huge RIB and Honda O/Board. - - -Bwahaha. That's no ocean going rig. I cannot recall anchoring to suit my 8ft, 2hp/oars,limitations. The simpler you keep it, the more fun you'll have. And what hardship a wet ass ? ! !
As I said, I knew nothing about you or your cruising experience. You have developed a methodology that works for you, so good onya, mate. For your lengthy singlehanded passages (for which I compliment you) your dinghy choice seems appropriate. However, long solo passages do not represent the sort of dinghy use that most cruisers experience. You know, folks who cruise with crew (perhaps multiple bodies) and who hang about for lengthy periods in their cruising destinations. These activities can benefit from a larger dinghy. While you may not rue the" hardship of a wet ass", I've noticed that the Admiral tends to get grumpy when the laundry she just washed and dried ashore gets a wet one. Our mid-sized RIB with a mid-sized outboard seems to do better in this usage.

And as I understand things, the OP realized that the "huge RIB and..." was not appropriate, and was looking for alternatives. Your dislike of inflatables is ok by me... I was presenting an alternative view, based on my experiences.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
tender, yacht