Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2012, 10:05   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako
No idea for sure... depends on condition. The mega 30, Tarten ten, Aprodite 101's seem nearly impossible to sell from what I've seen... probably due to deterioration. I turned down a Mega 30 with all the bells and whistles (no trailer) in 2011, inlcuding two sets of racing sails and outboard 4hp motor. One set of North sails had been used lightly one season. Upholstery had been garage stored mostly since new to save weight. original owner 90 years old, boat sat unsed for at least 3 years, grass 6" long on bottom, quarter sized blisters visible. Spiders in residence! $1000
Upppssss... No I understand why I get it for free.
Thanks a lot for all the info .....
Thousand thanks
pcloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 10:10   #17

Re: Tartan ten - bluewater ?

Dont let me discourage you too much, just sayin'... not really a cruiser... flat out lightweight racer, some great deals out there on cruising boats now. If you want to sail a fun boat and the hull is good then go for it! Cross the gulf stream on a rough day?... not me!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 10:28   #18

One thing i've learned while looking for boats is that there is no such thing as a free one.

At the very least the responsibility falls on you to pay to have it hauled off if its not worth it to fix...or find someone else who is willing to take a "free" boat.
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 10:39   #19

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

You realize that this boat does not have standing headroom.

Maybe the boat I crewed on racing was a fluke, maybe built on a Friday so not indicative, but the fiberglass mount in the cabin that the shrouds attach to started to pull off of the hull. Did not inspire confidence.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 11:04   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Great one-designer for all the reasons it's not a great cruiser. It's light (6,700 lbs displacement), has a low profile, and is extremely wet.

The fact that it was designed without a head should tell you something.
Old 19-07-2012, 11:20   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

One just finished the Single Handed Transpac, Slacker | Singlehanded Transpac

I've thought about doing some single handing in a Tartan 10 as they are such sweet sailing boats. Most require too much work/modification, however, to get in shape for ocean sailing. No matter how you slice it, cruising in one will be spartan but you should have very quick passages especially if forced to go to weather. First thing I'd do would be to design a fixed dodger/dog house to get rid of that huge sliding hatch and give you some headroom. If the boat is free or very cheap, it would make a difference in my enthusiasm.

There was an attempt to revive production with a much more cruiser oriented deck a few years ago. Haven't heard anything about that boat recently, though.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 11:32   #22

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
One just finished the Single Handed Transpac, Slacker | Singlehanded Transpac

I've thought about doing some single handing in a Tartan 10 as they are such sweet sailing boats. Most require too much work/modification, however, to get in shape for ocean sailing. No matter how you slice it, cruising in one will be spartan but you should have very quick passages especially if forced to go to weather. First thing I'd do would be to design a fixed dodger/dog house to get rid of that huge sliding hatch and give you some headroom. If the boat is free or very cheap, it would make a difference in my enthusiasm.

There was an attempt to revive production with a much more cruiser oriented deck a few years ago. Haven't heard anything about that boat recently, though.
Google LS10 for the one with a cabin house.

Using single handed transpac as an indicator will also point you to using offshore:

Cal 20
Moore 24
Merit 25
Olson 30
Pogo 2
Hobie 33
Wilderness 21
Santana 22

All nice boats, but not what I would go cruising in.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote