Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2011, 20:37   #16

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
We only go with rigid dinghy and small outboard - 1 walker bay, 1 water tender, 2 kayaks and a 3.3 hp merc. Would have gone for a tinny, but couldn't find one in Florida. Your final choice depends on what you intend to do and your cruising style. Some cruisers drift across the oceans in their yachts and then scream across the anchorage in their dinghies. Others do 200 mile days on passage and then row ashore. Most are the former and few are the latter.

You want to be able to smash your dinghy across the rocks and leave it tied to a barnacle-encrusted wharf without worrying about it? Lift your OB out of the dinghy with one hand while there is a 1 m chop coming through? Be able to row when your OB dies?

Or plane at 20 knots and get places fast?

No correct answer, only compromises.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 21:00   #17
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Re: Tender for 40' Yacht ?

I have rowed inflatables before. Not fun, but possible. I like the idea of speed and range so that we can explore areas some distance from the boat which is why I have the requirement of planing.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 21:19   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

onmy 41 ft ketch i use a walker bay 8 and 2 kayaks. when i get another inflatable it will be a roll up and a small 2 stroke outboard.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 21:34   #19

Boat: Roberts Spray

Hi, we're cruising the east coast of OZ and have had a number of tenders over 4 years.

We started with a fibreglass tender (10') which came with the boat. It was heavy and unstable. We then bought a cheapish ebay inflatable with an inflatable keel which was fantastic and would plane with 2 adults with a 3hp. The tubes also make great fenders when coming alongside! If you're planning on staying around Bris these may work for you. The limitations are heat-you need to buy an inflatable that has been made with a glue that will withstand Oz heat. Most of the cheap ebay inflatables seem to be made in China and will come unstuck after a year or 2. Also you need to carry them over any hard surface.

We then went to a tinnie(3.8) whilst in Moreton Bay with a 15hp Yamaha. It planed easily, was incredibly stable with a false floor and was a great workhorse. Downside was weight (a little too heavy on the davitts). If we could have found a smaller tinnie that was rated for a 15hp we would have bought it, they are especially great for NQ (crocs and coral).

We then tried another fibreglass tender (cathedral hull) but it was unstable with a 15hp on the back.

So our tender now is a southern pacific 3.1 rib with alloy floor. It's rated to 15hp and it flies and is very stable. It hasn't got hypalon tubes but with pontoon covers it will probably last as long my research tells me.

As far as outboards, I know the parsun is becomming popular here ( I priced them recently in Maryborough and the 15 appeared to be more expensive than the yamaha, go figure) I'm really happy with our yam 15, but if I'd known the 9 was pretty much the same motor I would have gone for it.

Good luck with what you settle for
manateegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 21:45   #20
cruiser

Thanks mate. How much did you pay for your yam 15?
Old 24-10-2011, 22:51   #21
cruiser

I am leaning towards this. PCV mercury $1800 or plus $480 for CSM. 10' 2" 4 person 10hp max. I think the PVC will do. Thoughts?

Rigid Hull Inflatable (RIB) 10' 2"

What manufacturer makes a 8 or 10 hp that is not a derated higher power engine? Seems the weight difference is huge. I'm finding it difficult to find 2 stroke outboards in the USA. Are these becoming harder to sell due to emissions?
Old 25-10-2011, 02:57   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Why not a rigid dinghy and outboard from West Marine?

Rowable, sturdy...

For the price they may bring it to a store near you, fewer delivery hassles.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 04:16   #23

Boat: Sabre 425, 42 ft

Dennisail

You really need to think this one in reverse. Someone mentioned it depends on how you are going to use it and I couldn't agree more. Think where you are going to cruise and how you will use the dinghy then match it to your purchase -- I agree too, don't skimp here, buy the best dinghy you can afford as it will last and do you well.

I noticed you are in Australia -- I have cruised the Whitsundays where there are plenty of places to fish off the dinghy, go ashore to explore and gunkhole so a bigger rhib with solid floor and largish motor would be perfect. But the thing to consider is hauling the engine up to the cockpit rail -- are you going to install a davit for this? -- another thing hanging off the boat.

I live in the northeast of the US were we mostly go ashore, short distances for cocktails and to restock. We occasionally gunkhole, but only on good days. I have a 9'-4" zodiac with 3.5 hp. The motor doesn't get me far fast but I can haul it to the rail without a davit keeping the stern clean.

Good luck in your search.
BoxerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 04:42   #24
cruiser

Well my cruising ground will be from CA to Brisbane via the south pacific islands. I just want the smallest size that will be comfortable and will plane with 2 people and some cargo. I think I have found the best motor for the task. The Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke. http://www.tohatsu.com.au/content/m98b It weighs in at 26kg (58lbs) all the 4 strokes weigh in at 37kg (82lbs). The weight difference is substantial. The prob is I can not find the small 2 stroke engines in the USA. Can anyone tell me where I can get one?

Our boat has davits for a dingy.
Old 25-10-2011, 05:01   #25

I've had an 8 foot Porta Boat for ten years and love it.
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: REPORT FROM ANNAPOLIS: PART 5: A PORTA-BOTE IMPROVEMENT
It's light enough at about 50 lbs that I can bring it on board myself. I can carry it on bord folded or unfolded. Plus I can stand in it and fish. It rows much better than an inflatable too.
Old 25-10-2011, 05:54   #26

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Winterlude View Post
I'd quit thinking inexpensive and start thinking about when it's windy or rough, what would you rather go to shore in? And what would cause you to stay aboard & not go. Would you go a longer distance in whatever dink you choose to snorkel or explore? Would it make you nervous about your dinghy?

A phenomenal difference in the distance we felt comfortable exploring, how far away we'd snorkel and what beaches we'd pull the dinghy up on without being concerned about the bottom. If you're finding the money to go cruising, do NOT skimp on the dinghy. Just our opinion...
Agree. It really depends on what you're getting the dink for. If it's just to get out to your mooring anything will do. If you want to enjoy cruising, exploring, snorkeling, or lugging water and fuel get the biggest RIB you can and a decent sized 2 stroke.

Dinghy excursion in the Bahamas
Old 25-10-2011, 15:13   #27
cruiser

How much is this worth? CARIBE DL 11 TENDER WITH 30 HP HONDA 4-STROKE OUTBOARD AND VFH RADIO WITH COVER. This is my current tender and is way to big for the davits.

I am trying to sell it to get some money back and get a smaller tender.
Old 25-10-2011, 16:21   #28

Boat: Roberts Spray

The yamaha 15 was $2200 and weighs 35kg the same weight as the 9.9hp.
We appear to have the same davitts although we have had ours welded to the hull after the bolts were sheared in heavy seas.
manateegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 17:03   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

I would look for a rib and perhaps you can get a slightly less hp. But with the bigger engine you can simply go at less than full revs too.

Very often you can get a deal if you buy a 'package' - boat+engine at once.

The dink I liked most was our friends' Caribe Jockeyseat model - she had 15hp four stroke Yamaha and took 3 people (intimate!) to the shore in no time.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 17:31   #30
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

10' RIB, preferably with oversize tubes, and a 15hp outboard. Anything less is just less.

Tags
tender, yacht