Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2009, 16:58   #16

Boat: Tartan T4400
Eder
Are you sure it has the deep draft? When we bought our T4400 3 years ago Tartan was not doing the deep drafts. One of the best things we did was have a surveyor go through the boat. He found many things that we were able to get Tartan to correct. I still had manny issues with the new boat. Tartans customer service was very poor while I was trying to get my warrenty issues solved. We ended not not getttng all of them corrected. I gave up with Tim and Andy. They made many promises about coming to look at it but never followed through.
I did not do a bow thruster. I put the cruiseair heat/Ac and it was well worth it. I went with B&G instruments auto pilot and simrad radar chart plotter. I do not hav much commercial traffic so I did not install and AIS system. I have a radar reflector on each side at the top spreader. For anchoring I did do an electric windlass. Some type of bimini is a must to get you out of sun and rain in the PNW.
I do love the way the boat sails. I would reccomend looking used one that might have most of the factory problems corrected.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 18:18   #17

Hi Gudgeon...the draft on the 3700CCR's I have looked at out here (PNW) have all been Draft: 7' 3". Thats pretty deep, but I understand its fine for most of my hemisphere.

I am curious as to what problems you had with your boat that were never resolved with your dealer/Tartan.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 18:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFR View Post
I own a Tartan 3700CCR, and am in the process of considering the purchase of a new Tartan 4300 with the CCR rig. The 3700 has been a great boat. My wife and I are in our 50's and sail the boat in all conditions with ease
Curious why you are considering a larger boat. Wife & I are in early 50's as well...the 3700CCR seems a perfect size for us.
Old 29-10-2009, 20:37   #19

Boat: Tartan T4400
Eder
Check your PM's.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 04:06   #20

Boat: hunter320, 2001, Endurance32
Eder -

I looked at a few 3700s in the past few months - last weekend I got to test sail a 2008 3700ccr in Annapolis. This was the boat at the show and a dealer demo. It sailed very nicely - full sail btw 18-22 knots.

I read many disturbing threads on Sailnet on 3700 & Tartan; structural and saildrive problems, etc. All very serious .... and, most disturbing is the lack of customer service from Tartan on some of the warranty issues. Not sure the current boats (08 and newer), and the current management are still have the similar issues ... ?????

There are 3 or 4 3700s (2008) on the market that I am considering but they all have 5' draft - where I am in NJ 5' is too deep, and have to have the k/cb put on. This k/cb option is one of the reason for my choosing a T3700. Tartan will do the swap out for ~$20k not including transport and commisioning.

Another disturbing matter is the warranty transfer; apparently the factory warranty gets limited unless the boat is purchased from a Tartan dealer - if boat is purchased from a non-dealer, it drops to 5 yrs to 2nd owner, and 0 yr to 3rd owner .... nice business modo!!!

Here is Tartan Warranty policy ....

Tartan Yachts Product Catalog

Rick
endurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 04:12   #21

Boat: hunter320, 2001, Endurance32
Hi Gudgeon -

Do you mind sharing some of your problems with Tartan? PM me, pls.

Thanks, Rick
endurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:52   #22
LFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
Curious why you are considering a larger boat. Wife & I are in early 50's as well...the 3700CCR seems a perfect size for us.
We intend to spend a good deal more time on the boat, and have our children join us for longer vacations. More space.
LFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 00:07   #23

Have you looked at other alternatives?

Seems like you looked at a boat and feel in love with it. That might not be the best thing because you might not be looking at it rationally. For instense, I remember boarding my first Beneteau. Beautiful. But today I would never want one for the type of sailing I want to do.

While I know nothing about Tartans other than they are supposed to be solid boats (don't know anything about current problems), I do know that you can get a lot of boat in excellent condition for much less money.

For example, I was looking at a Catalina 42 Mark II (1999) in the Great Lakes region. From the photo it looked like it was in excellent condition with lots of extras (including a dingy, motor and davits). Also, it had only been in fresh water. They were "asking" $129,000. I figured it could be had for less, but I would still want to add a few extras like a life raft, additional anchors and a few other things. But it sure is less than what you are looking at and the 42 Mark II, while not decked out with teak, is a very, very nice boat. I've sailed a bunch of Catalinas (25, 27, 31 and 36) and they have all been rock solid. I sail on the San Francisco Bay and they handle strong winds well. I'm sure that there are other brands, e.g. Hunter and Cal, that can be gotten quite reasonably and will give your wife the creature comforts she desires.

One other thing you should consider. How much "good looks" do you want in exchange for extra maintenance? I personally like no wood above deck because it reduces maintenance. Of course some people must have the wooden trim because it is traditional.

You mention one of my concerns ... draft. All the boats I see on the west coast have deep drafts even if the manufacturer offers a shorter fin keel. For example, the Catalina 42 comes with a standard keel and a fin keel. I seem to remember that the fin keel draws no more than 5.5 feet. That sure beats 7 feet.

Since I like monohulls, I'm not going to get a real shallow boat like a cat. But I'm certainly going to try to get something no more than 5.5 feet. That will limit the length of the boat, but the Catalina 42 is definitely enough boat for my wife and I and a couple of friends.

One of the instructors at the sailing club I belong cruises 6 months out of the year. His 44’ Nautic Santionge has a draft of a little over 6 feet. When he recently moved it to Florida he had trouble with the depth in places. In the Bahamas and South Pacific you will probably also have trouble with 7 feet. On the West Coast, Sea of Cortez and Carribbean you should be fine with 7 feet.

If you are interested in used boats with fin keels, then look for boats for sale in Florida. There are lots of them and good prices.

Marcus
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:16   #24

Hi all

A quick update...wife got sick with the C thing so my boat dream was over. I ended up buying a tag axle land yacht and have been driving around in circles in North America for almost 2 years now.

Seems wife's health is all systems go now and our house finally sold, so again I am sail boat shopping.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:45   #25

Re: Tartan 37 CCR

My wife and I recently bought a 1978 Tartan 37 in the Caribbean for $34,000 in good shape with good equipment, one tenth of your estimated cost. We spent four years cruising the pacific side of Mexico on our last boat and loved it but why spend so damn much money on a brand new boat that you will have to worry about every scratch and nick on?. The more expensive the boat the more headaches...Same money and buy something used....
bcarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 19:08   #26

hmmm...if things go correct I guess I just bought a 460 Island Packet...I think I am gonna **** myself

I will update
Old 29-12-2012, 19:37   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
hmmm...if things go correct I guess I just bought a 460 Island Packet...I think I am gonna **** myself

I will update
Read your current post and then read the entire thread...

Incredibly happy for you!!!!

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 21:51   #28

Boat: Endeavour 42

Eder-Congratulations! You can't go wrong w/an IP. Lot of $ up front but they hold their value well. Solid cruising boat w/strong support from the factory and owners community. IMO a much better choice than a new Tartan 37.
Old 21-04-2013, 09:51   #29

Hello all...thanks for the congratulations. The boat is officially mine! Getting the uv covers on the sails restiched, prop repitched, bottom paint redone & have changed all the fluids.
Now to learn to sail!
Old 21-04-2013, 10:10   #30

Congrats! wow...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote