Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 07:36   #1

Tartan 4400 as a Caribbean liveaboard?

I am not sure of the direction I'm going to be heading in the future regarding the type of boat I'll settle upon (I'm pretty methodical in my approach), and have been looking at sail catamarans, power catamarans, trawlers, monohull sailboats, and power LRCs. The plan is to begin living on it full time in 3-4 years. I'm 60 today, and "may" have a another person on the boat who is 65 today (the "may" part is another story. I will be there..... She may not be).

Within each category, I've got a short list - except for the monohull sailboats. Here I'm struggling with all the choices in designs (cutter vs. sloop, vs. ketch, vs.......).

One of the boats that keeps drawing my brain back to is this Tartan 4400. I really like the lines and looks of this boat.

Is this a boat that a single person can sail, or is it a two-man boat?

Is this something that would provide enough space for 2 people to live on for ~ 5 years or so, sailing FL coastal, Bahamas, ICW, Eastern Caribbean down to ABC?

I've searched the forum for info on Tartan 4400 and found some, but have other questions, with lots more questions to follow.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 07:23   #2

Re: Tartan 4400 as a Caribbean liveaboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
I am not sure of the direction I'm going to be heading in the future regarding the type of boat I'll settle upon (I'm pretty methodical in my approach), and have been looking at sail catamarans, power catamarans, trawlers, monohull sailboats, and power LRCs. The plan is to begin living on it full time in 3-4 years. I'm 60 today, and "may" have a another person on the boat who is 65 today (the "may" part is another story. I will be there..... She may not be).

Within each category, I've got a short list - except for the monohull sailboats. Here I'm struggling with all the choices in designs (cutter vs. sloop, vs. ketch, vs.......).

One of the boats that keeps drawing my brain back to is this Tartan 4400. I really like the lines and looks of this boat.

Is this a boat that a single person can sail, or is it a two-man boat?

Is this something that would provide enough space for 2 people to live on for ~ 5 years or so, sailing FL coastal, Bahamas, ICW, Eastern Caribbean down to ABC?

I've searched the forum for info on Tartan 4400 and found some, but have other questions, with lots more questions to follow.
I realize this post is dated, but I just stumbled on it. We bought a 4400 this year with the intent ultimately to use it as a liveaboard as you contemplate. We've only been sailing her for a few months on the waters of the Chesapeake Bay, but so far we are very pleased. She sails we'll and with all of the winches powered, it could definitely be done single-handed, though as with any boat this size, the extra hands definitely help.

The interior space is amazing and very comfortable. I love the layout of the galley and the saloon. Tremendous storage -- you wouldn't even have to sacrifice the aft cabin. Plenty of room for two people and temporarily 4. Even enough room to escape from one another if things get testy.

Anyway, that's my endorsement of your thoughts. Happy to answer specific questions if you have them.

One other thing to consider is that some/all of these boats were built at a bad time for Tartan and if you get a boat that should have a hull warranty, I would not count on it. The current owners bought the company out of bankruptcy and explicitly did not take on warranty liability. That said, the boats are well built (all epoxy) and not likely to have significant issues. Also, Tartan has been very supportive in our interaction with them and the new owners very much seem to care about the positive image of the brand.

Good luck.
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 18:16   #3

Boat: Tartan T4400
Re: Tartan 4400 as a Caribbean liveaboard?

tcpip95
I to own a 4400 for two people the boat would be a great live aboard. Both cabins are large and have plenty of storage. Some hulls the salon table drops to a berth adding space for 2 people to sleep.
The boat sails really well with a full mail and 135% genoa. I am cutter rig but rarely use it. Also I have not used the asym much.
One person can sail the boat, when tacking they won't be smart and clean tacks. You would want the electric winches. My wife and I sail the boat with no problems we do wake the other person up to tack or jibe just to keep thing simple. If you want to single hand I would stick to a sloop or cutter rig.
I really like the raised salon as it lets a lot of light in so you do not feel like you are in a cave.
The ventilation is great with all of the opening ports.
One draw back is the master berth is forward so it is not real usable on a long crossing. Also you can heard the anchor chain drag across rock if you are in a rocky anchorage.
As Challo says Tartan did have some issues with build quality at one point in time so it would be best to get a survey before purchasing.

Challo
Sent you a PM.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, liveaboard, rib