Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 19:34   #16

Boat: None.
Re: Tartan 41 Purchase

Thanks for soulful video!
jon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 09:02   #17

Eric- which T41 in Maine did you buy? Know the hull number?.. I have # 59 (1974) with centerboard and traditional transom (called a T43).. Have had it about 7 years. Enjoy yours- feel free to contact as I can point you to some normal fixes. Tim (Northstar T43/CB #59) Stratford, Ct--& Maine
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 14:34   #18
T41

Boat: Tartan S&S, T41, 41'

Hi Maine 50,

Nice to meet you. Thanks for your support.

I bought "Adhara" which is T41 hull # 81 built in 1975. She is one of the last few --already built with the heavier/extended keel upgrade. The seller took very nice care of maintaining and upgrading her ... and I hope we can as well of a job as he did.

The big items that sold me were: hull barrier coated (preventative only), hull (re)faired (including beefing-up the keel joint), hull (re) Awlgripped, straight and shiny keel-bolts, freshly painted decks (last year), a hydraulic backstay, a custom Charleston Spare boom, a carbon fiber spinny pole, Raymarine touchscreen (last year) networked with below-cockpit auto-pilot, a very nice sail wardrobe, Simrad AIS tranponder,Raymarine VHF, repowerd with a Yanmar diesel ~5 years ago with < 1000 hours, nice canvas.

She has a little moisture near each chain-plate to monitor, and the cutlass bearing (6 years old) has some slight play --but both very manageable. To me the nicest feature of all might be having births to sleep (8) so plenty of friends can join us cruising.

The prior owner won his class in the 2011 Newport-Bermuda 1-2 race with her ... so I know she's seaworthy. We are not that ambitious, and I just plan to do some (fast) regional cruising for now. I've always loved these hulls and our delivery down from ME to MA didn't disappoint ;-)

TTYL,
Eric
T41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 17:53   #19

I have a picture of "Adhara" on my desktop. Just because I don't have a good picture of the Tartan 41 "Outragious" to use. I acquired her last fall and didn't have a chance to put her in the water. You have a beautiful boat. I have a question, do you know who makes the boarding ladder on your boat? Thanks
killieman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 21:07   #20
TFR

Boat: Tartan 41

Hi Killieman54....

I think I saw your boat on the cover of a magazine - perhaps "Sailing". She has red topsides and a modified companionway? My boat was built in 1973 and I believe it might be hull #3 but I am not sure (I bought her one year ago and she is till on the hard - as they say). She appears to have the original keel and draws approximately 6.80'. Some of the earlier boats were modified with a "lead boot" that was attached to the bottom of the keel adding several inches to the draft and a few hundred extra pounds. Not sure if my boat has the "boot". Latter, a completely new keel with straighter lines was designed to fit the original keel bolt pattern extending the draft to around 7' and adding extra weight. It is pretty obvious that this enhanced the overall performance...so I already have a bad case of keel envy.... but I am seeing a therapist and I think I will be okay.

Not sure what you mean by "boarding ladder". I have seen several T41's with swim ladders mounted on the stern pulpit that fold up and out of the way when not in use. My boat does not have one, but I would be interested in installing one.

Your boat sounds like it is well quipped. I have a long way to go... my boat does not even have roller furling!

Best of luck with the boat and please keep in touch.

Cheers,
Tom Regan
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:01   #21

Thanks for the quick reply. The boat you saw on the mag was not mine. Mine has a white hull and white topside with light brownish safety treads. All of the winch covers, pedestal cover, boom cover, etc are in jockey red. My boat was built in 1973 also. Her hull number is 17. By the way the Michigan SOS gave me all kinds of trouble because the title only said 17 on it. Does your title have additional info on it? Had to give them a letter that if I ever found any additional information on the hull, I would resubmit the title.

The ladder I was referring to is the transom mount, folding ladder one like on "Adhara". Sorry, somehow I miss read the forum and thought you owned "Adhara". I scoured the internet and beginning to think they were custom fabricated.

Sounds like we have some of the same issues to deal with. I have a couple of small soft spots to deal with also. But all in all I think I was very fortunate to get her.

Keep in touch

Francis "Butch" Smith
killieman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:33   #22
T41

Boat: Tartan S&S, T41, 41'

Hello Killieman54,

I co-own "Adhara" which we bought last Fall. We sailed her down to Boston (dock to dock) in late October ... As we didn't snag any pots, we didn't do any swimming off the transom ladder that late in the season. The next time I check-in on her I can see if there are any markings on the transom ladder. Or maybe the prior owner has some info he can share. Just as an FYI: We actually unfolded the ladder once she was blocked up. It unfolds via (2) joints ... and it extends well below the waterline. Based on how our transom is oriented in the yard, we actually lashed a couple pieces of strapping and mounted a solar panel on this ladder --at a perfect angle for the sun's low arc all winter. This has kept 6x batteries 100% pegged during the layup. So if you get one, that could be a something to try.

Eric
T41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 10:44   #23
TFR

Hi Butch - Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to "Adhara" and I think I replied to the wrong post.

I am in the process of repainting the hull on my boat and have several coats of Epoxy Primekote on the topsides. I also stripped the bottom and have applied 6 or 7 coats of Interprotect 2000E and one coat of ACT anti-fouling. My plan is to sail the boat to a yard closer to home and then finish painting the topsides, etc....

Please let me know what projects your working on and how you plan to tackle the deck problem. So many systems on this boat need up-grading that I am not sure where to start.... even the rudder stops seem to be missing.

Is your keel modified or the original?

Great boats...

Thanks for your reply.

Tom Regan
Old 13-03-2014, 11:34   #24

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Skanlyn,

What a beautiful boat! It is amazing what some hard work and TLC can do with a boat. She's a beauty, enjoy!

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 18:57   #25
TFR

What tool would you recommend for tightening the keel bolt nuts on a 1973 Tartan 41? Also, any thoughts on the torque? Thanks, Tom
Old 06-06-2014, 11:37   #26

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFR View Post
What tool would you recommend for tightening the keel bolt nuts on a 1973 Tartan 41? Also, any thoughts on the torque? Thanks, Tom

Contact Art Averill at Tartan Yachts. He is a fount of knowledge (and parts) for the early Tartans.
David
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 18:34   #27

Tom- just curious, why do you think you need to tighten your keel bolts? Tim- Northstar --Tartan 41/43 (Stratford, Ct)
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase