Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-01-2012, 15:21   #1

Tayana 42 vs. Kelly Peterson 44

I've been looking for a boat going on a year now and had decided that without a doubt I wanted a Tayana 42 Center Cockpit. I found nothing that even compared to it in my budget ($100,000) until I heard about the Kelly Peterson 44. I've read reviews and articles about her but never actually seen one in person. I'm looking for every and all opinions on both boats, good or bad. My needs? Bluewater cruising with the ability to single hand comfortably when needed.

Old 17-01-2012, 23:25   #2

Re: Tayana 42 vs. Kelly Peterson 44

I used to own a Peterson 44 for about 8 years. I also delivered one from Honolulu to San Diego. I did upwind deliveries on a Tayana 37(old clapped out boat) and a Tayana 47(brand new). I have never been on , or even seen a T 42 so I cant comment on them but from my limited experience I think the Peterson sailed much better than the 2 Tayanas that I sailed on. The things to look out for on a Peterson are anything made of stainless steel. The Taiwan boats (all of them) are famous for poor quality SS. Maybe the newer ones are better. On the Peterson I replaced about half of the chain plates and made a number of epoxy patches on the water tanks. I think this is typical of any older Taiwan boat, but the plus side of the Peterson is that it sailed like a dream and was a very nice live aboard. It gets a high rating from me.____Grant.

Old 18-01-2012, 11:53   #3

Thanks for the reply Grant.
Old 19-01-2012, 01:28   #4

Boat: Peterson 46

Well, we have done a couple of miles in our 46' Peterson - still the dream boat - speed, safety, comfort, stowability for all junk.

The 44' is very similar in most aspects and you would be very happy.

Also a pretty boat
Old 19-01-2012, 12:32   #5

The 46 foot Peterson was made by a different company and had a slightly different style of woodwork down below. They are both beautiful. The 46 had one thing I liked better than my 44, in that it had a deep bilge sump in the rear of the engine compartment. The bilge in my 44 was a little too shallow for my tastes. I think that the 46s were sold under a different name due to some legal dispute. Maybe rusky can answer that? Again , I say (A Wonderful Boat)___Grant.
Old 19-01-2012, 13:11   #6

The Tayana V-42 was designed by Robert Harris, the T-37 by Bob Perry, the 47?? The only comparison that can be made between different Tayanas is their manufacturing quality. tinpusher I suppose you have already seen my recent posts in the Monohull thread about the V-42 for sale in Florida - you'll need to be specific if you would like additional information. Even though I am owned by a V-42 I do not feel qualified to give you much help because I have never seen a Kelly Peterson 44. I can say though that many of us single-hand our V-42s, and it is a delightful boat to sail. Every boat I see makes me love my boat even more.
Old 19-01-2012, 13:41   #7

Boat: Peterson 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
The 46 foot Peterson was made by a different company and had a slightly different style of woodwork down below. They are both beautiful. The 46 had one thing I liked better than my 44, in that it had a deep bilge sump in the rear of the engine compartment. The bilge in my 44 was a little too shallow for my tastes. I think that the 46s were sold under a different name due to some legal dispute. Maybe rusky can answer that? Again , I say (A Wonderful Boat)___Grant.
There are Kelly [fitted out] petersons [designer] 46's and;
Formosa Petersons which are same mold and boat, fitted out by local craftsmen (similar fitout to the 44'] and my 46 is a Hillier fitout - far better finish and quality teak - however, still a peterson hull.

[Hearsay only] Peterson apparently flew to Australia to sue Hillier. Hillier passed away shortly after, so the law suit went no further and no more Hilliers were fitted out.

A 'spindrift' in the usa I think is basically a Hillier Peterson.

The majority of KP 44's were built for the US charter market.

