Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 15:14   #1

Boat: Currently boatless
Tartan 3700 & PSC 37 Owners

Hope this isn't going to be too wide.
A new to me sailboat purchase with primary sailing in Southern California--coastal cruising with some seasonal Mexico, Channel Islands & Central Coast (surfing). Also plan on PSSA races.

Generally light winds in the 5 to 15 knot range. Typical will be shorthanded and single-handed sailing (wife is sunshine & light winds).

I love the look of a Pacific Seacraft 37---
Wife will love the Tartan 3700.
Cutter is easy to single hand but may be slow in standard light winds here. Tartan will do quite well in light airs, but could be challenging for single-handing as wind pipes up.

1) How about some direct knowledge-input from owners of Tartan 3700 for single-handing...
2) How about some direct knowledge-input from owners of PSC 37 in the generally light airs in SoCal...

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
JimmyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 16:00   #2

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54
Re: Tartan 3700 & PSC 37 owners

Last year we bought a 3700 with the CCR rig primarily for the singlehanding ease as well as its performance in light air. We sail in Puget Sound and while there are some pretty good winds in the winter, the summers are generally very light air and I wanted something that would allow us to sail in the summer, not just motor everywhere. My wife loves sailing, and while the plan is to cruise to SE Alaska in the future, at this point my wife likes to relax on the boat and that means I do all the sailing. The setup with the CCR rig is great for singlehanding, if you aren't looking for every ounce of performance you just set the traveler to the center and then literally all you have to do is turn the wheel when you tack, it couldn't be easier. If you aren't racing and have an autopilot, it gets even better.

The CCR rig does suffer a bit upwind in light air (it is only a 95% jib) but the only time it becomes an issue is when I race... but I now race PHRF and having +9 seconds / mile for the smaller jib helps with that pain. For cruising, it is fine and we can keep the boat moving (albeit slowly) in as little as 2 knots of breeze whereas on our friends Catalina 42 we don't even bother raising the sails unless there is at least 7-8 knots of breeze.

The boat performs upwind best in 15-20 knots true staying more upright than most boats flying larger headsails, but performing just as well. We did a race two months ago with the wind a steady 20+ knots on the nose right from the start and after 2 hours of beating were just slightly ahead of a C&C 121 flying a larger headsail and heeling a great deal more, we were very pleased. If you are singlehanding during a race, the helm is very balanced and you could easily tack, lock the wheel on your new heading and then take a minute to adjust the traveler or sheets as you need to.

To deal with the light air performance downwind, we have an 0.75 ounce asymmetric that also works very well. I mounted it on a Facnor furler (there is a mounting tang for it on the 3700's) so we can deal with it from the cockpit, again with singlehanding and ease of use in mind.

From a cruising / creature comfort standpoint, we love the 3700's layout for a couple and can't think of anything we would really change.

Again, this is all based on the CCR rig. Happy to answer more questions if you like, hope this helps.

Steve
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 17:01   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Tartan 3700 & PSC 37 owners

The Tartan 3700 will run circles around a PSC 37 in light air. Look at their PHRFs. The Tartan is 102 and the PSC is 174. That is huge and it is even more pronounced in light air.

And your wife likes the Tartan. Need I say more.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 20:54   #4

Re: Tartan 3700 & PSC 37 Owners

I adore my Pacific Seacraft and would not want to own another boat. I have not sailed in the cruising area you are talking about, nor have i ever sailed a Tartan 3700.

Given you description of what you want in a boat, I would say it is a no brainer: go for the Tartan.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 18:55   #5

Boat: PSC 37 #359
I have sailed both the Tartan 3700 for a few weeks and now own a PSC 37. Only sailed in the Great Lakes though. My PSC 37 requires an asail for light air conditions, where the Tartan does not. Nonetheless, when we hit heavy weather the PSC 37 is ready and able. The Tartan is obviously roomier and I like that the head is toward the stern.

But what really drove my decision to go with the PSC 37? An incredibly well maintained, not too old, beautifully crafted boat available for sale in the year I was looking to purchase. It was not difficult. At least in the Great Lakes area there really wasn't and still isn't that many choices on the market in this premium production 36-40' category.

Good luck with your decision. I am passionate about my boat and have done all the little things to make her mine. Hope you have an equivalently good experience.
PSC 37 #359
seacurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 20:14   #6

Boat: Currently boatless

Thanks for all the input. Gotta go with what moves my soul and the Pacific Seacraft 37...Moves my soul.
I took possession a couple weeks ago...
Way Big Smile!
Old 14-04-2011, 06:23   #7

Good choice! That was really what drove my decision too. It is a love thing.

Make sure you also check here: Pacific Seacraft - SailNet Community
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 13:03   #8

Boat: PSC 37 #359

Congratulations!! Now the best part begins!
PSC 37 #359
seacurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 07:02   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, and congratulations on your new boat, JimmyP.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote