Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 18:04   #1

Tarting up the salon ceiling?

I just visited a Catalina 38 and noticed that the ceiling in the salon was a vast expanse of white fiber glass, which seemed very stark in an otherwise nice interior....I have seen Hunters that have some sort of headliner which sagged and did not seem durable....any suggestions as to improving the general ambiance of the ceiling???
pwilletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 18:10   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Tarting up the salon ceiling?

Apply the faux metal ceiling tin they have at Home Depot.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 18:22   #3

When I first saw this title, I could only think:

MIRRORS

just like the mobos do

I have a horrible ceiling just like that in my living room and bedroom on my boat, even in the kitchen, but my saloon, berth and galley will survive if I get the terminology right, eventually...

A "real" answer: thank your bloody living stars that you have something so well designed that it's easy to keep clean and won't collapse on you. Wow, Simple Green goes a loooooong way.

Ach, tarts.

We all need more tarts.

Don't we?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 19:17   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I like the idea of a painted mural...like the Sistine Chapel. Get a good graffiti artist who paints on walls...like Michelangelo. Should last a few years.😇😙

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 19:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilletts View Post
I just visited a Catalina 38 and noticed that the ceiling in the salon was a vast expanse of white fiber glass...
Was it a Catalina 38 or a Catalina 380, or 387?

Completely different boats.
Old 09-01-2016, 19:56   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

I'm curious who the hell was in charge of designing headliners?!?! They're completely dysfunctional and useless as far as I can tell. I'm thinking of pulling all my headliner off so I can access the deck bolts, then paint the "ceiling" white so it just kinda passes for respectable.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 20:31   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I'm curious who the hell was in charge of designing headliners?!?! They're completely dysfunctional and useless as far as I can tell. I'm thinking of pulling all my headliner off so I can access the deck bolts, then paint the "ceiling" white so it just kinda passes for respectable.
Gamayun,

That should work fine, it will look quite light--nice and fresh, plus ditching the headliner makes it easier to trace the sources of leaks, too.

We painted the overhead on our PJ (Standfast 36) semi-gloss white. Used latex based paint. Like for a bathroom in a house. It worked fine and lasted till some time after we sold the boat.

We also painted the interior of the lockers with it (makes it easier to see stuff in them). You need the hardness of the semi-gloss so you can scrub it if need be, due to lantern smoke runaways, rust stains, or??????

Cheers.

Ann
Old 09-01-2016, 22:06   #8

Yes..I knew this would raise the ceiling in protest...))..nonetheless it seems like a light contrasting beige might break up the vastness of the white......just saying..
Old 09-01-2016, 22:12   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I installed a floral rose pattern oilcloth, actually a tablecloth roll from Mexico (it was inexpensive) in the v-berth of the Rose. Lovely and a delight to sleep under. Still pondering adding some to the salon. That would be a bit of a job though what with drilling the plugs out of the wood battens and all.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 22:13   #10

It was actually a 387..sorry
Old 09-01-2016, 23:02   #11

Perhaps some definitions might be in order here.

1. Catalina "headliners" were essentially an "inside skin" underneath the plywood core below the cabintop/coach house exterior; nicely finished fiberglass, cleanable and easy

2. Many other boats used fabric or other material between battens---some sagged horribly and regularly, others were well designed

3. Most newer boats have neither, just the inside of the exterior fiberglass, some finished differently than others
Old 09-01-2016, 23:54   #12

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

1. Catalina "headliners" were essentially an "inside skin" underneath the plywood core below the cabintop/coach house exterior; nicely finished fiberglass, cleanable and easy

2. Many other boats used fabric or other material between battens---some sagged horribly and regularly, others were well designed

3. Most newer boats have neither, just the inside of the exterior fiberglass, some finished differently than others
Would it be too risque to ask if people would post pictures of #3 showing the undersides of their cabins or whatever the unadorned fiberglass is called? Mine has vinyl glued over large thin wood panels and then held in place with long pieces of trim along the sides and running across the middle. A total PITA to remove, but it certainly looks nice and clean.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:41   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

While we are talking definitions, could we please all learn the difference between a salon and a saloon?

Saloon:
(British) The most common body style for modern cars, with a boot or trunk. (US) A tavern, especially in an American Old West setting.
(British|dated) A lounge bar in an English public house, contrasted with the public bar.
The cabin area of a boat or yacht devoted to seated relaxation, often combined with dining table.
(rail transport) the part of a rail carriage or multiple unit containing seating for passengers.

Salon:
a large room, especially one used to receive and entertain guests
a gathering of people for a social or intellectual meeting
an art gallery
a beauty salon or similar establishment
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:43   #14

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35

By way of definitions the underside of the coach roof is referred to as the overhead. The ceiling in a yacht refers to the
covering (often wood battans) that cover the interior sides of the hull.
msrcal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:12   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Home built steel 78 foot sloop in the yard has very high overhead. I can't reach it hands up. He has a large non-opening deck opening with a stained glass mosaic themed in flowers & nicely-nippled mermaids. It is surrounded by a back lighted stained glass shadow box. Sorry, no photos. An alternative might be to have the figure pole dancing around the mast.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salon