All are solid and dependable.
Old 19-01-2012, 16:15   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Tayana a very nice thing. Looked one up in out. It seems a bit soft though.

b.
Old 19-01-2012, 21:42   #9

My Peterson was actually a Stevens Yacht 44 which was the charter version of the regular Peterson 44. It did not have teak decks (thank heaven) and it had 250 gals of water which was way more than my wife and I needed. The excess water cut into the storage a little but was still plenty roomy. I had been on a Formosa 46 ,but had never heard of the Spindrift or the Hillier. That makes 5 versions of the same boat. I suspect that they all sail very well since it was one of Doug Petersons best designs._____Grant.
Old 19-01-2012, 22:27   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

I don't have any hands on with the Tayana; but I did live aboard a KP 44 for about 4 weeks last winter.
I have nothing but good things to say about the KP 44.
The first test is "does it look right?", you bet!
Very comfortable at anchor and underway, with a big space feel below, and everything in the right place with a classic warm feel. I don't recall any bad ergonomics and things like handholds, winches, cleats, etc. just seemed to be in the right places. The layout/construction provides pretty good access to components and I especially liked the machinery space plan that permits/encourages inspection and routine maintenance.
The deck layout is functional, comfortable and safe and I would be very willing to take the KP 44 anywhere, very stable in a seaway and good manners on the hook.
She was a goer on all points.
Do, however, check the rig/chainplates carefully. Most are pretty easy to get to with only minor effort.
They are definitely worth a look.
Old 19-01-2012, 23:42   #11

IIRC the KP 44 had balsa core decks and the KP 46 had some sort of foam core, a big issue in an older boat
Old 20-01-2012, 22:38   #12

I have to admit that I didnt know that my 44 had a balsa cored deck. It was solid as a rock and I never worried about it. I have been on a few boats that had decks like a trampoline and didnt buy one because I was worried about the repairs needed. Learn a little everyday.___Grant.
Old 21-01-2012, 00:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I have to admit that I didnt know that my 44 had a balsa cored deck. It was solid as a rock and I never worried about it. I have been on a few boats that had decks like a trampoline and didnt buy one because I was worried about the repairs needed. Learn a little everyday.___Grant.
I'm pretty sure the KP44 decks are plywood core. I had the teak decks on mine removed and found glass with nonskid and very solid decks underneath, very happy to find that. They were built in Taiwan and I doubt they used balsa there in the late 70's.

The KP44 is simply a great voyaging boat in every way. Wonderful sailing boat and very comfortable at sea. Most likely trouble spots are water and fuel tanks (assuming they have not yet been replaced). And be sure the genoa tracks are ok, mine had to be re-seated.

Owner's website is Peterson Cutter Website - Welcome. Lots of great info, pics, etc there and on the associated mailing list.
Old 21-01-2012, 01:50   #14

My apologies, the KP44 decks have ply cores.
Cruising World Boat Review: Peterson 44.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:51   #15

Boat: Just sold 38' Creekmore

I was looking at a Formosa 46 (and even made a bid for it) which led me to do some research on the differences between the KP boats and the Formosas.
this was prompted, in part, by analising sales of these boats over the last 5/10 years which tended to suggest that KP's had higher resale values.
Having spoken to Doug I can say the following.
Jack (Kelly) built and Doug (Peterson) designed the KP's.
Subsequently Formosa produced the Formosa 46 and in order to justify not paying any royalties apparently made , perhaps structural, changes which are not so obvious externally and they're v construction methods/standards are not likely to be up to Jack's.
Hence , as I understand it Doug does not want his name used in connection with any Formosa products.
So there is no such animal as the Peterson 46, only KP 44 & 46 OR Formosa 46.

According to Wikipedia,
"
Designed for Jack Kelly Yachts, the Peterson 44 debuted in 1976. This boat was a pioneer in performance cruising yacht design and one can still see many of the over 200 built in ports around the world.[3] The design was followed by the Kelly Peterson 46 of which 30 were built, hull number 30, the last one built, is currently circumnavigating the globe; this hull design was also used for the Liberty 458 and the Delta 46.
The Formosa 46, or "cheaterson", is an enlarged copy of the Kelly Peterson 44, and is referred to as a cheaterson by the yachting community because Doug Peterson did not get any royalties for the design."

As for the Spindrift.............

Duncan

Tags
peterson

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: