Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 19:39   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to haydenw
Tayana 52 or 55

Hello to everyone. We are adventurous couple in our early 50's looking to circumnavigate in a couple of years. The idea is to buy now and spend a few years sailing locally before heading off. Have looked at center cockpit Tayana 55's and both center and aft cockpit Tayana 52's... any suggestions. My early thoughts are: the 55's have higher freeboard and does this equate to drier ? Both boats seem like they are built strong and up to a few circles of the globe - although there are far more upmarket interiors available at a price - Hylas / Taswell etc.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts. Also, any experience with centerboard Bristol 48'-54' designs for serious offshore cruising.

Fairwinds to all,
Hayden
Old 02-10-2006, 21:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Hayden .. welcome to the forum. What background do you have with sailboats. Do you intend to double hand the boat, or have crew? New or used? Where ae you currently (as to the evaluation of the 'local cruising'). Lots and lots of questions. And, you'll get lots and lots of answer that aren't probably of interest. You may want to be a bit more specific. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2006, 21:53   #3

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
tayana 55

I just got back 3 days ago from delivering one from Tahiti to NZ. Overall opinion was decidedly average, mind you this was an old one that hadn't been well maintained.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:09   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to haydenw
Hi Thomas

I have limited sailing experience - all in Etchells 22s. We are fully aware of what we have ahead of us to learn but are 2 very capable people. We will sail as a couple most of the time, with our family and friends joining for short cruises. I would envisage a boat of 48-55' with maybe Leisure Furl or in-mast furling and a few electric winches to lighten the physical stuff. I am an Aussie, but we have a business in Tulsa, so are looking to purchase on either East or West coast US. New boats in the size range are probably outside our budget, and we are well aware of the cost of upgrading used boats to suit the intended purpose. As far as layout goes, we want 2 double cabins plus maybe one up/down berth cabin to accommodate expected visitors and family. I don't really have preference for aft or center cockpit, although center seems to yield comfortable aft cabin arrangements.

I have looked at a couple of Bristols from 47.7 to 54.4 and whilst they are beautifully constructed boats, I do not know enough about their ofshore sailing abilities (with centerboard) to comment further. I am also aware from all I have read that draft and manouverability in tight marinas can be issues that should be addressed. I guess a bow thruster would help but surely keel and skeg design play a role in how easy a boat is to handle (especially when reversing).

I appreciate all comments as I am well aware of the limitations of my experience and am open to learn from those who have been doing this for decades.

Regards
Hayden
Old 03-10-2006, 08:58   #5

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
Why not contract the designer for 'consultation', etc.

If youre keen on the Tayana offered designs you might want to consider contracting (for fee) Bob Perry to help you evaluate, etc. an older Ty52 (He designed it) or even the Ty55/58.

www.perryboat.com
http://www.perryboat.com/page/consult

He will have the specific knowledge of how these boats have held-up over time, what upgrades, etc. would be necessary, etc. and most importantly what you would need to do to bring the boat up to 'spec.' for your intended circimnavigation / passagemaking. He's pretty self-critical of his (and others) past designs .... would be money well spent.
Old 03-10-2006, 14:24   #6

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I'd consider the Bristol a much higher quality boat. I hate telling people what boat to buy but here goes. In your situation I would go smaller, simpler and higher quality in the same budget. Otherwise you'll spend all your cruising time and money maintaining and repairing systems that aren't essential anyway. Look at Halberg Rassey, an old Swan, or if you're an Aussie look for NZ one offs. In that price bracket be prepared to look globally, good deals in places people give up, Panama, Fiji, NZ and Aus.
Old 20-10-2006, 13:44   #7

Hi everyone. We are looking at purchasing a Tayana '55 mid 80's model. Being a large volume boat, we were wondering how they handle in regards to the wind to boat speed ratio etc, and any construction and mainantence issues.
Old 20-10-2006, 14:37   #8
cruiser

The only input I'd have is that they would be s.....l.....o.....w.........

I also agree that the Bristol is a bit higher on the construction quality scale and that the large Tayana will be a bit of boat to handle. We have a 45' Hirsh Gulfstar that's selling right now and I wouldn't go much larger than this (if at all) if you plan to single hand.
Old 20-10-2006, 18:16   #9

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
A Tayana 55 slow?????? Sean- you HAVE to be confusing a Tayana with some 'slug' type boat.
PHRF rating of a Ty55 is 54
Your boat is PHRF 120

54/120 = .45 ..... meaning the Ty55 will be returned back to it's slip before your boat reaches the first mark. <grin>
Old 20-10-2006, 22:11   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Hayden,
My opinion is that you are looking at a boat that is 20 feet too long.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Old 21-10-2006, 04:43   #11
cruiser

Whoops! Sorry Richhh. You're right. I was confusing the Tayana 55 with the shorter Tayanas - a la full keel and slower. My mistake!
Closed Thread