Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 19:38   #31
TFR

Boat: Tartan 41
Re: Tartan 41 = Money Pit?

Bob..... Do you have any advice on the best tool to tighten the keel bolt nuts on a 1973 T-41 and the approximate torque? Are the nuts 1 1/2" or slightly larger? Thanks Tom
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 19:47   #32

Boat: Able 50

The tool is a huge ratchet spanner with a handle around 3 - 4 ft long and every full service boatyard will have one. It will only work with the boat on land and sitting on the keel.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 19:55   #33
TFR

Thanks for the reply.... I know that some owners have made their own by using a pass-through socket welded to a pipe about waist high with a 3' t-bar on the other end. I will ask around the yard and see what I can find. Thanks again, Tom
Old 05-06-2014, 10:57   #34

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

You'd be better served if you could borrow a torque wrench of appropriate size. Some tool rental stores may have one, it depends on where you are located.
I work for an OEM machinery builder/ engineering outfit so I have access to one from our shop, usually a 3/4" or 1" drive with the appropriate socket and extension will do. Since Tartan has been in business continuously they should be able to supply the torque spec, if not there may be a resource in one of the owner sites that could help.
I do know that when I rebedded the keel on my previous boat I did it this way and the results were very good. With a large arm on a wrench it's very easy to over torque a bolt. The recommended torque for that keel was 275 ft/lbs, way below the yield rating.
One thing with stainless nuts and bolts is that they tend to seize to each other by galling if even slightly over tightened.
Before attempting to tighten your keel bolts spray them with some type of penetrating oil every day for a week or two, then see if you can loosen them before attempting to torque them down. I didn't do this on one boat I owned many years ago and ended up having to drop the keel due to one galled keel bolt, even though I did all the work myself it was a big pain in the ass.
The typical torque for keel bolts is way below the torque ratings for bolts of that size, the keel bolts are usually sized for load bearing, not due to torque specs.
Again, like one of the posts already stated, only do this while on the hard.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 20:46   #35
TFR

Thank you all for the replies and information. It is really great to get tips and ideas prior to attempting a project for the first time. Avoiding a major mistake is.... Priceless!

Cheers, Tom

Tags
money