Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2017, 20:07   #31

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Teak advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Very nice! Mine didn't come out nearly as uniform, but some of my surrounding wood was probably more deteriorated, as well as being marine ply vs. teak. That's my excuse anyway . . . might also have something to do with my (low) level of patience dealing with these more delicate types of onboard tasks.

Your portlight looks very similar to the ones on my 1986 Bristol, which are Bomar "extruded aluminum" models. One obvious difference, however, is that mine have the threaded screw-in type of dogs. I contacted Bomar (now part of Pompanette) a few years ago and, while my model had been discontinued, they still appeared on their website. Now I don't see them, but you might want to contact them directly. Here's what looks like the possible successor to mine if that helps:

Extruded Portlight - Pompanette, LLC

Believe it or not, I've also occasionally run across Bomar dogs and other sundry Bomar items at West Marine, but it seems hit or miss.
Really appreciate that info, Exile. I had thought they were Bomars, but couldn't find anything in their catalog that looked like what I needed except the gaskets. I'll give them a call. I've also be scouring my local chandlery. I found a spare portlight with the dogs I need but the screws are corroded into the housing and can't get them off. I should probably start another thread for that. I can get a hold of an impact driver. I wonder if that would work?

gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 22:21   #32

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I found a spare portlight with the dogs I need but the screws are corroded into the housing and can't get them off. I should probably start another thread for that. I can get a hold of an impact driver. I wonder if that would work?
If the housing is aluminum with stainless steel screws then it could be a bear to get them out. I'm no expert but have had a lot of trouble with this same scenario. First off, I'd douse them with PB Blaster or a similar penetrating solvent and let them soak overnight or even a couple of days. From your pics it looks like the fasteners are Allen/hex heads which can be easier to deal with than Phillips or slotted. An electric or pneumatic impact driver might work but there's an increased risk of stripping. Might be better to at least start with one of the "old school" impact wrenches which you hit with a hammer. They're also pretty inexpensive to buy. Failing all that you might have to try & drill them out and use one of the many "easy-out" devices that are available online or at the hardware stores. Drilling SS is a PITA and you'll need cobalt drill bits (have spares) and cutting oil. As you can probably tell, been there done that . . . with mixed success.

Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 18:53   #33

Boat: Luger Tradewinds 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Lee, what did you end up doing with your interior and how did it turn out? There seems to be so many opinions (surprise!) and I'm pretty sure I have an oiled interior, too. I have pulled all the portlights because they have been leaking. Whoever cut the openings made them all about 1/8" too big all around. On another portlight that has already been repaired, I sanded lightly and oiled it, but it remains discolored. Did I just need to oil more? I have bought a stain that closely matches so was thinking of staining first and then oiling. Thoughts? Attached is a picture of the worse area, but the window on the right also shows some mold in the wood that I still need to clean.
Hi. Apparently I have neglected looking through my thread in a while. Sorry about that. I have not touched the teak yet but am now ready to add this to my winter project list. Will be on it really soon.
leefromcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 19:16   #34

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
Anyone who paints exotic hardwood should be flogged, keel hauled, and THEN hanged!!
Second that. Hey why not just put a pergo snap together floor on top. Ugghhhh. Well what do you expect when now its excepted to call below, downstairs and the galley the kitchen, the head the bathroom and a stateroom the bedroom. OOOFFFAAAAAAA. As Buford T Justice said " what the hell is the world coming to?"
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 16:34   #35

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

oops wrong accepted lol.

Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak