Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 13:14   #1

Boat: 50 Bene
Tayana 52/55?

Hi Y'all

So as the admiral and I are navigating the road to boat ownership we have been straying away from our desire of a 40+ foot cat and are starting to look at a few monohulls as well. Mostly it is a financial factor, as we can afford to buy a larger older monohull now rather than save for longer and purchase a cat in a few years. Many things are driving this decision purchase price, dockage, and making it cruising ready.

I troll yacht world constantly and have noticed a few center cockpit Tayanas that I think could be had for a price well within our budget and that appear to be pretty well set for cruising right away i.e. genset, ac, solar, wind etc. My question to you is are these mid to late '80s a good value. Any thing we should know about good or bad? I like the large center cockpit, large foredeck and lazarette etc. What should we be looking for before we start flying out to see them.

Thanks in advance
Will
Clipper4730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 14:06   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
First of all I must confess to my bias toward Tayanas. I have a 1989 Tayana Vancouver 42 aft cockpit and I am extremely please with the boat. The build quality is excellent. Everything is top quality and over built. Even though I am the third owner of a 14 year old boat I have had good support from the builder. I get compliments on the boat wherever we go. If I were to upgrade to a boat in the 52 to 58 size range I would definitely consider another Tayana. I do like the center cockpit versions with the aft stateroom and the sugar scoop swim platform. My boat is a double ender. I like the looks but it limits cockpit space, makes davits difficult and makes you board from the side. Tayana Owners Group is a good resource for you to check out. Good luck with your search.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 14:21   #3
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Tayana 52/55?

Make sure the teak does not leak
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 15:05   #4
cruiser

First, Look at a few that are close by to make sure it's what you want. Set aside at least 20% of the total purchase price for repairs and upgrades that you'll need to do immediately following the purchase. No matter how well the boat surveys, there will be necessary expensive repairs. Tayana makes a good boat, but used boats... any used boat can be full of surprises.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 16:55   #5

Boat: Tayana 52
I have recently purchased a 1990 Tayana 52 aft cockpit and love it - no teak decks but plenty of quality timber inside. Although a little deep at 6'6" and too tall for the ICW at 72' it is a world class cruiser. Pound for pound it was the best boat on the market when we looked.
The Tayana Owners Group is a Google group which is joined by application, not an open forum.
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 17:17   #6
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
My question to you is are these mid to late '80s a good value. Any thing we should know about good or bad? I like the large center cockpit, large foredeck and lazarette etc. What should we be looking for before we start flying out to see them.

Thanks in advance
Will
allow me to expand my cellphone answer.
the 80's tayanas are great values. built very solidly. we crashed a dock, HARD, and just scrapped off some fiberglass. we went 10' onto it. they are true 7 seas boats. The best deals are the units that need work.
honestly if you know it has new, sails, engine, electrical, then you can trust it for a long time to come. the best way to know, is to replace them yourself.

best of luck, i have heard of a tayana 55 going for 80,000 that had leaking teak. this was two years ago.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote